Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flights booked to Turin.Now what?

Poster: A snowHead
I'd really appreciate some help as our boys trip looks a bit out of sorts and in need of a turbo charge. There are 15 of us heading to Turin airport on March 2nd to March 6th for a few days skiing. All good skiers, all sensible, ages ranging from 40 to 68. We've got accommodation booked in Sauze D'Oulx in a place we used two years ago but the snow looks poor and it doesn't look like its getting this season's snow. (I Know anything an happen in the next four weeks but I'd rather book somewhere else now).

We are looking at self catering or b and b, walking distance to lifts/restaurants/bars and have identified a bunch of places. I'd be really interested to hear any thoughts on accommodation in;

Argentiere/Cham/les Houches
Champoluc
Breuil Cervinia

I'd also be interested to hear about any other decent resorts within two hours or so of Turin. We will have mini vans so could take accommodation a short drive from lifts - as long as we can eat and drink somewhere half decent within walking distance of the accommodation.

Any thoughts will be read and considered!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Champoluc, Courmayeur, La Thuile. Do some research, snow's okay, accommodation should be bargain. All 3 resorts have decent skiing, varied night life, choice.

I'm out there in 10 days time, easy drive from Turin to Val d'Aosta, enjoy!!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep, aosta valley, a winner. Pila great and is a working town so loads of accommodation. If you have vans can do a day there then do la Thuile and ski to la rossiere and also do courmayeur for a day.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We just got back from Cervinia. Great on piste snow, excellent food, decent nightlife (Monday night is the big one) the only thing I found lacking was steepness and variation in the slopes but I'm a snowboarder so what would I know? Plus you've got Zermatt just over the top if you fancy something more challenging.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@skribble,
As far as the French options are concerned, it is still French holidays which could make them very busy.
If you are not bothered about that Serre Che and the Maurienne valley are both convenient from Turin.
Courmayeur and La Thuile both pretty good but La Thuile was lacking any form of night life on my stay if that is important.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks guys. I like the AOSTA Valley and I've skied courmayeur and Pila but spent most of the time we were there driving to argentiere!

Cervinia sounds great with access to Zermatt so I'll have a hunt around there.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@skribble, if you like Argentiere, I think you'd fnd Cervinia a bit flat.

Champoluc or Gressoney better options, IMV.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think it very unlikely there won't be good snow at Sauze by then. The Monta Rosa area offers far more off piste opportunities but far less on piste than the Milky Way. It will be much quieter in terms of nightlife. That may be a good thing or bad thing for your group.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
I think it very unlikely there won't be good snow at Sauze by then. The Monta Rosa area offers far more off piste opportunities but far less on piste than the Milky Way. It will be much quieter in terms of nightlife. That may be a good thing or bad thing for your group.

I hope you are right. We are out in Sauze for the same period. 27 Feb to 6 March...

given the pattern so far this winter, it is safe to say, I'm skeptical, and hoping for the best. I've hired a car, so we can make some day trips to better snow, don't actually have to drive very far to get to some better conditions at the moment. 30-45 minutes does the trick.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@skribble, my wife and i are booked in for Sauze from the 2nd to the 6th too - I'm not too worried about the snow yet but with 15 to cater for I can see your predicament.

If you do end up stick with Sauze would be interested in how you're transferring from Turin to resort in case we can jump in!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Weather this morning is reporting significant snowfall due next week - 40-50cm over the week.
Obviously its too early to be sure, but it's the first time I've even seen it predicted this season.

Fingers crossed, I'm in Sauze from 5th March with a group. Good luck everyone! snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Curzonian, and @skribble should we have a little meet up?

I just checked auto europe, and car hire prices even for the larger cars were very reasonable. I have a 5 seater, but thinking of upgrading to a 7 seater. Cancellation is free within 48 hours...

Just need to sort out where to park...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Zdh4 wrote:
Weather this morning is reporting significant snowfall due next week - 40-50cm over the week.
Obviously its too early to be sure, but it's the first time I've even seen it predicted this season.

Fingers crossed, I'm in Sauze from 5th March with a group. Good luck everyone! snowHead

I've got fingers, toes and everything else crossed. Next week is a long way out, not yet a sure thing, but it's more hope than we've had all season, so I'll take it!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Head through the Frejus tunnel and try the Maurienne resorts and/or back door access into the 3V via Orelle. Maurienne is fine for snow at the moment and you could look at Val Cenis, Les Sybelles, Valloire or head to some of the smaller villages such as La Norma or Bonneval. If you are flexible and can drive to the resorts there are larger towns such as St Jean de Maurienne or Modane, although not sure what the night life will be like. From experience you'll still find at least piste side powder in these resorts a couple of days after a fall and much more than that if you take a guide.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you are staying in Italy monte Rosa will give you some good piste cruising and good food, can't see off piste being too much fun this year.
Or if you are straying Verbier is a tad closer to Turin than Cham,just a different tunnel at the top of the valley
Or turn right and Andermatt is about the same...3hrs or so
Funny old year this one.
ski holidays
I organised a couple of lads Easter weekends in Cervinia a few years ago. We stayed in Hotel Punto Maquignaz. It's not top end but it did the job for us no problems. It's at the other end of town to the gondola but we hired skis from the shop next to the gondola station and left our gear there at the end of skiing before we went off for some refreshments, and booted up there the next day.
The hotel opposite Punto Maq has an excellent restaurant

If you do go to Cervinia you HAVE to lose a few hours in Chalet Etoile one afternoon ( book a table in back restaurant), without doubt the best mountain restaurant I've ever been to http://www.chaletetoile.it/
snow report
Thanks everyone. Weighing up all the options we've decided on Champoluc and have booked some accommodation that is flexible.

It looks a good ski area - here's hoping for powder!!!

Snowheads to the rescue!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy