Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Defibrillators - should they be compulsory on the slopes?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@KernowRed, That's tragic. Very sorry.

Quote:

He calpsed and they tried CPR, no help for a cardiac arrest
Can you explain what you meant by this? Wasn't clear to me.

When he was playing football he was already in negative oxygen, so the body makes you breath quicker to get more into you. The cardiac arrest mean the heart stops and malfunctions. Even giving him CPR would have not helped to pump the amount of oxygen around his body that was needed.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 28-01-16 14:31; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are there any reliable statistics about the health outcomes for people treated with these defib sets out in the community?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There are loads of stats produced showing "in hospital" and "out of hospital" survival rates. Its scary reading. Basically you best wish you are in a hospital if it happens.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@KernowRed, so do the stats justify all these defib sets and training etc? I'm interested in morbidity as well as mortality here.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Maybe one of these flying difibrillators is the answer.

<iframe></iframe>

http://youtube.com/v/y-rEI4bezWc
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think it all depends on what caused the heart problem, so if the heart is fluttering and has gone into fibrillation then these can really help in the same way that starting heart again can be postive. Read this I found below.

Quote:
If bystanders who witness a cardiac arrest perform CPR, sufficient blood containing oxygen will reach the brain, heart and other organs to keep the person alive for several minutes. CPR by itself will not restart the heart, but it ‘buys time’ for the emergency medical services to reach the scene. Effective CPR more than doubles the chance of someone surviving a cardiac arrest.

https://www.resus.org.uk/faqs/faqs-cpr/

So you would need the defib to restart the heart.

Quote:
The British Heart Foundation (BHF) is leading the fight to ensure more people
survive a cardiac arrest. In the UK there are over 30,000 cardiac arrests a year
outside of hospital where the emergency medical services attempt to resuscitate the
victim.
1 However, the survival rate is dismal – less than one in ten victims survive to
be discharged from hospital2
- and this rate lags behind those of other developed
nations. Every minute counts when someone has had a cardiac arrest. There are a
few simple steps that anyone witnessing a cardiac arrest, or finding a victim, can
take to help save their life: calling 999, performing CPR (cardiopulmonary
resuscitation) and using a PAD (public access defibrillator) if one is available. But
people lack the skills, ability and confidence to step in and help

https://www.bhf.org.uk/~/media/files/publications/policy-documents/final_nation_of_lifesavers_policy_statement_14102014.pdf

Quote:

In a study of CPR and defibrillation for cardiac arrest under ideal conditions, survival with normal neurological function occurred in 38%. Assuming survival without defibrillation to be zero, this is equivalent to saving the life of 2 out of 5 people using defibrillation. Furthermore, when considering only those with a heart rhythm correctable by defibrillation (ventricular fibrillation), survival rate was 59%, equivalent to saving 3 out 5. Survival rates from cardiac arrest was less, however, in more common circumstances seen outside of the study, including among ill hospitalized persons, people without access to immediate (<4-5 minutes) CPR, and for those whose arrest is not witnessed.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defibrillation
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hmm. Survival with a decently functioning brain was only 38% for those in ideal conditions. I think I'm going to stick a "do not resuscitate" sticker on my helmet. Maybe Snowheads should do them? Skullie
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w,
Quote:

I think I'm going to stick a "do not resuscitate" sticker on my helmet.
My wife stuck one on my helmet years ago Sad
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
defibrillators should definitely be in place in my opinion!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pam w, don't confuse 'normal neurological function' with 'decently functioning brain'. You can have some neurological problems and still be in good shape to enjoy life to the full.

I don't have any of the stats with me (in France at the moment), but have a cardiologist friend who is passionate about just how important it is that we all know how to perform CPR and do so if required, as well as using defibs, as the stats show the difference it makes.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@foxtrotzulu,
Quote:

My wife stuck one on my helmet years ago

Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Defibrillator use has been in the last three first aid refreshers that I have done, all ski instructors will have done a similar course, I am sitting a couple of metres from a defibrillator at a ski resort tourist office.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy