Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Train - Crystal Ski

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
All,

Does anyone know if Crystal have reduced the seat allocations for the snow train this season? Last year we booked no problem the train a few times, but this year they tell me they have sold out. I fond this hard to believe unless

1. its more popular this year
2. seats have been reduced
3. its not cost effective for them to sell

Anyone got inside info Cool
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've no major insight, but I used the overnight outbound mid January (booked independently), and it felt a little less busy than it has previous years for the same week.

Eurostar do have some new trains that they're rolling out. These have 16 carriages, instead of 18, but I don't know if they make up with more seats per carriage, or if they're using them on the snow train route.

Other thing to note; the overnight train (outbound at least), is a dry train this year, which changes the experience a bit
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can book independently no problem on both the night service and the day service but trying to do it through Crystal Ski is a no go this year. I can only assume they have purchased less seat this year
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
viv wrote:
Other thing to note; the overnight train (outbound at least), is a dry train this year, which changes the experience a bit

Wow! Even not allowed to bring your own?

Half the reason people do the train is for the overnight boozefest.

Though handy for those who actually want to get some sleep. Only time I've done it I was stuck in a party carriage and wasn't part of the party. Coming back it was quiet though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
viv wrote:

Though handy for those who actually want to get some sleep. Only time I've done it I was stuck in a party carriage and wasn't part of the party. Coming back it was quiet though.

That's why this year we have booked day train going out and night train coming home Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you are looking to book accommodation plus train I'd recommend Peak Retreats or their subsidiary ski collection. I once looked at Crystal for a ski train plus accommodation package and they were not competitive.

For a family of four self catering in school holidays peak retreats were £1000 cheaper (saving of £250 per person) and we had a larger apartment than we would have had with Crystal (as they charge under occupancy supplements if you don't want to use the sofa bed for two people and want proper bedrooms instead).

I think the majority of Crystal's business is flight packages and so they are probably more competitive for that rather than train or self drive where there are probably better options.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Wow! Even not allowed to bring your own?

I think the official line is that you are only permitted to take unopened containers of non-alcoholic drinks through security. Whether security staff have the time and inclination to enforce this may be another matter

I once got chatting to the bar staff on the way back when they were cashing up, and I think they take 30x as much money at the bar on the outbound overnight train compared to the return overnight
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I once looked at Crystal for a ski train plus accommodation package and they were not competitive.

I stopped using the train when it got more expensive than flying (back in the days when I used TOs). When it was cheaper and you got an extra day skiing it was worth it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Even if it is more expensive travel wise you do get 33% more skiing in. Which makes it good value IMO depending on how much of a price you put on 2 extra days skiing, which you also get on the quieter Saturdays.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
last year it was £100 PP cheaper to go on the train, then take in to consideration the money saved on airport parking and ski carriage. No brainer Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
viv wrote:
I believe there is an M&S just before the platform so you can take a few bottles of wine with you.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We're going by the daytime Eurostar this year as it is less hassle than any of the airports for French resorts and the transfer from Moutiers to La Tania is shorter than airport transfers. It's also easier with luggage - if we fly out of Southampton luggage amounts are not generous.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Steveee wrote:
viv wrote:
I believe there is an M&S just before the platform so you can take a few bottles of wine with you.

The M&S is before security. It sounds like the only way to get drink on would be to buy unopened bottles from the bar after going through. According to reports on other threads they're enforcing the new rule.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Worth noting that if you do manage to get a Crystal ski train booking, you'll be stuck with the same people on the way back as on the way out.. so if you get stuck next to Jeremy Kyle show stars on the night train out, who appear to be continuing said show throughout the night, you spend your entire holiday sick with dread over the return journey. Crystal cannot move you and Eurostar just ignore you when you beg in tears at the station to be moved/upgraded even if you're happy to pay.

Not that I am bitter, oh no. Crying or Very sad

Book privately and it's probably a lot easier to move around and you're less likely to be stuck in Groundhog Day!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Funnily enough since starting this thread 2 more day time seats have come up with Crystal, only problem now is i'm not prepared to book 7 weeks in advance LOL. With this funny weather about it might be green by then Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy