Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowmageddon 13th & 14th Feb 2016 :)

Poster: A snowHead
Davidof - that's good but not as good as last Sunday when a Jet2 full of Total passengers aborted the landing at Chambery, diverted to Lyon spent 5 hours on the ground had another go at Chambery and then diverted to Clermont Ferrand for a night in a hotel and a 6 hour bus transfer to Tignes!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Had an interesting Easyjet flight from Bristol to Innsbruck a couple of weeks ago; went to land at Innsbruck, pilot pulled out or up just before landing, waited half an hour, had second attemp, put into Munich to refuel, no busses, so had another go trying to land at Innsbruck but pulled out again, then landed at Salzburg, we then picked up a hire car and sat for a couple of hours on the motorway while immigration controls were checking vehicles on the motorway ... Arrived at Ischgl eight hours late.

Note to self avoid Innsbruck and Chambery in the future.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A week's worth of snow clearing was fun last night. We left St Foy at 9am this morning, socks on down to La Thuile then just winters from there. Busy on the N90 but a good pace, got to Reims about half an hour a go (multi-baby-stops, not traffic).

A BMW with broken chains (one wrapped around the rear axel, ouch!) and summer tyres pulled in to the main public carpark in St Foy, then promptly got stuck just in front of me. Fortunately, they managed to reverse out of the way. They were more worried about getting daughter to ski school for 9am than sorting the car.

I love French motorways, but I don't love French motorway drivers. What is it about middle lane overtaking. If you get stuck in the "slow" lane, as any good drives knows is where you should be, you're done for. No indicating, just slow, hovering manoeuvres Evil or Very Mad. And the number I saw with a mass of snow on the roof, crazy.

Anyway, was all worth it:

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ansta1 wrote:
pam w wrote:
It's beginning to look very snowy on Friday night and Saturday, in many places. Would be ironic if the snowiest Saturday of the season is the beginning of the UK half term and Paris holidays.

@ansta1, pack some sandwiches and drinks in case the transfer takes forever.

My eyes and ears are now closed to any possible problems. The flight from CMF wto BHX will depart on time which means our flight from BHX will depart on time, i will have a good flight and a lovely scenic trip down the valley into CMF. The shed will be quiet and our luggage will come through quickly. The PT driver will help us with our gear for the 2 minutes walk to the air conditioned mercedes minibus, where we will have cold drinks and snacks provided on our 2 hours seamless transfer to the number 1 rated (tripadvisor) hotel in Val D'isere. We will arrive before the TO bus and will have our pick of hotel staff on hand to check us in to our very spacious rooms. I will plug in my heated boot bag and get my 130flex atomics supplied and fitted by CEM in to start warming ahead of first lifts on Monday morning. We will then retire to the bar for a pre dinner drink before sitting down to the 5 course meal, followed by a quick after dinner drink and then retire early for a good nights sleep.

What can possibly go wrong?

A quick update, apart from a short delay leaving BHX all went as planned CMF transit was quick and painless. No traffic at all on route.
Lovely room, great dinner. Now where is the 'smug' emoti?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Drove down yesterday. Possibly the fastest and easiest journey ever - 0620 crossing and checked into hotel below Les Gets by 16.00. A bit of rain but virtually zero traffic. Sunday transfer looks like the way to go! ( will be leaving on Friday to beat the return madness too)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Annie, We do a Sunday transfer whenever we can. Always makes me wonder why everyone doesn't do it!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@FIRSTOFTHEGIANTS, surprised you had problem with overtaking. Not all French driving is good driving, but I drive a great deal on French motorways and find their lane discipline much better than in the UK, which always bristles with members of the Middle Lane Owners Club.

What does mildly irritate me is their habit of overtaking, then pulling back into the inside lane so close in front of you that to leave a respectable distance you have to ease off speed a bit. Evil or Very Mad

@ansta1, that's great. snowHead The snow fortunately didn't live up to forecasts! I think from what my niece said that Friday afternoon was worse - they had chains (on their winter tyres) all the way up from Sallanches, which is very unusual.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@Annie, We do a Sunday transfer whenever we can. Always makes me wonder why everyone doesn't do it!

Maybe because if one is self driving and self catering there isn't a single CGH MGM apartment complex that gives that option in school holidays. I suspect most other apartment companies are also Sat to Sat at peak times. The direct ski train is only sat to sat. If you need ski school most of those run sun to fri.

Sun to sun is only available with certain TOs such as Club Med, Esprit.

If you are driving at half term you would also have to do the whole journey in one day to get back for school on Monday morning.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

If you are driving at half term you would also have to do the whole journey in one day to get back for school on Monday morning

With kids, I would do four hours driving on the Saturday (after a quieter day on the slopes Saturday) evening then complete the journey on Sunday. The availability of self catering accommodation is certainly a problem in France. Maybe less so in other destinations. With good organisation it would be possible to leave the accommodation on Saturday morning, then "ski from the car" the rest of the day. But a bit of a hassle.

The ESF in Les Saisies offers group lessons Sunday - Friday OR Monday - Friday. They can't be the only ones.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pam w, If I'm paying for a high end apartment at school holiday prices I would not want to waste a few hundred pounds by not staying the last night. It would also make the holiday seem short. If one is driving on a sat to sat holiday you still have the option of skiing the first Saturday afternoon and all the final Saturday before leaving at 4pm and stopping somewhere en route for Saturday night.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
and you have the added cost of another nights accommodation on the journey.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There is no easy way of doing a half term holiday - it's just a case of deciding which option is most attractive for your own family. Most people with kids will break a drive to and from resort, so there's extra accommodation cost regardless of what day you leave resort.

Personally I find a very early start from an apartment where you have to clean before you leave (including my own.....) is hard work. Especially with a family to organise. When I know I have to be up at 5 am I never sleep that well anyway - so I start off feeling that I've been up all night anyway. Certainly skiing on the final Saturday and leaving on Saturday evening is a good option, though takes a bit of thinking about with kids, when you can't get back into your accommodation after leaving by 10 am.

But none of the options is easy or cheap - and that, added to the fact that you are likely to encounter substantial lift queues, is why I have never yet been on a week's ski holiday at half term! It's hardly compulsory...

And if I did decide on a half term holiday, it probably wouldn't be to France.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've spent half term, and New Year, in the Alps but nowhere near the downhill slopes, and not on the roads at peak times. That makes it all fine!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells wrote:
and you have the added cost of another nights accommodation on the journey.

Not sure if this was in response to my post but we always do an en route hotel both ways anyway.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Archbishop of Canterbury is talking about fixing the date of Easter. Snowsports lovers should petition for it to be fixed as early as possible! Take the heat off the half term rush.
latest report
pam w wrote:
The Archbishop of Canterbury is talking about fixing the date of Easter. Snowsports lovers should petition for it to be fixed as early as possible! Take the heat off the half term rush.

Good luck with that - how's he going to persuade the Vatican. It's probably easier for parents to all form a Church of the Divine Powder and make holy observances the first week in March.
snow conditions
@pam w, We haven't been in half term either. My thoughts were re: Sunday changeover in school hols in general.

I completely agree that cleaning up on the last morning of the holiday is a chore. One of the nice things about the CGH MGM apartments is that you don't have to clean them other than a quick whizz round the kitchen and stripping the beds. On one occasion the apartment complex wasn't going to be that busy the week after our stay so the Manager said we could leave whenever we liked on the Saturday. This is not usually offered so we and our friends were lucky. We were going on to another resort but they were able to ski for the morning and pack at a leisurely pace.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:

Probably better for it to be late so resorts stay open longer, no?
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
pam w wrote:

Easter is fixed - It is always the first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox.

Is it not the fixed on your new-fangled Julian calendars then? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Some of us use the Gregorian calendar. It is allegedly better than the Julian Very Happy

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 15-02-16 17:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

Probably better for it to be late so resorts stay open longer, no?

No, I don't think so. Not in France, at any rate. In France Easter is low season. Our resort always closes around 23/24 April (whenever the Friday is) regardless of the date of April. Some of the nicest places to ski are relatively low altitude, so an early Easter does make for better conditions (the lower resorts in the Espace Diamant start closing from early April and in a poor year will have been rubbish for a while before that).

So an Easter like this year, falling squarely in March, is a Good Thing as far as I'm concerned. I have a big family party, which has been some time in the organising, with 20 - 25 people. It would be a bit of a gamble to do that for mid April, though conditions are sometimes excellent.

I know you can go to Tignes and Val Thorens then, and have a good chance of OK conditions. But who wants always to go to the Tarentaise?
snow report
Just looked at the Morzine village webcam in preparation for eating my words about there never being any snow there. What on earth happened?????? I thought there was meant to be a major dump happening last weekend. It looks like a mere dusting on the rooves and the grass is still green. Was Snowmageddon just hype? Did it miss Paradisiki?
ski holidays
Morzine is not in Paradiski, @foxtrotzulu wink
ski holidays
@snowymum, it was in reply to the one suggesting leaving resort a night early i.e. Saturday evening intead of Sunday morning. Not everyone would have an overnight stop if they left early morning. Many people in the south could drive it in a day. We always have an overnight stop too.
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Just looked at the Morzine village webcam in preparation for eating my words about there never being any snow there. What on earth happened?????? I thought there was meant to be a major dump happening last weekend. It looks like a mere dusting on the rooves and the grass is still green. Was Snowmageddon just hype? Did it miss Paradisiki?

Too warm this year for places like Morzine. A number of low resorts have already decided to shut for the season.
latest report
pam w wrote:
Morzine is not in Paradiski, @foxtrotzulu wink
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Of course it isn't! Silly me. Not thinking.

Did it not snow in Morzine, or has it melted since or been washed away?
ski holidays
Quote:

Too warm this year for places like Morzine.

It depends. Praz sur Arly and Notre Dame de Bellecombe, at their base, are not much higher but the Espace Diamant is 100% open. 158 pistes out of 158. All looking pretty snowy on the webcams.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Too warm this year for places like Morzine.

It depends. Praz sur Arly and Notre Dame de Bellecombe, at their base, are not much higher but the Espace Diamant is 100% open. 158 pistes out of 158. All looking pretty snowy on the webcams.

There are only about 30 or so pistes closed in the Morzine area - I suspect the very lowest and south facing. They say lake Geneva adds an average of 4C to the local climate.

As for snowfall, 153cm since the start of February at 1800 meters and 262cm in January which is over 4 meters since the start of the year. However the snowpack hasn't really become established at lower altitudes but is good from 1300 meters - unfortunately 300 meters above the village. Still there should be skiable snow down to around 1000 meters in the area. The big village webcam points towards south facing slopes though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
foxtrotzulu wrote:

People have generalised about snow at <1500m this year, but - being 'on the ground' I think there is a significant difference in conditions and snow levels between 1000 and 1200m this year and, of course, there's the not insignificant aspect factor. We've got plenty of snow at bottom lift/chalet level (1200m)... which the regular snowHeads staying here this week would testify to I'm sure so this is not an overly positive 'pimping' post... and - as (no need to 'pimp') Pam said - Notre Dame de Bellecombe (1150m) which is very close by is doing well too. I think the PDS pretty much gets similar conditions to here and that Morzine is at 1000m? I would be surprised if conditions over there weren't different just a tiny bit higher.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 15-02-16 23:49; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Ah, cross post with @davidof!
ski holidays
jonathancarty wrote:
Just got on the ferry in Dover to the captain announcing that there are 800 teenagers on board and asking for responsible behaviour. He sounded a bit wired if I'm honest...

How did you get on the ferry at 12?. We got there at 10 but were sent back out. Got on the 2 am ferry but thanks to my trusted satnav avoided the chambery carnage and only had about 20 minutes delays until we were about 20 km from moutiers when bloody police turned us onto the n90. We did make it to picking up the keys at 17.
latest report
davidof wrote:
They say lake Geneva adds an average of 4C to the local climate.

I'd be interested to hear who says that about Morzine.

I think it's probably true of Montreux, which also being shielded from the Bise by the hills, has a genuine microclimate such that palm trees grow there. Palms don't survive here in Lausanne, which is also as close as you can get to lake Geneva without getting wet, because the hills are too small to have the same effect.

Morzine however, is approx 30km from lake Geneva, as the crow flies. This seems too far to receive a warming effect from the lake.
snow report
philipb wrote:
@pam w, yes but we've been stopped before and always let through as have snow tyres. It's just stupid, snow tyres on a 4x4 are far better than chains on a 2 wheel drive - just jobsworth gendarmes making a point and then buggering off.

This will be why my son spun his Audi 4wd right in front of me in my 2 wheel drive Corsa then. There is so much tosh written on here about driving in winter conditions. When the going gets tough you NEED chains, if you didn't all of the farmers wouldn't have them on their multi wheel drive vehicles. 4X4 only gets you deeper into the doo doo before it spits you out!
snow conditions
You need traction/grip whatever you've got especially to get down.
latest report
@pam w, yes, the pulling back in about a metre from your nose does seem a little dangerous. You're right though, on reflection and having driven M26/M25/M4 back to Bristol after my comment, they do have far better lane discipline than Brits. It does help that a lot of the toll roads are two lanes. I learnt to replicate the "pull out to overtake regardless of what is coming up the fast lane" manoeuvre and all was fine.

Eurotunnel tip - don't book the wrong month on your return leg. On-the-day tickets are £169 (despite there being about three cars on the 12:10 yesterday) and they will hit you with the excess without discussion. No customer services to have a polite chat about your inability to use an online booking form, just a curt French lady saying "pay up or bug off".

Ouch.
ski holidays
miranda wrote:
Ah, cross post with @davidof!

Well we agree pretty much and I have absolutely no need to pimp your area.
latest report
snoozeboy wrote:
davidof wrote:
They say lake Geneva adds an average of 4C to the local climate.

Morzine however, is approx 30km from lake Geneva, as the crow flies. This seems too far to receive a warming effect from the lake.

Maybe not 4C but it may have more effect on Morzine than Praz sur Arly. I was just looking for reasons why there may not be snow at 1000m at Morzine and snow at 1000m at Praz a bit further south. A degree would make a difference.
snow report
Quote:

don't book the wrong month on your return leg

Ouch. Eurotunnel tickets are pretty flexible. You can turn up any time BEFORE the booked date, or within 24 hours after. Tickets are valid for 12 months but you have to ring and change the booking if you want to postpone more than 24 hours. But yes, if it's more than 24 hours and you haven't change it - tough! A Yorkshire friend of mine who couldn't be bothered to book in advance once turned up on the spot - never again!
ski holidays
I booked March instead of February so it was still valid (I'm a compulsive checker, I've no idea how I managed it), but had to make up the difference on a £69 ticket, so an extra £100 (although probably more like £80 on top of the ticket I should have bought).

I have no real argument, but it was clearly a mistake which I think could have been handled better with good customer service. It's certainly put me off using them. I have emailed them anyway, so will see what they say ("tough", most likely).
snow report
FIRSTOFTHEGIANTS wrote:
("tough", most likely).
I think you will be surprised. there is no point arguing at the gate as the not empowered ' Computer says no'. you may end up with a voucher for another crossing and then you will have enough for another ski trip. Very Happy . had a similar situation turning up early for a ferry (+24 hours) late one night, so few cars you could them on one hand. I complained that i didnt mind paying the admin fee to change the booking but that it was unfair for surcharging me due to the fact it was so empty.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 16-02-16 14:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy