Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GoPro Hero 4 Sessions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was thinking about getting a GoPro Hero 4 Sessions.

http://shop.gopro.com/EMEA/cameras/hero4-session/CHDHS-101-EU.html

Thought it was a good small alternative to a bigger gopro.

Does anyone have one or a activity camera like this?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have one. Nice and compact unit. Mounted it on helmet on recent trip to Japan but when in trees clipped a branch and obviously the cold had affected the stickiness of the mount and it ripped off. Luckily managed to find it but after that bought a Da Kine rucksack mount and put it on there.

It didn't cope that well with the cold (sometimes -30 with chill) battery drained really quickly on the coldest days, but having said that neither did the other go pros in our group.

Yet to get the footage off it but looks ok when viewed on the phone via the wifi app (no screen on session).

For the size and price I am pretty happy with it.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Brilliant, would love to see the footage, also love the tress in Japan, great memories
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@KernowRed, the session is good, but the footage isnt as good as the hero4 black and it has less 'option'. Many wont need those options or even notice the difference particularly if it ends up on Youtube.

Depending which part of Cornwall you are in you could pop into HobbyMounts near Bodmin they used to give forum members a discount.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This review put me off the GoPro Session

http://youtube.com/v/xxiCVu_SdDw
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thing is a lot of the reviews were done when it was still expensive. At over £100 less than the silver I am guess you are going to have a lesser product.

Anyway it's all good feedback

@ansta1thanks for the heads up. I live in Helston right down the bottom.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@KernowRed, can you still get spango special from the Helston brewery?

Btw hobbymounts give a 2 year warranty on purchases, 12 months better than the standard and they do next day delivery.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Best GoPro going, hands down. Massively frustrated as I bought it when it was £330 not £170, but they're ace. Small and light, with footage that's spot on for pretty much anyone bar cinema quality stuff. Easily the best in the rang snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is it possible to rent GoPro's?

Anyone ever rented one or have idea of rates?

Headed to Mayrhofen in a few weeks and wouldn't mind having one for a day
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've just bought the session4 in the US - had a quick play with some video around NYC and it seems great for what what i'll use it for.

Have bought the Dakine rucksack mount as well as don't want to go for the teletubbie look by attaching it to my helmet Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
  • That video review uses a frame mount for the session, but the full housing for the Silver.
    I just weighed my Hero 4 Black with the frame mount plus the foot and screw bits at 120g. The session claims 74g.
    The review is mostly swimming; for skiing, you don't need the waterproof housing.

• The review footage looks like he's not got his ProTune processing dialled properly, or he's not shooting with it at all.
    Colour balance etc would be no issue then.
    That said, the bigger camera has higher bit rate and better specification: you don't get something for nothing.

• The reviewer ought to know that all GoPro cameras have had "one button mode" which works as he describes the Session does.

My mates used to rent GoPros back when the Hero 2 came out as they were expensive to buy then. They stopped once the cameras went mainstream. You can probably rent them somewhere still.
I would say that it takes some experience to get the best from these, so you may not do that in a few days rental. There may be a good second hand market, or there are cheaper cameras.

UK prices do tend to be inflated, but GoPro warranties are international so you can buy them elsewhere.

Those I've seen using the Session in snow seem to like it, although their footage isn't a patch on that from the 4 Black.... but then they don't have/ want Premiere Pro or a machine to process 4k. It all depends what you want. I'd not compare the Session with the 4 Silver or the 4 Black - that's missing the point of this camera in my view. Either you like the price/ form factor and live with the output limitations, or you want better quality output in which case you live with the cost and form factor of bigger cameras. The same's true with stills cameras.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
memphis04 wrote:

Yes. Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ansta1 wrote:
@KernowRed, can you still get spango special from the Helston brewery?

Btw hobbymounts give a 2 year warranty on purchases, 12 months better than the standard and they do next day delivery.

I'll check it out, yes Spingo is still going strong, Blue Anchor has a sister pub now down Porthleven. They also sell Spingo.

memphis04 wrote:

When are you going? Would be great to know where you rented it from, I am in Mayrhofen from the 5th March
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy