Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Pancras, food/drink after security?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello, given the new alcohol ban on the overnight eurostar from st Pancras to bourg st Maurice, is there anywhere after security at st Pancras where you can buy food and drink, perhaps a bottle of wine with the cork still in or a few unopened beers? I have recommended the snow train to some friends this year before we realised about the ban and fear I will get lynched when they find out we can't buy a beer on the train? Many thanks in advance.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@peteo99, it's an alcohol ban, so I doubt it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks - anyone with recent first hand knowledge? Cheers
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Eurostar wrote:
Night trains (including our overnight direct ski train)

On these journeys, we don't sell alcohol on board or allow travellers to bring their own alcohol with them. Any alcohol is confiscated during check-in and only non-alcoholic drinks in sealed bottles are allowed to pass through security at your departure station.

This policy helps us make sure that everyone can enjoy a relaxed ambience on board and that we all arrive bright-eyed, fresh-faced and set for their holiday.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes thanks I have read the Eurostar info.

However after check in and security is there any facilities i.e. Restaurants, cafes etc... Where one might be able to buy a bottle of wine?

Thanks
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There is a bar/cafe beyond the security, but they will only sell you alcohol by the glass. What would the point of a ban be, if you could buy unopened alcohol after all of the checks?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks, that is just the info I was looking for.

IME These sort of rules are not always rigidly enforced as they are not necessarily a safety issue more a behaviour issue! so thought I would ask, it is a shame that they have had to ban alcohol altogether as a result of the actions of a few.

Cheers
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There is a bar where you can buy, once through security, but we saw people who bought some bottles from there and put them in their rucksacks only to be approached as they headed for the train, to be told they had been seen doing so (cctv) and that said bottles must be handed over or they're not getting on the train (thickies and pedants alike please note the correct uses of there, their and they're within that sentence).

What we did was have a few beers in the pub before going through security, then drank another in the bar once through. As we were going in the premier class they also gave us wine or beer with dinner. 'Twas enough to get a goodish kip and not have the remotest sign of a hangover for the Saturday ski, so nowhere near as bad an idea as we thought !
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
peteo99 wrote:
....it is a shame that they have had to ban alcohol altogether as a result of the actions of a few.

Very true but I have to agree it is necessary. People who are trying to booze the journey away may not necessarily be 'misbehaving' but may simply be talking and laughing which can disturb those around them.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great thanks, yes we're not looking to have a party on the train, just nice to start the holiday with a beer and a catch up with friends. We are travelling cattle class so no free wine for us unfortunately! Thanks for taking the time to respond.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gaza wrote:
peteo99 wrote:
....it is a shame that they have had to ban alcohol altogether as a result of the actions of a few.

Very true but I have to agree it is necessary. People who are trying to booze the journey away may not necessarily be 'misbehaving' but may simply be talking and laughing which can disturb those around them.

Yes fair point. We've not been on the train before but have read a couple of the horror stories online!
Cheers
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://coolpile.com/gadgets-magazine/43-cool-gadgets-to-help-you-sneak-booze-almost-everywhere Smile

One of my friends used to drill a hole in coke cans on the bottom, top them up with vodka, then reseal them using a soldering iron when we went to festivals
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Little Martin wrote:
http://coolpile.com/gadgets-magazine/43-cool-gadgets-to-help-you-sneak-booze-almost-everywhere Smile

One of my friends used to drill a hole in coke cans on the bottom, top them up with vodka, then reseal them using a soldering iron when we went to festivals

That's quite some effort and ingenuity!

Thanks for the link, we'll see how we get on!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fill up a Camelback and stick it in your luggage?

Having been on the night train a couple of times, cattle and standard premier, I think it is probably for the best. Both journeys I went on were absolute carnage and I wouldn't dream of doing it again (if it were the same) with a child.

Isn't it about time Eurostar introduced a sleeper?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We travelled on the night train on 08/01 from London and had a carriage full of drinkers - they hadn't taken notice of the lovely and friendly security people threatening to throw them off for non declaration of alcohol and had bought shed loads in Marks and Spencers... they were good humoured and no trouble and we had a trouble free night! On the return journey, the overnight train was selling booze in the buffet - seems they are only concerned with the outward bound journey!!
snow report
FIRSTOFTHEGIANTS wrote:

Isn't it about time Eurostar introduced a sleeper?

This will never happen as they would have to develop a sleeper that meets Channel Tunnel regulations (none currently do) from scratch, an they are not going to spend hundreds of millions of pounds on a train that gets used twice a week for less than half of the year... If you want a sleeper to the Alps then the only realistic prospect is to change at Paris...
ski holidays
macduff wrote:
We travelled on the night train on 08/01 from London and had a carriage full of drinkers - they hadn't taken notice of the lovely and friendly security people threatening to throw them off for non declaration of alcohol and had bought shed loads in Marks and Spencers... they were good humoured and no trouble and we had a trouble free night! On the return journey, the overnight train was selling booze in the buffet - seems they are only concerned with the outward bound journey!!

My son recently took the train to Les Arcs and he and his 3 friends also bought wine from the M&S with no issues.
snow conditions
@froomie, oh yeah, I know really. It was a bit of a flippant comment.

I should concede, I've never been on the ski train outbound sober.
ski holidays
Steveee wrote:
macduff wrote:

My son recently took the train to Les Arcs and he and his 3 friends also bought wine from the M&S with no issues.

Cheers, sounds like we will be able to grab a couple of beers then.

I assume that M&S is before the security checks? I've not been through st Pancras before
snow report
Yes, it's on the main concourse of shops.

If you're partial to a slightly more upmarket tipple, I can highly recommend http://sourcedmarket.com, it's at the end of the main concourse, on the corner. A great selection of beers and food to take away.
snow conditions
FIRSTOFTHEGIANTS wrote:
Yes, it's on the main concourse of shops.

If you're partial to a slightly more upmarket tipple, I can highly recommend http://sourcedmarket.com, it's at the end of the main concourse, on the corner. A great selection of beers and food to take away.

Thanks, will check it out.
snow conditions
Has anyone been on the train recently? I was wondering how strictly they are implementing the booze ban? Not looking to get pissed and rowdy but we like to share a nice bottle on the way out to our holiday.
ski holidays
@skim, all the above is about experience since the ban was introduced
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy