Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Differences between UCPA off piste courses at Chamonix -

Poster: A snowHead
I am planning on doing a week at Chamonix (or maybe Argentiere) at the end of March. I'm fairly experienced doing off piste stuff in the U.S. but have never skied in Europe before. Not much experience with deep powder either but I would really like to improve.

I'm having deciding between the three similar but differently priced options which are:

SKI HORS-PISTE: 720 euros (discount for being 25 or under)
http://www.ucpa.co.uk/sejour/SFACHAN30-ski-hors-piste-off-piste-skiing-chamonix/participants/25/date-depart/27-03-2016-3DAYto27-03-2016+3DAY/?qp=OFFRE:uk
SKI HORS-PISTE ÉVASION 853 euros
http://www.ucpa.co.uk/sejour/SFACHAN40-ski-hors-piste-evasion-off-piste-skiing-chamonix/
SKI ÉVASION VALLÉE BLANCHE 893 euros
http://www.ucpa.co.uk/sejour/SFACHAN40-ski-hors-piste-evasion-off-piste-skiing-chamonix/

Does anyone know the skiing the Vallee Blanch is included with any of the trips besides the Vallee Blanche one?

I'm currently leaning towards doing SKI HORS-PISTE and joining a guided group descent of the Vallee Blanche during one of the UCPA off days.[/url]
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is this one too at Argentière

SKI HORS PISTE 698 euros
http://www.ucpa.co.uk/sejour/SFAARGN30-ski-hors-piste-off-piste-skiing-chamonix-argentiere/

It's too overwhelming!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Check out www.action-outdoors.co.uk

They're a UK based booking agent for them so it'll be a lot easier to decipher. If you change the prices quoted to Euros it should be the same as going to UCPA directly.

French websites are notoriously rubbish Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You could also give Action Outdoors a ring and ask them about the different courses.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very brief explanation, "Hors Piste" (Off Piste) is instruction although mostly following the instructor with some instruction thrown in if they think you need it or you ask for it. Not on you list but next one is "High Mountain" this has a proper guide so you can go on the glaciers, much faster pace and lot of ground covered, very little instruction although the guide will give you a few tips if you ask. Not done the other two but I think they are the next steps up in terms of skill level, pace and distance covered. On the High Mountain you get to do the Vallee Blanche I think, at least you used too and last year they ran Vallee Blanche trips for the off piste groups on Wednesday which is the day off for the UCPA instructors and guides. They keep changing the names of the levels so best check in case I've got them mixed up.

One of the good things about UCPA is they will have a lot of groups of different levels so on Monday you all ski in the same area and the guides/instructors watch you and shuffle people around if they need to move up or down, equalisation they call it or something like that. From the sounds of it you would fit in a higher (experte) group off piste or maybe a middle group high mountain. It tends to be easier to go down than up so start at expert level and if they think you can't keep up they will bump you down to a confirme group.

You will love it. I've skied with Americans and Canadians at UCPA and they were blown away by Chamonix and Argentiere, I think it is a bit more hard core than the stuff they were used too back home.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dorset Andy wrote:
last year they ran Vallee Blanche trips for the off piste groups on Wednesday

Thanks, I was hoping this was the case as I'm booked into the off-piste class in two weeks and am planning to do the VB on the Wednesday weather permitting.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Thanks, I was hoping this was the case as I'm booked into the off-piste class in two weeks and am planning to do the VB on the Wednesday weather permitting.

It was about 70 euros I think, around £50 anyway. You can get all the extra equipment from the UCPA like harness, crampons, back pack with ski/board straps if you need it but get in early as I seem to recall they were starting to run out towards the end.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Even better, I was expecting to part with 95 for Evolution 2. Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was in UCPA Chamonix 16/1-23/1 in Chamonix backcountry group is a group of snowboarders and skiers mixed.
SKI HORS-PISTE is a group for off-piste by bus in the area of Chamonix. for your description is sounds appropriate to you.
SKI HORS-PISTE ÉVASION is a group of 8 people with a privet van, is going to France Italy and Swiss follow the best conditions.
SKI ÉVASION VALLÉE BLANCHE like the group before 8 people in van, but including also the white valley, is the glacier that start in Aiguille du Midi, and for this is not enough ski instructor, is also need mountain guide.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also, if you go to Argentiere pretty much all the offpiste guides are also high mountain guides which is a nice plus, and the centre is MUCH nicer.

I did 5 weeks at UCPA Arg last season and had a great time, enjoy!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Vallée Blanche is pretty but it's not that good. The skiing is quite boring and it's very busy which in my opinion defeats one of the purpose of going off piste. You need a guide for the valley Blanche because it is glacier travelling. If I was you I would ask my guide if there wasn't a better run to do. Fur example the col du Passon from the top of the grands montets to la tour is much better in my opinion although it involves some ski touring but only about 1h30 if I remember well.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The evasion trips are great and you usually end up with better skiers. Haven't done the ones in Chamonix but did one in Les Arcs and Serre Chevalier and that were great.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

The evasion trips are great and you usually end up with better skiers

Consequently - don't book on one if you're not comfortable with a fast past off piste group.

I've done the Serre Che soabord 'grande trace' (same format as the Evasion) and LOVED it.

+1 to recommend the Argentiere centre - been recently done up.

Vallee Blanche the standard route isn't amazing for the skiing, but the overall experience makes for a great day out - up to aguil du midi, check out the view, down the steep path then the glacier really is beautiful. Actual skiing I found a bit boring and flat, but well worth doing once. Not sure you can do any of the more interesting VB variants without touring?

Last year our VB day was VERY exciting for the wrong reasons, one guy went down a crevasse - snow bridge gave way. Following in the guides path and on the 'main bit'. Took hours to rescue, and bad weather meant the heli had trouble landing to drop the rescue team. Was too deep and too wedged to be retrieved by the guide and the ropes we had with us (although enough to make him safe). Amazingly he was basically totally fine, sore knee and ankle but no major damage. They had to jettison his brand new split board though! Good reminder about why you have the harness out over the top of your coat and not hidden underneath it!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've never done the tourist VB route, for the above reasons, a bit tame/busy/flat. I'm sure the views are worth it though as long as you don't expect a gnar fest, and great for newer skiers.

I highly recommend the Moyen Envers route. I've done this a few times, in anything from untouched powder to spring corn and it's great. Decent terrain, spectacular scenery and pretty quiet. The run out at the bottom is fairly flat but it's ok on a board, maybe a 100m or so pushing depending on how fresh the snow is/how many have put a tracks down ahead of you.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Roll on next week Smile

It looks like(according to snow-forecast) that the weather is clearing on Wednesday so should be able to do the VB on the free day.
snow report
Quote:

I highly recommend the Moyen Envers route

Not done that - does it need touring set up? Have done the Vallee Noire which was great, not too big a tour and lovely scenery (and super deserted until we re-joined the traditional route).
latest report
Quote:

I highly recommend the Moyen Envers route

Not done that - does it need touring set up? Have done the Vallee Noire which was great, not too big a tour and lovely scenery (and super deserted until we re-joined the traditional route).
snow report
No touring kit required, just the usual glacier kit.

Fine for boarders as well as skiers.

Hopefully be doing a few more laps in April Smile
snow report
kat.ryb wrote:
Quote:

The evasion trips are great and you usually end up with better skiers

Consequently - don't book on one if you're not comfortable with a fast past off piste group.

I've done the Serre Che soabord 'grande trace' (same format as the Evasion) and LOVED it.

+1 to recommend the Argentiere centre - been recently done up.

Vallee Blanche the standard route isn't amazing for the skiing, but the overall experience makes for a great day out - up to aguil du midi, check out the view, down the steep path then the glacier really is beautiful. Actual skiing I found a bit boring and flat, but well worth doing once. Not sure you can do any of the more interesting VB variants without touring?

Last year our VB day was VERY exciting for the wrong reasons, one guy went down a crevasse - snow bridge gave way. Following in the guides path and on the 'main bit'. Took hours to rescue, and bad weather meant the heli had trouble landing to drop the rescue team. Was too deep and too wedged to be retrieved by the guide and the ropes we had with us (although enough to make him safe). Amazingly he was basically totally fine, sore knee and ankle but no major damage. They had to jettison his brand new split board though! Good reminder about why you have the harness out over the top of your coat and not hidden underneath it!

Bloody boarders. Can't bring them anywhere rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy