Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap group trip, Feb half term 2017

Poster: A snowHead
I am bowing to the collective snowHead wisdom in my search for possibly the impossible!

Here's the criteria:

Group of 18 (10 adults, 8 children under 4-12), skiers and boarders
Feb half term
Ski school from age 4, possibly with afternoon care attached
Reasonable amount of interlinked piste (100km+) for beginners through to red / black with some off piste
One or two accom units, using only proper beds
< 2 hrs transfer
Good range of cheap restaurants/ home delivery / supermarkets - better still if catered accomodation
Resort with something other than skiing
Flights from London airports - bonus points if it's an international hub that might have flights to Singapore

Absolutely not afraid of DIY'ing it as done it before pre-kids. Been looking at France as that's where I am familar with but totally open to further afield.

This is the killer: budget inc lift pass £650 (ski school + childcare + equip hire would be on top where needed) Are we shooting for the moon???

I thank you all humbly for all your input
x

EDITED: £650 plus lift pass not inc lift pass, that might make it a bit easier!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 28-01-16 16:45; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Flights and transfers alone will cost £500 plus at half term.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@always29, no chance at all I'm afraid
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@JamesN, @Montana thanks!

This is the first trip we've done where we're tied to half term so the flight costs are a mystery to me as I can only see a year from now. Maybe I need to look at really obscure airports!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Your budget is still doable. It'll mean driving or taking a coach as oppose to flying. You'd also have to stay in self-catered apartments and make full use of the sofa beds provided.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You could manage that budget in April self-catered or catered without lift-passes.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Possible I would say but

1. Driving probably cheaper than flying (particularly for weekend flights)
2. Self catering cheaper than CC/HB (for like for like)
3. DIY trip a lot cheaper than TO
4. Book early (transport, accommodation)

Large group could help or hinder cost depending on choices you make but definitely need to arrange soon.

If you could gain a day or two before after half term week then flights might be a lot more competitive or go to an airport not associated with winter holidays.

If you must fly you can choose somewhere less popular, less obvious...

Mondole from Genoa
Auron from Nice
Nassfeld from Trieste/Klagenfurt (might be new lift from Italian side by next winter??)
Schladming from Linz

or even perhaps Rome/Pescara into Abbruzo ski resorts

Just requires a little imagination!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JamesN wrote:

For half-term 2017, I've already booked flights into Salzburg - will be around £1100 for family of 4 including private transfers. £275 per person.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I reckon it's do-able
£650 * 18 = £11,700
Flights to a major hub if booked early enough £200/p = £3,600
Ski passes at £200/adult and £100/child = £2,800
4 cars (bit of a squeeze admittedly) at £300/week = £1,200
Leaves £4k for the accommodation.

I've no idea of chalet costs as never done it, although you ain't getting the Ritz I'm sure, but surely must be able to get somewhere for £4k,no?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
May be possible into Andorra, but the transfer is more like 3 hours.

Flight to Barcelona (bet it links to Singapore too) about £80 each, bus return about £70 each using Novotel (bus is actually four hours, driving with hire car is 3 hours - sure you could get a private transfer for 17 people which would be at the 3 hour mark for about the same price). List pass comes to about £180, with about 210 km of inter-linked pistes (very beginner friendly too)

You could stay in Encamp to keep the cost down, which is linked into Grandvalira resort by a big Gondola rather than being a ski-in ski-out place. So by my reckoning you would then just need to find a self catering place that could accommodate you for about £200 each for the week. I stayed in Andorra half board in a hotel for £250 at New Year, so I would imagine that is doable.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Agree with the above. Only hope of getting near that budget is to drive and self cater. Peak French holidays so might be better heading elsewhere.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JamesN wrote:

Challenge

£1k here for a family of four and it's only that much as I'm taking out a bigger car this year.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You're going to have to compromise a little somewhere. Here are a couple of variables to think about.

Drive as opposed to fly.
Pick a resort which is less frequented by Brits such as Nassfeld / Valloire / Pyrenees
Go at Easter instead of February half term
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@crudeFool, who's that booked with? I might just get people to pony up that now and sort the rest!

Edited as it was point out we meant £650 + lift pass so basically £650 for flights, accom & transfers, that might make it a bit easier!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@robandliza, doable for half term 2016?
snow conditions
Maybe I'm being too pessimistic Very Happy
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
@robandliza, doable for half term 2016?

Done for half term 2016

OP is asking about next year though. I'm just pointing out that it is possible this much in advance. It would be impossible to do now for this year even if they walked! Smile
latest report
@pam w, no - next year, the way Christmas school hols and Easter hols fall next year and that we have some older children in the group means that we're kind of limited to half term.

@robandliza, my husband gets grumpy carrying my skis 500m, think walking to the Alps might be pushing it wink I do like your cost breakdown up there though, it's a really obvious and helpful way of looking at it. We did an off peak self catering week in Samoens for 12 for a total base price including minibus pickups from East London to Stansted for just over £3k in 2009, that total I do remember!
snow report
Sorry, my mistake, @always29. For 2017 it should be doable. But I'm intrigued to find out why your husband carries your skis?
latest report
I would give (mountainsun) a call or drop them an email and i am sure they will come up very close to your budget.
I have been to a couple of their chalets as many other snowheads and they are a very good value operator co.
latest report
pam w wrote:
Sorry, my mistake, @always29. For 2017 it should be doable. But I'm intrigued to find out why your husband carries your skis?

This year I was carrying 2 pairs of children's skis and holding at least one of their hands so it was just easier!

I think I might have found a self catering contender in Flachau in Ski Amade via Sunweb - inc lift passes, self catering for approx £430pp, just need to get a price for next year - the group is now 21 of us (13 adults, 6 under 12 and 2 teens!) - and flights / transfers. Ski Amade seems to have a genuinely nice ticket price for children of actually half price rather than practically adult price and a reasonable reduction for teens too and given that some of the group are beginners, might be even cheaper than that.

I will be consulting these forums and resident experts for local transfers / eating / shopping recommendations if this comes off Smile
snow conditions
Been looking at flights as some airlines have prices up now and have sent various group booking enquiries off but realised I've not thought of Italy at all!

Would there be any resorts within a couple of hours of Turin / Milan / Venice that would work well for a mixed ability group with 8 under 16's and where there might be large self catering accomodation? I realise that's vague ask but I don't where to start with Italy and I know it's raved about here! Thank you again me lovely snowHead
snow conditions
Yes worth looking at Milky Way resorts in Italy/France (Montgenevre, Sauze Doulx, Sestriere, etc). I'm a real fan of Montgenevre, good family skiing but caters for all abilities. I went at NY another peak week, and your price is definitely doable if you book up flights early, some airlines are already releasing h/t dates, the budget airlines wont release their flights for another month or so. We looked at various apartments on homeaway, holidayrentals, sunweb but eventually booked through ski etoile and would highly recommend. Just let them know your requirements and budget, they should be able to find you something. Private transfers in a mini bus were only £40pp return from Turin.

Other options may be Le Rosiere/La Thuile. I think Le Rosiere has more in the way of village life, although we stayed in La Thuile.

Also worth looking at Aosta/Pila? Small extent but many resorts near by if you do get bored. Aosta is a town so more in the way of non-ski things?

Valloire is a good French option in terms of cheaper accommodation. Also Risoul/Vars?
latest report
The epic continues - got a hold flights to Munich for just over £300pp which is the best price I've managed to get so looks like Austria it is. As we've got it through BA group bookings, we only have to find a deposit now and the balance 10 weeks before hand which helps enormously for several of the group. Handily our Asian contingent can fly direct from Singapore to Munich too!
latest report
And now we've got a hold on a catered chalet for £399 pp, best transfer price found so far was €60 per head so the total is coming in at about £750 per head half term isn't all bad me thinks Smile
snow conditions
always29 wrote:
And now we've got a hold on a catered chalet for £399 pp, best transfer price found so far was €60 per head so the total is coming in at about £750 per head half term isn't all bad me thinks Smile

Excellent good job! Where is the chalet?
snow report
@always29, are your flights still on hold at the same price?
snow report
@pam w, flight deposit paid yesterday Very Happy BA group booking call centre place has have been nothing but helpful and put flights on hold for 14 days,I got tthe impression that's the norm for them.

@NickyJ, in Flachau still, it's more basic accommodation but catered. It's out for vote at the moment. I'm a bit torn tbh but will go with the consensus.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@always29, seriously, and on the back of our PMs, for half term week in Flachau you probably have to MTFU and go for it ..it sounds like you have chosen a different place? €60 per head return transfer from Munich is very impressive...
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, I agree it's a good deal but as we're a group I'm waiting for everyone else's replies before I go ahead. Your help on pm's has been amazingly helpful.

The transfer price was just a google search on one of the holiday extra type websites, I don't know who would actually provide it but I'll certainly post if they're good (or to br avoided! )
latest report
@always29, Yes, it's doable.

You ask for a trip costing £650.

On top of this you expect to pay for:
Lift pass - around €185 (£146)
Ski Hire - around €50 (£39)
Ski school - around €200 (£158)

Total cost £993

Which is £73 more than the £920 we charge for fully inclusive (3*, Half Board, Gatwick Flights, etc.) at Half Term.

Note child care is available from 3years+. Cost around €10 per hours or a little more if this includes lessons.

Sometimes DIY simply isn't cheaper
ski holidays
The way to make it much cheaper is, of course, to drive with a full car. Bit of a schlep from Singapore, though.
snow report
Hi Always29

Have you looked at Passo Tonale, but staying down in Ponte di Legno (beautiful old Italian town) - even at half-term it doesn't get as busy or expensive as France and the food is way better. PM me if you want more details.
snow report
Hi there,
If you are prepared to share 3 to a hotel room this very possible. check this out with Jemski.com in Montchavin, Paradiski ..
snow conditions
@always29, Which dates are your half-term? 11-18 or 18-25 ??
Makes a BIG difference!
latest report
Hi there ,

Do you have an email or simply send me one info@jemski.com and i could give you a full breakdown of prices for 18 people (adults, children) both catered and Bed and breakfast. The price wouldn't be any different for accommodation either of the dates you have mentioned.. Kind regards Jemski Very Happy
latest report
Looking at taking my 9 yr old to Andorra at 1/2 term, flights from Northern airports to Barcelona ~£180, LGW to Barcelona just £55!
Flights probably £200 for the two of us by the time I add skis
transfer, hire car for the week £55
Hotel £750

Total for two, £1050
snow report
Quote:

hire car for the week £55

That's a bargain! You forgot lift passes though.... and the cost of getting down to Gatwick if you go for those cheaper flights. And lunches, beers and hot chocs.....
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

hire car for the week £55

That's a bargain! You forgot lift passes though.... and the cost of getting down to Gatwick if you go for those cheaper flights. And lunches, beers and hot chocs.....

Every airport is a pia to get to from Whitby when I'm travelling alone, Gatwick has the most regular public transport links from Middlesbrough or Darlington but adds a lot of time to the journey, I can get a train to Manchester but usually means sitting in the airport for 6 hours. Leeds has rubbish
transport links. As there will be two of us, driving to the airport and parking becomes
more cost effective.
I think the hire cars from Barcelona are
cheap at that time because it's a summer
destination.
I may have found a room b&b for just £504
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy