Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowmageddon 13th & 14th Feb 2016 :)

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

do you want me to lead the way or to follow you? I hope we can get on an earlier ferry though and leave you to your own devices.

We have a similar plan, trying to get to Dover early but I think chances of getting on an earlier ferry fairly slim. We're the black bus full of children with several sledges lashed onto the bike carrier. I'd stay well clear if I were you!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ansta1, If Carlsberg did ski transfers snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alpe d'Huez's viewpoint

https://www.facebook.com/alpe.huez/posts/878698468915111:0
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The great rush to the tunnel has begun... and it'll only get worse.
Aiming to do the gentle climb up to Morzine around 8am tomorrow morning (assuming we get to Folkstone by midnight!).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just a heads-up, CGT union will be distributing leaflets at the toll booths at the entrance of Albertville on Saturday between 10am and 1.30 pm, expect delays.

https://www.facebook.com/AlerteRadarHauteSavoieSavoie/posts/583927558438903
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Deep joy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And just to add to the mix Geneva is currently experiencing heavy snow, stuff is already diverting or spending a lot of time in the hold - as I said on the weather thread its going to be a frustrating afternoon at GVA.

@davidof, But hopefully they wont be blocking the road between Albertville and Moutiers with their 'Carbon Savoie Cortege' (15kph) or blocking the access to the 3V like earlier in the week.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you are travelling this weekend BRING SNACKS for your transfer and power packs etc. for phones. I suspect it will be chaos on the roads and delays to your journey are likely.

If you`re driving - bring chains and know how to put them on. They have issued warning that chains will be needed this weekend in Morzine and Les Gets so if you don`t have them - don`t bother trying to get up here and blocking the roads for everyone else.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My guests were due to leave today but have asked to stay an extra night because of the snow. I thought it was because of the good skiing conditions, but now I'm not so sure, and I think they may have already delayed departure because of the road conditions. Now they mya not like the current forecast for overnight, as they are now planning on leaving in the morning.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
"carnage" on the descent from Val d'Isere and Tignes due to drivers without chains according to locals.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pretty chaotic here already today. People digging cars out and fitting chains all over the place. There's been very little open this afternoon on the slopes.

I popped in to see Rachel in the Tourist Office this morning, just to wind her up I asked about chains, she'd been inundated with calls about them. We'd spoken about the stupid "will i need chains and what will the snow be like in April" questions at a party on Tuesday. I actually wanted snowshoeing itineraries Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dav = from radio Val:

"Pagaille sur la route" (in a mess)

That was a new one on me!!!

Hopefully les Flics will be out very early in the morning to stop the 'chain chancers' so the whole thing doesn't bung up. The only respite is the freezing level will be a bit higher tomorrow, so once down to Bourg/Moutiers it should flow easier - the emphasis being on 'once'.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Hells Bells, anybody who thought it was a bit snowy to leave today and reckons they'll have an easier trip tomorrow is...... maybe a bit misguided.

Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There isn't anyone going in until Sunday, so it would be OK for them to stay until then depending on what plans have been made for the cleaning. I have let M know that if it is necessary I am happy for them to stay on Saturday night too. ##
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The traffic report for the roads is already diabolical http://www.inforoute05.fr/wir3/circulation.html
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee wrote:
If you are travelling this weekend BRING SNACKS for your transfer and power packs etc. for phones. I suspect it will be chaos on the roads and delays to your journey are likely.

If you`re driving - bring chains and know how to put them on. They have issued warning that chains will be needed this weekend in Morzine and Les Gets so if you don`t have them - don`t bother trying to get up here and blocking the roads for everyone else.

After reading this I've just done another trial run just to make sure the chains are all ok!
snow report
A cold, grey day in Clapham Junction suddenly seems unusually attractive!
snow conditions
Poxy weather and traffic. I've just had to decline meeting someone, who I very much want to meet, in Chambery tomorrow Sad It would be madness though I suspect I'd spend all day in jams down and up Shocked Will just have to wait another week!
snow conditions
Not all bad - Eurotunnel not reporting any delays at the moment.
ski holidays
From La Plagne on Facebook and Twitter
Quote:
❄ [traffic info] ❄
Heavy snowfall!
If you take the road this weekend to come to la plagne montalbert, please follow the following tips:
• Snow tires or chains required - the vehicles not equipped will not be allowed to pass.
• Remember to let your channels accessible and, before you go, make a installation test on your vehicle.
• Listen to the radio in order to know in real time traffic conditions.
• Do not exceed the gear of snow removal in the course of the intervention. (Don't overtake snowploughs)
• Get yourself kitted of warm clothes, a flashlight and water.
• and in case of Cork, (Traffic Jam) do not leave your vehicle without being invited by the forces of order!
Good road and be careful!
snow report
Bvgger, my channels are completely inaccessible.

You'd think there might be one native English speaker in La Plagne who'd check the translation for a €50 bung or a free lunch but I guess not.

Feckin idiots.
snow conditions
And what about cork (nasty wine) - just drink it and carry on driving?
snow conditions
@under a new name, On Twitter and Facebook there are similar messages from the Prefecture and La Plagne PR dept - all in French, despite boasting 30% of their visitors being from the UK. As you say - idiots. At least Montalbert tried....
ski holidays
In case of Cork...hahahaha!
snow report
@boredsurfin, it really irritates me. I don't mind, to an extent, restaurants screwing up, but for officials to put out official warnings through Google translate?

Idiots.
ski holidays
Some delaya at Euro tunnel but doesn't seem too bad.
ski holidays
Is Cork the EUR50 bung? Those Frenchies and their ripoff peak season prices

Te - hee Sometimes it feels good to know you'll be driving a desk next week rather than ripping the pistes.

Best of luck to the afflicted. Iplayer your tablet/phone to the max and zone out. wink
ski holidays
Did Turin* and back today, fair amount of mayhem as was to be expected as people were leaving today rather than tomorrow.

Saw and encountered some crazy antics and sights rolling eyes

As I often say you might have the best 4x4 etc but all it often takes is a couple of muppets to feck things up for everyone!

Was amazed walking back tonight how many cars are still encased in a weeks snow, there's going to be a lot of fractious digging out tomorrow.

*involves going up and over Col du Montgenevre twice.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had a call from my niece and family, who arrived at my apartment tonight. They said roads from Sallanches up were significantly affected by snow. One of their chains broke (it's a long way.....) but he had a spare pair and so was able to carry on. They had a slow journey up, several times stopping to push cars which had ground to a halt, and help with chains.

Tomorrow is going to be mayhem on the roads. Anyone leaving resort needs to be out really early (ie not 0930 after a leisurely breakfast rolling eyes) to have a chance of a decent run down.
snow report
@pam w, Too many people took your advice and left today Toofy Grin

No problem Tignes to Albertville late morning despite the snow. After doing some shopping in Albertville it took two and a half hours to Chambery. Tucked up in a nice hotel in Aix lex Bains in the hope Chambery airport is working tomorrow.
snow report
@under a new name, they wouldn't even need to do that - I offer to do it for free on a yearly basis - and they never send anything through. And the lady who runs the accommodation booking stuff is English so it would take one minute to check!

I would second the advice above about chains/snacks etc - and start early if you can. We've been in Annecy today and driving back this evening there are a lot of cars on the road in both directions - it's going to be a crazy day tomorrow!
snow report
@Snow and Sunshine, The last (ie. not the current one) Montalbert tourism manager wouldn't even speak English, apparently he could, even though Montalbert has around 40% UK customers...
The new guy quite happily chats in English and has returned to producing bi lingual guides etc.
latest report
We're currently in St Foy, but not leaving until Sunday.

Our friends have an early flight but are nervous about leaving in the dark due to conditions. They have a hire car with summer tyres and chains on. Does anyone know how frequently the main road up to Tignes/Val and the link into St Foy gets ploughed over night? Would be good to reassure them that they're not going to be driving through a foot of powder.
ski holidays
Currently sat in room at Novotel in Beaune reading these threads. Was planning to set off for Ste Foy at 8am tomorrow but now pondering an early start. Worth it or makes no difference?
latest report
@FIRSTOFTHEGIANTS, I would have thought that they would be doing their best to keep things open and moving, however we did have to wait at Aime for several hours in a bus shelter in the freezing cold when we weer left there by a taxi driver. We were waiting for a coach from Tignes. So who knows?
snow conditions
@darrenm, I would be tempted to get a good breakfast in me and set off a soon as possible.
ski holidays
I have no knowledge to impart but if you get here OK you'll have an epic day tomorrow!
latest report
Sounds like a plan. Breakfast served from 6:30 so hopefully on the road 7/7:30. Whatever happens it will all be worth it when we arrive Very Happy
latest report
@Hells Bells, ouch, that sounds pants!

I think I'll just try and enjoy tomorrow and not worry about it for the moment.
snow report
Went from Meribel to Villars today and it was shocking for most of the time especially around Geneva and Lausanne. Even had the wonderful experience on the motorway of the car in font spinning into the crash barriers and being spun around to face us, before spinning another 180 degrees and carrying on in the right direction. Lost count of the number of collisions and cars off the road between Annecy and Montreux. Horrible day to be on the roads.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy