Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

6 year old - lessons at snow dome before or not?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

We are taking our 6 year old skiing to Val d'Isere at Easter where she will be skiing for the first time. We have her booked in for lessons while we are there but are considering booking her in for a couple of group lessons at either Hemel or MK before we go to give her confidence and so she might be one of the better in her group when she gets there. But the risk is she doesn't enjoy it and then the holiday is a little more tricky. She has been sledging at MK and enjoyed it, so I am less concerned about the risk of that.

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think some lessons in advance are helpful as much to get a feel of boots and skis in shorter sessions. We did sessions over at the local dry ski slope
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My nephews started at the snowdowe at Tamworth at around that age, and really took to it. My guess is that a child who is likely to hate skiing is often more concerned about being left with an instructor at that age, so if Mum and dad can watch from close by, then it's a good start before the bigger separation of ski school outdoors.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snowdome lessons are expensive but she probably would enjoy them. However, 6 is about the optimum age for learning and she'll probably do brilliantly either way.

At that age, when kids are used to school, they're not usually bothered about going off in a group without parents. If your daughter tends to be physically very cautious and anxious having a headstart in a dome might help her. On the other hand if she's strong and sporty she might just get a bit bored with the pace of the first few hours in a beginner group. I have just booked group lessons for a 7 year old beginner at Easter. With the added complication that it'll be almost certainly an entirely French group. Her parents think she'll cope OK and don't live near a snowdome. fingers crossed!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Would you suggest group lessons or one to ones? I feel that one to ones could be a little intense for a six year old?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We first took ours when they were 6 and 3 and I deliberately didn't get them lessons, in fact they'd never seen anyone on skis. This was for the reason you described, just in case they didn't like it and it would make the holiday difficult.

I wasn't worried about the 3 year old it was the older 6 year old. He took ages to learn to ride a bike and I remember a difficult Centre Parks holiday when he was 5 - he's very academic but not naturally sporty. When he got to France, he loved his first 3 hour lesson with ESF and everyday after that which was great. Not sure if it was the excitement of the holiday, the fact he was with a group of children all learning together or the ESF instruction but it clicked straight away.

I'm not saying having lessons beforehand wouldn't have worked equally as well or even better, maybe it would. However you know your children best and therefore it comes down to what you think will work for them.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My experience of teaching kids at this end in Val d'Isere is that getting them a lesson or two (this applies to adults too) before they come out will only be of benefit. The instructors at Hemel will make it fun and safe so unless the child is adverse to be away from mum and dad it should not be an issue and should fire them up as well as getting them used to putting all the gear on etc before that first morning when they get out here to Val. Have fun!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@kosciosco, I'd suggest group lessons. watching the other kids is helpful and if all the others are just getting on with it, they seem to follow on fairly automatically.

My 5 year old granddaughter had lessons in a French group at Christmas. She got on well though there was a major wobble on the second morning. "I'm too little, two hours is too long" etc.

Solved by naked bribery and after that she never looked back. Just heard that she saw some mad Red Bull jumping on Ski Sunday and said shed do that when she's a bit older. rolling eyes

Interestingly, amongst her heartrending complaints on the second morning there was no mention of the fact that nobody in the group, including the instructor, spoke any English. She's a shy girl, though physically very able (terrifying in the skate park on her Isla bike) and was quite happy not to talk to anyone.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
One thing to consider is whether you are thinking of private or group lessons for the kids on your holiday.
If the kids have learnt some of the basics but are not up to safely snow plough turning and stopping then they will be placed in an absolute beginners' group. So the repetition of the things they can do will be probably bore them enough to be discouraged.
If they have never been on a drag lift they may also be placed in the beginners group (this will very much vary on the area and other bits and bobs but it does happen!)

In my experience as an instructor it is always easier to teach and pacify children when the adults are not within ear/eye shot!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agreed. Drop them off cheerfully then disappear. Actually, the biggest demo of distressed kids and pushy parents I ever seen was at Hemel. And that was in the changing room. And one wailing tot in matching pink everything playing up to parents in the gallery.

The only cross word when Ella, aged 5 was dropped off in the pouring rain at Christmas was from a lad sulking because he wasn't allowed ski sticks. Boys do love sticks. Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Actually I thing beginner adult classes should be taught without poles too! my xc instructor made me do a lot without poles last week. She didn't approve of my fave technique of dragging them through the snow behind me to reduce speed on descents.....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
Actually I thing beginner adult classes should be taught without poles too! my xc instructor made me do a lot without poles last week. She didn't approve of my fave technique of dragging them through the snow behind me to reduce speed on descents.....

You use that technique too! I cant say it really works but makes me feel like I am doing something.

Wouldn't hurt but I wouldn't break you neck to get lessons in a snowdome before hand. Its different experience being indoors in some gloomy warehouse that out on the slopes. Kids pick things up pretty quickly and when they are out there having lessons each day it will come together apace. But one thing it does help with is getting them (and you) used to getting all their kit on and having those initially awkward long planks on your feet.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And remembering to do a "last wee" before you get all the kit on.

And get her SHORT skis, no more than chest height.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good point, I hadn't thought about the fact that she might not get far enough with lessons in the Uk to take her beyond the basic level in Val. You're right she might get bored. Or she might appreciate being a little bit better than the kids around her? Not sure about that.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Although it was a few years ago, she's 20 today, my daughter started at 7. She had 2 long group lessons (4 hours each I think) at Tamworth. On our first trip to Norway she started in the 2nd level and was getting down reds (OK not quite the same as alpine ones) by the end of the week.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy