Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski tour / mountaineering Alps guide or suggestions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I am a keen off piste skier, climber, paraglider and particularly enjoy ski touring. I am in the Alps right now doing some touring with a company in the Mt Blanc area, then trying my hand at speedriding in Les Arcs. But... I am then looking to go on some self guided ski tours. Can anyone suggest some good places (anywhere in the Alps, as I have my van) to base out of for some ski touring? I prefer slightly quieter areas, but as long as snow is good I'm pretty happy! Any suggestions on specific routes, mountains, cheap places to stay, objectives or books to buy would be really appreciated.

I have all my own ski touring, trad climbing and mountaneering gear including Avi gear (I have taken my Avalanche course and we are reviewing all the Avi stuff while I'm here) I'm keen on everything from half day lift access gems to multi day hut trips and beyond...

Any ideas would be great... Also if anyone feels like joining me from the 20th Feburary, then drop me a message!

Blake
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's a couple of ski tour books from Vamos covering Chamonix Mont Blanc area and Vanoise area here:
http://www.editionsvamos.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=070d66c1b6f2c16fbb1ba245d7aa6815&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=8
These tend to be shorter tours with sometimes a night in a hut.

Then there's these which tend to be longer tours around a week typically:
http://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/index.cfm/cid/46/catalogue/ski-mountaineering

I'm in Chamonix for the season and planning to try and get quite a few from the Mont Blanc book done this year.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd recommend Les Contamines as a base for doing some self-guided tours. You have two broad options
- fairly mellow, lift accessed tours in the Beaufortaine - you can find some steep descents and some places where your mountaineering skills would be handy but most of it is not like that. I'd say it's a great option for finding your feet
- serious as you want to make it stuff on the Mont Blanc Massif accessed via the Tre de la Tete glacier. Plenty of huts. Options like the descent of the Armanciette glacier on Dommes de Miages, Traverse of the Miages, even a skitour ascent/descent of Mont Blanc
I'll be coming home from there on the 20th unfortunately but hope to have done a little touring there the week before and again at Easter
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes I have my eye on a few LC tours. Interestingly it is one of the largest sections in the Mont Blanc Ski Tour guide book. I think some of them are non glacier as well which would be better if soloing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I think some of them are non glacier as well which would be better if soloing.

Yes - all the ones one the Beaufortaine side that I mentioned
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@jedster, you wouldn't happen to know what the North side of the Col des chasseurs is like at the moment would you? Or the Col de la Cicle? Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great, thanks for the information everyone. I've ordered some of the books and I'm going to look into Les Contamines and see how it looks. There seems to be a lot of info for the Mont Blanc area, which I am keen to check out more.. I'll be touring there next week.

But I am also keen to explore more of the Alps, so if anyone knows of anything out side or the MB area and out side of France, i would be really happy to get some general info or specific routes/ski towns to try.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Look for the Ski de Randonee series from Editions Olizane:
http://www.olizane.ch/articles.php?page=2&articles=76

There are a number of books covering much of the Alps and are something of a bible - (but in French).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy