Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dog going skiing for the first time

Poster: A snowHead
@Weathercam, Belle looks rather like our new dog Ben.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Hells Bells, Belle looks like a cross twix a Lab and a German Shepherd, cracking dog, almost jealous Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That is awesome!!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We are just back from a trip to Tignes and Les Arc with our bearded collie - there was a question further up about stop-over points, we stayed in the Mercure Cathedrale in Reims on the way down, and the Grand Hotel la Cloche in Dijon on the way back. Both are the same chain - I'm sure there are more characterful small hotels, but we've found it easiest to stay in chains the last few years, as we are just there literally overnight. They've been very dog friendly, dogs are allowed anywhere, they seem quite offended you won't go into the restaurant (woofing issues).

Top notch ski dog photo btw! There was a Finnish lapphund in Tignes running about the pistes tripping people up last week.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've not read all the posts in the thread but I seem to have a feeling that the dog needs 3 months post rabies before it is allowed back into the UK....

There used to be something like that but with old age and beer abuse my memory is not what it once was.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Legend., 3 weeks, not 3 months.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is that all? Was much worse a few years ago IIRC. People used to have to leave dogs in French Kennels are other horrendous things.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
don't know how to make this a click on link
http://youtube.com/v/75ZTgsrkXzc
but highlight it, then right click and select "Go to"
Max is having a ball!
It's about 7 mins long and worth a watch

Geoff
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Think this thread has caused confusion.

Simplified from what our UK vet has told us

Rabies jab and microchipped/or tattoo if tattooed before 2011. Rabies jab must be 21+ days before travel to France, issued with pet passport.

Coming home from France, visit vet in France NOT LESS than 24 hours and NOT MORE than 120 Hours before turning up at Port of embarkation for tapeworm pill, French vet dates/times stamps pet passport. Dog will have chip/tattoo read which should match Pet passport by officials at Port. If all complies, your ok.

If it doesn't Ooops
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Timbobaggins, that is exactly what the rules are. We've done this with 2 dogs now, and the 3rd was done under the old regulations. Hope I haven't confused in any way.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Hells Bells, yes I asked my dogs too about what the process is now and they agreed with you.

Think we've now taken our dogs back and forth around twelve times in the past seven or so years, and there have been a few changes at the French end, in terms of drugs given and timings, was 48hrs now 24hrs etc

Dogs are pretty resilient travelers, well fortunately ours are / were / have been.

Six or so years ago catching the Swansea Cork ferry and huge storms in the Irish sea. Ferry left Swansea at 22:00 and once out in the Bay Captain decided to ride the storm out there rather than turning round or continuing. With the result that we docked some eighteen hours later.

We were allowed to go down and check on the dogs and take them out, but none of them wanted to have a pee, though was a totally different story when we made it to shore!

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 3-02-16 11:38; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Hells Bells,

Nope, don't think you confused anyone, but I think people think you have to have the rabies jab 3 weeks before leaving to come back to UK.
Thanks for all your help by the way.

Do you know if there is an online list of vets across France that can do the treatment.
I have looked but cannot find one
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Timbobaggins, the treatment is just a pill, so 90% sure most vets can do it - it's the paper work and passport stamps that must be thorough - think they have to stamp and sign two to three different pages in the passport.

NB the cost should only be around €35 - €40 per dog - pay anymore and you're getting ripped off, check in advance as I've heard some crazy prices re vets in the likes of Bourg / Chamonix area etc (where loads of Brits are).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Timbobaggins, there used to be a site that would find you a vet (for a fee), but it isn't really necessary, and it closed down a while ago. It's been relatively easy for us to find a vet, even in the Italian Dolomites, and once we needed to find one in Grenoble at short notice. That one was expensive as he insisted on selling us the full box of tick treatment (which was needed at the time). Our bill was around 80€ for both dogs last month.
As @Weathercam, says, most vets can do it, it is only a worming tablet readily available anywhere.

BTW my UK vet (who travels abroad as part of her job with horses, greyhounds and other animals) doesn't agree with you on that one, she says the rabies rules are for travel to or re-entry to the UK, so it is 21 days before re-entry. A French animal would only need to be vaccinated three weeks before they arrived at Calais.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Hells Bells,

Well that doesn't make sense. If we have Kimbo rabies jabbed on say 19th Feb, and we go three weeks later to France for 1 weeks skiing, we surely don't need a rabies jab again, or are you saying we have to have the jab 3 weeks before coming home, so in effect 1 weeks skiing and then sit around for 2 weeks!!!!

I thought as long as they have vaccine at least 21 days before travel, I can travel to France and come home with him after 1 week, just doing the worming pill 24-120 hours prior to travel and as the vaccine is for 12 months any time after the three weeks period I can travel too and from France
latest report
@Timbobaggins, no I'm not, I'm saying it is 21 days (or more) before returning to the UK. You only need one rabies jab, it doesn't matter whether you have it in the UK or in France. We've even had the tapeworm treatment from a UK vet when we were going for a short break. Sorry didn't mean to make it sound complicated, it really isn't.
Vaccine is for 3 years BTW not one. Just get the passport sorted asap and you'll be fine.
ski holidays
Our son had the tapeworm treatment for their dog back in December when they went to Bruges just for the day. I had assumed that they had left Poppy behind in the UK but no, with the passport stamped and right pill, she was able to go for the day. Unfortunately it was a very windy day and they sat outside Dover for about 4 hours on the way back but Pops was ok.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 21-05-18 19:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@jess10, welcome to snowHeads, but unless you have 4 legs and go woof, this is not a thread for you. Maybe start your own?
snow conditions
Is mine the only dog who can't go on snow because he get's big clumps of ice between the pads on his feet?! He's a mini schnauzer and can't go for snow walks.
snow report
@TopGooner, All the dogs that I have had have also had this problem. After a short while in the snow they start hirpling and you have to clean their paws free of 'snowballs'. Not such a problem in dryer snow though.
ski holidays
I'd be terrified my Flatcoat got too close to an edge of a ski and got injured.
latest report
Re Snow in the paws - clip back the hair between the paws really really short so the snow cant get a grip. My English Setters have had huge issues with snow which dont bother a labrador until I clipped the paw hair and that makes it so much easier.
ski holidays
Vets in Europe. Since this thread is up and many dog owners will be reading it thought this google maps compilation of vets in Europe might be handy. Compiled by a fellow motorhomer Keith Chesterfield and regularly updated.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1iIlzLt0KPOT6sNe-n7TuoAgxcjI&ll=47.03082299036501%2C3.7298582734374577&z=6
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy