Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzbuhel Mid to Late March.... Snow a concern?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Due to the birth of my son last Feb I didn't going skiing last year. This year my dad (Now 64) has some work commitments meaning we can only really go skiing in March.

Now my dad is knocking on a bit and doesn't get around the slopes as much as he did but still can ski at a low intermediate level (Mainly through choice).

He really fancies Kitz as in many years of skiing he has never been (neither have I), we have previously skied in Soll in mid March and was very lucky in that it snowed a bucket load on the 2nd day, by the final day it was super warm again and all that snow had gone and the bottom runs were slush central, even the top runs where suffering in 7c temps at 11am on the hoch salve. Had it not snowed early in week I doubt we could have even skied on the last couple of days.

So in a roundabout way could we have similar experience with Kitz, I mean if it doesn't snow /high temps could it get to the point where skiing is virtually not possible / no fun.

We are looking at 12th Mar for 7 days or 19th Mar for 7 days. 5th March is also a possibility.

I'm also eyeing up some of the more snow-sure Austria resorts such as Ishgul, Lech, Obergurgl, Obertauern, Solden how do these compare to Kitz in terms of Apres-ski and general atmosphere?

Any other Austrian resorts worth considering in March?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No-one can tell you exactly what snow conditions will be like in Kitzbuhel in mid-March this year, but as it's one of the lower resorts in Austria, it probably won't be as snowsure as the higher ones.

It has more chance of being better the earlier in the month you go before the Spring sunshine takes hold, but you're probably best leaving the decision of exactly where to go until last minute if you can. It could be warm & slushy or it could be cold with fresh powder at any time in March.

If I had my choice, the second week of March (so 5th-12th) is my favourite week to ski, crowds are lessening, the days are lengthening, lunches on a sunny terrace and there's often some fresh snow too.

Are you DIYing or looking for a TO package?

If the former, you could always book some flights into Salzburg, Innsbruck or Munich and make the decision about accommodation nearer the time, there should still be plenty of options come mid-March.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
TO most likely

I've actually see a Catered Chalet option with Crystal basically next to the Hahnenkamm meaning it's ski -in or at least a less than 1 min walk to / from the Hahnenkammbahn going on the 12th March, in fact the 19th is a LOT (Over £100 each) cheaper than the 12th but maybe too cheap if you know what I mean, like they know something I don't. There is also a Hotel option pretty close by at very similar price.

Honestly I'm not snobby about accommodation tripadvisor reviews indicate it's a decent option.

I'd rather be really close for the Lift and a 5 min walk into the resort centre than the other way round (And my dad defo will be better off this way round).

I'd rather be early March and 12th is pretty much the latest I'd go Options are more limited at the moment for 5th March, nice hotels but big price....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I got married in Kitzbuhel 5 years ago this April. We were basking in 25C n our shorts and t-shirts the morning after. In the afternoon, we got the Gondola up from Mittersill to have lunch watching the skiers. The H'kamm had shut that weekend but here was still plenty of snow, albeit soggy in the afternoon.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@impingu1984, Crystal have no ball, so they won't know anything about conditions at that time. They probably just have a fair amount of availability. We actually went to Kitzbuhel a few years ago with Crystal at the beginning of April - we booked late and didn't pay too much as a result considering it's school holiday. It was great - granted this has no bearing on the conditions when you go!

Day 1 was very warm, which was just as well as Gatwick lost my bag. I skied in a light jacket that day, got back and my bag was at the hotel with my ski jacket in. Rest of the week was cooler, but we had 2 days with fresh snow (not loads, but a bit).

My advice would be to sit tight and wait until closer to the time and just see what conditions are like.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've twice been to Kitz in March. Once with cold temperatures & great snow, one with warm temperatures & slushy snow lower down. The worst snow conditions I have ever encountered were in La Plagne in Feb. There are no guarantees with weather.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
By late March I think you can expect slopes to get slushy at the warmest time of day, especially on south-facing slopes. However that does NOT mean the skiing is bad - is a lot more fun than wind-scoured January boilerplate. Hire wider skis if need be, but slush surfing is super fun, and it's hard to beat a cold beer on a warm terrace in a t-shirt in the mountains as the sun goes down.

Warm temps and slush also do NOT mean the snow is rapidly melting and running down the mountain. You can have a month of that and still have plenty of snow to ski after. Even if it hadn't snowed on your trip, it's unlikely that a couple of warm days would have melted enough snow that it literally ran off the mountain in streams leaving none left for the last few days. Especially on dense, compacted pistes.

Saying that, it's perfectly possible (wouldn't even say unlikely) to get fresh snow then. I've skied cold powder in Kitz in April before.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
impingu1984 wrote:
Any other Austrian resorts worth considering in March?

Ischgl!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999 wrote:
wind-scoured January boilerplate.

Yep, that's my one abiding memory of Kitzbuhel...they even had to cancel the Hahnenkamm! Shocked
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@AthersT,

Have been looking at Ishgul, Lech, Obergurgl, Obertauern, Solden also...

Probably going to sit tight for a couple of weeks and see what happens with regards snow and prices.....

But Kitz is still a possibility thanks for the feedback, my only experience of Skiing in mid - late march in Austria was the aforementioned Soll experience which is probably making we think it will be a lot worse than it could be. There is of course a chance it could be that bad but it could be the opposite.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

However that does NOT mean the skiing is bad - is a lot more fun than wind-scoured January boilerplate. Hire wider skis if need be, but slush surfing is super fun, and it's hard to beat a cold beer on a warm terrace in a t-shirt in the mountains as the sun goes down.

@clarky999, Well said! The point might also be made that the more you ski in such conditions, the better you get at it., and it's the feeling of becoming increasingly competent, as less than ideal conditions become less of a struggle, that makes skiing so satisfying.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
the chalet referred to is the Karlberger, stayed there last January
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
5th Mar, go to Kitz for glitz.

Any later weeks than that, go to Lech. Best resort in Austria.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy