Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

inghams - word of warning

Poster: A snowHead
For those who havent read the t's and c's it explicitly states that each ski bag that is paid for can only contain 1 pair and not any other stuff like clothes etc. Well at least if you are flying charter with Titan from BHX.

Words from the tickets say.....

One pair of skis or a snowboard may be carried if pre booked - each ski bag should only contain a set of skis or a board. Airlines may refuse to accept ski bags containing boots, clothes etc....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think a lot of tour operators do this Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rgp, i am sure they do, but first time i have seen that wording written so explicitly, but perhaps i havent been paying attention.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's rubbish, why would they stop someone like myself taking just one hold bag, my board bag which I have paid for and then force me to take another hold bag which is part of my ticket cost containing my clothes and boots. It would cost them more in fuel this way.

Like someone mentioned previously this is more around insurance and if they lose your bag what they will pay for. Every time I go to the mountains I take just my board bag and some hand luggage and not once has anyone asked if anything other than 1 set of board/skis in there and the last time I went in March was with Inghams/Titan.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is normal - but the check-in staff don't work for the t/o and therefore don't check. So it is (should be!) safe to ignore.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Minion1980, i am not arguing that but i am just saying in many years of family trips with various TO's this is the first time i recall such explicit wording. As said i may have missed it and will check previous tickets out of interest.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just checked last 5 years of family tickets at half term, 3 with major TO's and none have the wording above or even anything similar.

Probably noone will get stung with this but...........
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm pretty sure the Inghams tickets I had in March said this and it was not an issue.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Flew with Titan on Saturday via Inghams. Everyone with skis/boards had helmets, boots and all sorts in their bags. Absolutely no problems at all. Not disputing the point you're making, just giving a first hand account.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Seanyb74, absolutely agree that its unlikely to be an issue as we have never had any issues with 'extras' in the ski bags, just pointing it out for those that may want to cover bases ahead of time.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Just checked last 5 years of family tickets...
And here's me believing myself to be a holiday stuff hoarder. I clearly need to think again... Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We flew with Thomas Cook on a Ski Total holiday 2 weeks ago, also part of the same group and it had the same wording on. No one checked or were asked about contents of ski / board bags.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Most times the terms are for TOs, not for the airlines.

I mainly book last minute with Crystal and fly out of Dublin. Nine times out of ten the flight is chartered with Monarch. Monarchs rules are that ski and board bags are included in the ticket price on charter flights, no extra charge even if you have other hold luggage. Crystal however want to charge @40 or so, and more if you haven't pre booked.

When you turn up at check in with your previously unpaid for ski/board bag and say "I've never paid ext a for my board bag" to the check in staff they go and check with the airline (Monarch) desk who look at the Monarch rules and check your extra luggage on for free. This has worked for the last 8-10 years, and saved me pretty much the cost of a last minute week away. Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This reminds me of my discussion with Easyjet last year, when I discovered that a ski bag was actually within dimensions for their normal checked luggage (I think a max length of 205cm). They agreed that bizarrely this meant I could happily check a 200cm length of drainpipe in a ski bag without paying extra, but if it was skis in the bag I had to pay.

I have resisted the temptation to try actually checking in some drainpipe in a ski bag to see what happens.

I did check in two (rolled) mattresses, which caused a bit of debate at checkin, but they were within dimensions and thus no extra charge.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skiworld's T&Cs ( out of interest as we go with them next week)...

Ski and Snowboard bags must contain 1 set of skis or 1 snowboard only and boot bags contain ski or snowboarding boots only (in case of delay or the necessity of offloading this equipment).

But as above, this is their T&Cs for European charter flights - who could be with Monarch or Thomas Cook. Monarch's weight limits on these bags is 12kg, Thomas Cook 15kg.

We have always been within weight and this year, as I have gone from skiing to boarding, are only taking one bag with 2 boards in. When we've had a ski and a board bag, there's been all manner of extra stuff in there (as there will be this time).

Yes, there's a risk if your bag doesn't turn up you might be missing some stuff and in our case, one of us would have to suffer the cost of hiring a board as only 1 would be covered under delay insurance.

But hey, I've paid for the extra weight allowance and I'm going to use it!!
ski holidays
I've been having a look and I can't find a definitive answer, but i'm not sure that the AIRLINE are legally able to inspect the contents of your bag. Security can obviously, but the airline themselves? Sure they can ask,but not too sure they can force you to open a bag...
snow conditions
@Richard_Sideways, Under DfT rules all bags have to be scanned before they are placed in the Hold. As most airports have many airlines operating this is done by a security company who are subcontracted to check that the bag is safe to travel - but for sure they won't care if your board boots are stuffed with your shreddies and your skis wrapped in your Santa Onesie!
ski holidays
@chocksaway, exactly my point. Security are only interested in safety or security items or contraband, not revenue streams for the airlines. So while the airlines can put any rules in place they like, can they actually enforce them by demanding you open your bag? I don't think they can... They can ask you; they can dress the wording up as formally as they like; but do they actually have the powers to do it?
ski holidays
@Richard_Sideways, however I believe they can blanket refuse to check in a bag.... Certainly observed that with people in front reshuffling stuff between bags / into hand luggage etc. So if you refuse to open said bag for checking surely they would just do that?
snow conditions
Quote:

but do they actually have the powers to do it?

Possibly not. But they do have the power to refuse to let you fly with them if you won't let them check that your luggage conforms to their terms and conditions for travel.

EDIT: I like NickyJ's answer better. Simple and effective.
latest report
The last couple of trips I've had with Inghams have been from Birmingham on those tiny looking Embraer planes. They weren't even offering ski carriage - which was fine for me as I didn't have my own skis then.
snow report
We always pack our snowboard bags out with our clothes. Its a good way of padding out and protecting the equipment. Also my understanding was you were paying up to an extra 15KG. Maybe I should ready the small print Laughing
ski holidays
Also Titan gave us the option of putting 2 boards in 1 bag this year. £40 per bag or £60 for 2 in one bag.
latest report
@rgp, Welcome to snowHeads!
snow report
Quote:

Titan gave us the option of putting 2 boards in 1 bag this year. £40 per bag or £60 for 2 in one bag

Am I alone in finding this PHENOMENALLY CHEEKY on Titans part?
I don't mind paying for an outsized bag, they're a pain to move about. I don't mind paying extra for the weight of that bag; costs money to fly stuff about. I don't particularly mind if they put some rules around what they will and won't pay out in compensation should it get left behind.. I DO take exception to them charging extra depending on the content of that bag being one piece of laminated ply or two... How much would they charge me if I filled the bag with polystyrene packing peanuts, or back copies of 'Womans Realm, or 15" black rubber chickens
Amended from "cocks"
? STAY OUT OF MY LUGGAGE.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 26-01-16 13:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
maybe you take exception too easily? As you've already hinted at, two of something is going to be heavier than one, typically be more valuable and probably more likely to get damaged while being chucked about by the handlers. Add to that the fact that it's a more valuable service to the customer and it seems to me a fairly simple and effective way of pricing the service.
snow report
@Richard_Sideways, I am with you entirely... It should be just based on dimensions & weight, however sadly they are commercial business and they seem to be able to set what they like. It is up there with my annoyance that when they changed the flight times on me I had no right to cancel etc and there T&C's not defining actual weight limit you will get. I've moaned surely this cant be right but told tough it is. Happy
snow conditions
For the last five years I have used a bag that can hold two pairs of skis and have never been challenged, even though the small print for most of my flights have stated one pair only allowed. I hope my luck continues because I think I may lose my rag if they start asking for even more money to carry two pairs.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Quote:

Titan gave us the option of putting 2 boards in 1 bag this year. £40 per bag or £60 for 2 in one bag

Am I alone in finding this PHENOMENALLY CHEEKY on Titans part?
I don't mind paying for an outsized bag, they're a pain to move about. I don't mind paying extra for the weight of that bag; costs money to fly stuff about. I don't particularly mind if they put some rules around what they will and won't pay out in compensation should it get left behind.. I DO take exception to them charging extra depending on the content of that bag being one piece of laminated ply or two... How much would they charge me if I filled the bag with polystyrene packing peanuts, or back copies of 'Womans Realm, or 15" black rubber cocks? STAY OUT OF MY LUGGAGE.

You would think the swear filter would have an issue with cocks, as it does bum, tit and rimming.

Or not as it transpires.
latest report
Some friends of ours travelled from Bristol (Inghams booking, Thomas Cook flight) and the check-in people were weighing the ski bags. Whether this was for the aircraft loading or trying to impose the one set per bag rule, I don't know.

Personally, I've had the ski bag checked on one, at least, occasion, although that was a few years ago. (The bag was zip-tied and they asked me to use my knife to open it! I assume this was a trick security question, although when I explained that I wasn't carrying a knife prior to going through security, they seemed a bit bemused.)
snow conditions
We've had them weighed at check in every time.
snow conditions
On that topic, last time I flew I forgot to detach my penknife from my keys and add to my checked in stuff. So I asked somebody just before the security check if I could pay to send it home to myself, but they took a look at it and told me it was fine as the knife was short enough!
ski holidays
All hold luggage is weighed. This helps the airline know how heavy the plane will be this is why some luggage gets forgotten on the odd flight. It gets added to the next flight.

Also they use the wieght for fuel calculations. Heavier plane more fuel.

(my brother is a engineer for BA)
snow conditions
Shouldn't they then take the weight of passengers into account. Some people are much heavier than others
latest report
KernowRed wrote:
All hold luggage is weighed.

I appreciate that but the issue is at what point the baggage is weighed. I've been in airports where the ski bags were not weighed at check-in but (I guess) were subsequently weighed at the oversize baggage or some other location. The airline is concerned with the total weight of the hold baggage whereas the TO may be concerned with the hold luggage weight on a passenger by passenger basis (especially if this leads to increased revenue).
ski holidays
Oh totally all to do with increased revenue, to help with all the fines they get, yeah right. PROFIT, PROFIT, PROFIT
ski holidays
So where we these bags labelled up then @jtr, ?

UK or abroad, always been checked in and labelled at check in, outsize baggage is literally a drop off point IME.
snow report
@jocrad, As you would expect the ski bags are labelled at check-in (although in past years at Innsbruck this happened at the oversize baggage area).
snow report
@KernowRed, You appear to have missed the "may" before you went off on one.
snow report
This is becoming ridiculous. They sell us a ski holiday and then make all their money on silly rules about ski carriage.

If you are selling ski holidays people will want to bring the equipment.

I always put both my skis and the wife's, in a big double ski bag and pay one fee. This time it went up from £20 to £40 and it's getting stupid.

Ouch!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy