Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dizziness after ski/board?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
To follow from someone's recent 'motion sickness' thread, does anyone else get "wobbly" and kind of "whoa..." head swaying dizzy - as if you're on a roller coaster or boat or similar - during or after a snowsports trip?
I've had this for about the last 3 years, always seems to start slowly around day 3 and remains with me on and off way after I've got home (in fact it seems worse on return trip and now back at home). Sitting here typing this now as if on a transatlantic yacht!!!
Can't link it per se to altitude or food/drink or anything else. Maybe have mildly-bunged ears/sinus issues (but every year???)... Think that the other half gets it too.
Wondered if it was the brain somehow adapting to swaying & rolling motions of ski-ing or - well, what? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Grizzler, I get that when skiing...but it doesn't last. I wear seabands on the slopes which really helps me with the disorientation that is a real problem in flat light, falling over when standing still because my brain doesn't know which way is up!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
homphomp wrote:
falling over when standing still because my brain doesn't know which way is up!

We've sussed up - but I'm still doing the Schladming slalom sitting typing this!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
When the light is really flat, I don't get dizzy as such, but certainly disorientated.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh dear - just been Googling - Mal de Debarquement (or land sickness). Another annoyance of the middle-aged female, then!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mal_de_debarquement

http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/central/mdd.html
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It's normally the Apres Ski that gets me that way wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hmm. My Missus got that when we were skiing in Aviemore in 2013. It has never left her. Literally every moment of every day is like on board a ship for her. Somedays terrible, some days just swaying. She literally bounces off the walls walking down the corridor from our office. Diagnosed now as Vestibular Migraine. The drugs are f*cking awful, and other than completely changing her personality, have next to no effect on her balance.
If anybody learns of any other treatments available in the UK, or close by, please let me know, I would literally give my left bollock to sort this out. And that's my best one wink

Iain

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 25-01-16 17:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Grizzler, never heard of that before, although I often feel like I'm still moving for a day or two after a long journey. "the condition often abates when the patient is in motion", time to go skiing again maybe?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Strax, strax - sounds horrible and I think that there are non-drug things that could be tried... had a problem when I had a tooth extracted, and the wiggling upset the crystals in my inner ear - just one displaced crystal can be a big problem - there is an exercise (laying down and then getting up in a weird way - leaflet from your doctor - brandt-daroff manoeuvre see http://www.entmags.org/does_skiing_cause_vertigo.asp - no problem just trying this) - but also an explanation could be other vascular conditions such as undiagnosed hypertension - see (http://www.entmags.org/does_skiing_cause_vertigo.asp).

I do use a wobble board which helps when I have post-skiing balance issues, which crops up occasionally:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wobble+board&client=safari&hl=en-gb&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiB0-eavcXKAhUMEywKHZosAWMQ_AUICCgC#imgrc=VOQsNrmgB0jHOM%3A

Best of luck with resolving it...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy