Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Val Thoren

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All
first post so Hello pleased to meet you all.
We have been going to the three valleys for about the last 10 years, normally stay in a chalet in La tania with Ski Magic (smashing people would recommend)
But my daughter is now grown up (well if 15 is grown up...) so we thought we would try an apartment instead.
We normally drive to La tania which is not a problem, never driven up to Val Thoren just wondering if there is anything to watch out for?, never needed chains for la Tania but have heard that i will need them for Val Thoren is this true because it's a bit of a pain to buy new chains which i may never use Sad, has anybody ever been stopped by the gendarmes for not having any in the car?
For you info we are driving a Suzuki Grand vitara with 225/65 17 tyres on it (which seem to be one of those really awkward sizes to find chains in)
Cheers Hubert
p.s we are there for a week from the 26th of March see you there!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had to use chains going to Courchevel in Jan in 2004: when I drove to the EoSB 2 years ago in Val Thorens the road was clear and chains/winter tyres not needed. HTH

Welcome to Snowheads!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
we drove there a couple of years ago with snow tires, had to use chains to cover the last km
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Billsdad, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

One of those things - if you don't buy them, you'll need them, if you do buy them you won't. Madeye-Smiley

Cheaper (and more available) to buy them in France than the UK.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You may or may not physically need chains for either, either because it doesn't snow on the journey or the 4x4 copes with it OK. You'remore likelyto get conditions requiring there use at VT due t the height.
However I suspect there's a sign on both routes requiring you to carry them in winter. Should you get stuck and not have chains then the police won't be happy with you.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
With chains, you never know. But you should have them. A cheap pair from a French supermarket won't cost a fortune (but won't be easy to put on either. Unless a 4 x 4 has good winter tyres they're likely to be ordered to chain up with everyone else.

You'll be hoping, obviously, for the few days before you start skiing to be so snowy you'll be chaining up not far out of Moutiers. wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've driven to Val T about 5 or 6 times in total - once had to put chains on a rental car when heading in to Les Menuires (so lower) but every other time I was in my own car with winter tyres, and no problems, even when driving late at night through howling winds and heavy snow. That was not pleasant, but I made it without chains - but with the right tyres.

The roads can be treacherous, so you should absolutely have chains with you. But if you have proper winter tyres, they'll probably cope with most eventualities.

Edit: I drove into Val T at the end of Nov before last – was very glad I had winter tyres fitted at that point! Another friend drove up later, and he hadn’t had his tyres changed over yet (his garage didn’t have them in stock) – he thought he’d be fine as he was in a big 4WD car, but he really regretted it when he arrived. No crashes, but the whole thing was very hairy for him. A lot of people without winter tyres had fitted chains – this was for a small snow storm just in November.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've driven to Val Thorens 9 times. twice I've needed chains. I'd never drive to any resort without chains on standby. This year I did buy the spray on snow grip. Sprays on your tyres. Never got to see if it worked (this was not instead of chains I had those as well)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the quick replies, its always a bit worrying being a newbie, your'e never sure whether or not your asking a stupid question Very Happy you are all very welcoming!
So look like i'm going to stump out for chains, are those cheapie ones on ebay any good?, not going to be as easy to put on as the expensive ones but they'll do the job right?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, just make sure you practice. And with the cheaper chains it's essential to stop and tighten them up. The first time immediately, when you've rolled a couple of metres, then again after a couple of hundred. It's not always easy to find a safe spot but if there's too much play in the chains there's a risk, especially with the cheap, thinner, chains that they snap and either fall off or (worse) thrash themselves round something behind the wheel.

A head torch is invaluable if you have to chain up in the dark. Small shovel to clear snow from around the wheel. Big plastic bag to kneel on and chuck the filthy things in when you take them off. My approach is to do it FAST without gloves. Don't wear your new ski jacket.

Needing chains on your way into resort is a bonus. Needing them only on the way home is a bit of a bummer.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers for the heads up, i'll buy them right now and practice on the drive in this treacherous london weather we are having!
thanks All
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Drove to VT two weeks ago during persistent but not very heavy snow in a hire car with winter tyres fitted. Those cars without winter tyres were all having to chain up just above Les Menuires as it does get very slippery for the last 5-10Km's. We were not being forced to stop and put chains on but to be honest if your vehicle has summer tyres you are unlikely to get to the top in bad conditions.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We are getting the Chunnel on Friday evening and driving through the night, so should get there early door in daylight which should hopefully make things easier if we do have to put chains on (which i just bought off ebay for £60 ekk!)
Stevewilbs49: what are conditions like on the slopes?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are getting the Chunnel on Friday evening and driving through the night, so should get there early door in daylight which should hopefully make things easier if we do have to put chains on (which i just bought off ebay for £60 ekk!)
Stevewilbs49: what are conditions like on the slopes?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Very good conditions on the slopes in VT. Courchevel was also good but Meribel was quite icy at lower levels. March is still a long way off so conditions could be totally different by then.

Don't forget to practice putting on the chains before you go as it will be no fun learning how to do it halfway up the mountain.
latest report
@pam w,
Quote:

Needing chains on your way into resort is a bonus. Needing them only on the way home is a bit of a bummer.

Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Billsdad wrote:
Cheers for the heads up, i'll buy them right now and practice on the drive in this treacherous london weather we are having!
thanks All

What size tyres do you have? I have a set of chains used (only once) on a Nissan Terrano. Car sold, but chains still in garage. I'm in North Essex.
snow conditions
Oops, just re-read your original post. I will check chains when I get home Sunday if you are interested?
ski holidays
Didn't get stopped but most people were putting chains on when we went, we were 4x4 with winter tyres and seemed ok but put chains on http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=123466
snow report
@Billsdad, welcome to snowheads, i live lower down the Belleville valley but drive up to VT at least once a week all year round. I drive up in a land cruiser with winter tyres and always carry chains. In 8 years of driving up and down I've never needed to put the chains but I've seen plenty of people in 4x4's without winter tyres who have had to. And yes the gendarmes will stop you and do make people put chains. As everyone else has said its a good thing to have them. When it's really really bad they put barriers across the road further down from the resort to stop people driving any higher! And it could definitely snow a lot at that altitude at the end of March. Hope you have a wonderful trip. snowHead
ski holidays
@Billsdad, you may still be able to get chains from Lidl for about £20. I got some of theirs last winter and they're OK imv.
snow report
@Billsdad, checked and the label has disintegrated Embarassed The Terrano tyres are 235/70 R16 so probably no good for you.
snow report
Billsdad,

There's no need to practise putting chains on outside in bad weather. Instead, bring your spare wheel indoors (assuming it's clean enough) & try fitting your chains to that first. That way, you can more easily suss out how the chains fit as you won't have the car bodywork in the way on your first attempt.

Good luck and have a great trip!
snow report
Thanks for all the info you smashing people.
Steveee: thanks for checking, but the tyres on the car do seem to be a decidedly odd size!
Now i can't wait 7 weeks is going to soooooo dragggggg onnnnnnnn!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy