Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beware buying lift passes online - mine were stolen in the post!

Poster: A snowHead
Just a warning for fellow "beat the queues" kind of snowheads. I ordered our family lift pass for Val D'Isere online to be delivered home last week. It arrived this morning in a Post Office "this item is damaged and it's not our fault because it's from a foreign land" bag. The corner was ripped off and all the family lift passes were gone - they left behind my daughters under 5 free lift pass!! I have called and they reissued no questions asked so I will now pick them up in resort but it kind of defeats the object as I will have to queue with everyone else!

The thief will have known what they were after as it is clearly labelled Val D"Isere Telepherique - but the passes are now cancelled so I can't really see the point??

Anyway there you go - just thought I would share!

Shocked
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for the warning.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd say you were just unlucky in this instance, I've bought my passes online for a while now and never had any issues.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd imagine if the person tries to use it, it'll come up stolen, and they'll be dealt with appropriately
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Presumably there were photos on as well? Stupid thieves.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes I guess so Little Martin - which makes me wonder why anyone would bother - unless they sell on to unsuspecting people who then have useless lift passes??
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No photos - they were only week passes for Dec 26th
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Skikitten1972, How bizarre, I agree you do wonder why anyone would bother, maybe they're just being petty t**ts
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
...or it just got ripped and some of the passes fell out.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
To be sure if they are stolen and someone tries to use them they will probably be allowed through the gates and just after they are in the air the lift will stop and the gendarmes will be called.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes maybe adithorp but a very deliberate corner tear and funny how the only one left was the free one ....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I don't think its buying online that folks should beware of - it seems like the problem was solved appropriately. It's buying lift passes (that may be stolen) from unofficial channels that should be the concern. Unfortunately the real victim (the one suffering financial loss and a spoiled holiday) here is probably the person who gets stopped at the gate with the bargain lift pass they bought.
@Skikitten1972, Not saying you're not a victim, just that you were fortunate to only suffer inconvenience and annoyance.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Completely agree Tubaski - it's no big deal to me really other than having to queue on busy Boxing Day/27th Dec. And yes I guess the real thing to beware is buying lift passes anywhere other than official channels.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've just received my documentation (or what's left of it) for my Grand Massif season passes. The envelope was ripped at both ends so some of the freebies had gone missing. Luckily, the free day passes were still there, but I was very unimpressed - I don't think that it had been tampered with, rather that the envelope was made from very poor quality paper.

I had recharged our existing cards so no real harm done, but I can't see many GM pass cards making it to their destination based on my experience.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I ordered online for PDS last year, two friends did the same (separately), theirs arrived in good time , mine never did. one phone call to the resort before we left from a helpful french friend and I just showed them my confirmation email and they issued me new passes no questions asked. suppose it was just bad luck, but i won't be having them delivered again, just in case!
latest report
Skikitten1972 wrote:
Yes I guess so Little Martin - which makes me wonder why anyone would bother - unless they sell on to unsuspecting people who then have useless lift passes??

That's what they do.
snow report
Do you suppose that they think they are credit cards?
snow conditions
I'm not sure i completely follow the logic for

'my cards were nabbed in the post, so will never have them delivered again'

If there had been problems getting replacements from the lift companies, sure, but nobody it seems has had any problems with that part it seems.
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
To be sure if they are stolen and someone tries to use them they will probably be allowed through the gates and just after they are in the air the lift will stop and the gendarmes will be called.

I think that's pretty unlikely. Allowed through the gates maybe, but probably stopped at the gates and jumped on by burly lifties.
ski holidays
No, but dangling in the air till the gendarmes arrive would be more fun (at least for the real crims.)

Have had several credit cards (well ATM cards) arrive in the bank branded envelope. And the PIN arrive on the same day in a bank branded envelope. Doesn't exactly take an awful lot of brain cells to suss out what you have in your hands if you're a dodgy postie.

Wouldn't buy passes online. Only time I've had a queue longer than 2 people in front of me was when they were part of my group and we bought tickets individually. Just remember to take a valid card (and valid ID if 8days or more).
ski holidays
@andy, +1 one. I've never had to queue more than 2 person deep for a lift pass, Peak or non-Peak weeks
latest report
andy wrote:

Wouldn't buy passes online. Only time I've had a queue longer than 2 people in front of me was when they were part of my group and we bought tickets individually. Just remember to take a valid card (and valid ID if 8days or more).

We saved 20% on our 7 day PDS passes for March by buying online before end of september. Of course this time (as the time before) we just entered our number on the website, but the first time 3 years ago I was happy enough for the cards to be sent through the post. What's to worry about, if they go astray, they'll cancel and reissue.

If I wasn't saving any money I wouldnt bother of course, just buy on arrival.
snow conditions
For those that want them to dangle, this could well be an option.

Many years ago I worked at a major stadium in UK, stewarding. We were informed of any tickets in our area that had been stolen and also knew the names of those that had the genuine tickets. Generally the stolen tickets turned up first and we let them take their seats, then called the heavies in. Smile If the genuines turned up while the seats were occupied, we had reserves where we could seat them. Every genuine person was thankful something was being done and they would get to see who had paid a tout for the tickets. Smile
snow report
Skikitten1972, You may not have to queue up to collect your passes, I would expect them to be held in the "office" part of the lift company, the Tignes ones are.
snow conditions
@under a new name, That's what happened on the Chaudannes Chair in Tignes 4 years ago. Someone stole a wallet and was daft enough to keep it and use the lift pass. Lift company called the lift it was stopped, gendarmes skidooooed to the top and felt the collar of the thief by the Lo Soli restaurant.
ski holidays
Quick update. I ordered our family passes for Val D'isere last week, they arrived yesterday and the envelope had clearly been opened. All the passes were still there and all the numbers matched up so fingers crossed that they will still work. Not sure if someone had a look and decided they didn't want them or something else happened but the envelope was clearly tampered with.

hmmmm.
ski holidays
@ansta1, I ordered my EK passes and they arrived within 3 days. Everything was intact.
snow conditions
There's a similar problem that has been reported locally in Austria. People arriving in resort buy or pick up their lift passes on Saturday afternoon and promptly put them in the lift-pass pocket on the sleeve of their ski jackets. They then go for a cheeky beer or two or a meal, hang their jackets up and being tired from the journey, are not too alert to any light-fingered chaps who can feel the pass and extract it in a nano-second, before selling it on to some unsuspecting punter later in the day.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ansta1, Is your postman called Hugo?
latest report
@blahblahblah, no, but one of our dogs is!
snow conditions
quinton wrote:
There's a similar problem that has been reported locally in Austria. People arriving in resort buy or pick up their lift passes on Saturday afternoon and promptly put them in the lift-pass pocket on the sleeve of their ski jackets. They then go for a cheeky beer or two or a meal, hang their jackets up and being tired from the journey, are not too alert to any light-fingered chaps who can feel the pass and extract it in a nano-second, before selling it on to some unsuspecting punter later in the day.

really ? which area does this affect ? any links to news stories ? ta
snow conditions
I bought 4 passes from L2A and they arrived within days, I'd say excellent service to be fair to them
snow report
@quinton, but presumably they are "smart" passes which can be cancelled electronically. Still an absolute pain, though.
ski holidays
I also bought passes for Verbier which arrived last week with two of the three missing.
Times are hard in Switzerland as they could only afford a cheap envelope to post ,hence why it ripped rolling eyes
As previously pointed out passes will be cancelled and re-issued on arrival so pointless stealing them.
snow report
My Ski Amadé pass bought online arrived by recorded delivery, although to be fair my local sorting office didn't understand whether to make me sign for it or pay for it. That seems to be the obvious answer to light-fingered postal employees.
snow report
Keep the Keycards from other resorts and if you can do so, just reuse them next year. No postage required, and no risk of theft. Not all systems are compatible of course, but a lot use Keycard.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy