Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Sunday and 'sponsorship'

Poster: A snowHead
Its been well documented that GB has to cover up the fact that his jacket is Nevica with a lovely sticky plastic bit, but did anyone else wonder why it was alright for them both to be wearing 'Bolle' goggles with the name hard to miss??? what is the policy??
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@iskar, Chemmy has obvious sponsors on display too. If they can afford flashy new title sequence then you'd think they could stretch to BBC Sport logo'd gear.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ed's goggles are Dragon ones and he wears them all the time, even in the pieces in the streets behind the viewing grandstands. He looks a bit of a diddy when everyone else is in their bobble hats and sunglasses.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is it BBC policy in play here? Maybe GB is simply ashamed of going to buy his ski gear from highstreet sportswear/jumblesale/shoplift depot SportsDirect.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Richard_Sideways, he is definitely sponsored (ie paid, not just free gear) by Nevica, and Chemmy is by Jack Wolfskin, and Ed is by whatever brand that is that only boarders would understand. Does it make it any more likely I'd rush out and buy any of that stuff? No. However the Beeb do have rules about product placement so I guess any Mr Angrys from Purley should write in.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
He used to have Peak Performance sponsorship .. much nicer than that terrible gear he wears !!! I think its a little odd as no point for Nevica if the branding not visible. No one would agree to this. So either he has lost sponsorship and is just wearing it (unlikely, but who knows) or there is a legal dispute of some sort. Curious though
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can't cost that much to sponsor Graham Bell, Bus fare and a scotch egg should cover it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chemmy was POC'd right up when she first appeared on the prog.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If he grew his hair longer he could do a Chemmy and hide the logo behind his flowing locks, thus saving on the cost of the colour co-ordinated sticky plastic bit ... Smile :: We got a flash of 'Jack Wolfskin' from Chemmy during her piece to camera this weekend..........
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I blame SnowHeads - there was so much comment here about Nevica that it came to the Beeb's attention Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
there was a huge amount of Jack Wolfskin and Milka in the races as well!!!
Im sure GB started off with nevica showing, and then was told it had to be covered up, EL was wearing Dragon at the start but im sure he had Bolle goggles on at one time as well, just seems a bit strange some is allowed and some not, having seen GBs snowboard with its naked woman I don't think Nevica would embarrass him Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Is it BBC policy in play here? Maybe GB is simply ashamed of going to buy his ski gear from highstreet sportswear/jumblesale/shoplift depot SportsDirect.

No it is definite policy. I rocked for Olympus Microscopy and we loaned the Vets at Edinburgh Zoo some kit to test the fertility of the Pandas [no PaulC it is not how I lost my Eye Happy ].

I had to remove my security pass because it had an Olympus lanyard with a big logo. What they didn't know was... I turned the eyepieces around so the closeups of the Vets looking down the microscope showed the Olympus Logo on the microscope. Happy

However, they do look around and ask for things to be removed and boxes to be put out of sight when there is a logo on it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If not BBC policy then it's OFCOM rules, law?, and/or BBC's interpretation of them.
Advertising and content must be separate, afaik, even in non-BBC stuff.
But there's certainly a lot of product placement that's prominent without being "prominent" or explicit advertising. Clearly, in the case that so many in the know, know exactly the brands not being advertised. Also things like Go-Pro cameras being so clearly on-screen, with no effort made to hide them, but their Sony etc. bulletcam predecessors would never ever be in shot.

Friend was in that Kim+Aggie programme. Had to go to great efforts to hide logos there too. Even to the extent that we'd made him a pair of Joy Division Oven Gloves as a joke *, and the C4 producers allowed him to hang them on the oven door, but only if oriented so the Joy Division badge was not visible. And that's hardly a recent marketable logo, and would barely even be visible on C4, even in HD.

So not just BBC.

(* HMHB fans will get that one)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Its something to do with BBC policy and their charter (i.e. the way licence fee is used) that governs how commentators / presenters are allowed to use the status they have as a result of BBC progs. Not blanket from Ofcom as ITV basically survives on product placement.

My understanding was that Michelle Roux Jr left Masterchef because he's in adverts for some random potato brand. As potatoes are food, and the Beeb created his profile as a trusted source of info on food, he couldn't do both that and Masterchef. (Therefore he chose the money, or was in a contract that couldn't be broken).

Football and crisps are seen as sufficiently different though, so Gary Lineker is okay.

I guess GB doesn't actually appear on adverts for Nevica / SD so he scrapes by? Either that or he isn't seen as having a high enough skiing profile... Shocked
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Even though his Nevica badge is taped over, most can clearly work out its Nevica. In a funny kind of way, having it taped over makes you notice it much more than it would if just left au naturel. Also there is a Nevica 'N' on his arm.

According to the SD website, he is Brand Ambassador http://www.sportsdirectplc.com/our-brands/sports-and-leisure/nevica.aspx

Yours sincerely,

Disgusted License Payer.
latest report
What an awful company to represent, GB you should be ashamed!
snow conditions
I bet he's Brand Ambassador on a zero-hours contract, though.
snow report
@Acacia, zero work hours but a big fat fee for image rights. I'm amazed they think they need a brand ambassador at all. Just looked, many £200 jackets going for £50. Most being bought by non-skiers I would think, doggers and the like.
ski holidays
Maybe the answer is that Nevica doesn't meet the criteria to be a skiwear brand?
ski holidays
@Pynch, So he couldn't wear it on Dogging Monday?
snow report
All this slating of Nevica and laughing at the brand rolling eyes....Well I can only speak as I find having just road tested a £62 new Nevica jacket in France in the last fortnight:
- 10,000 wotsits of waterproofness; tested in p****ing rain on the first 2 days of skiing. Verdict? Pass - I was bone dry.
- Very thick and warm; tested in temp of minus 18C plus awful wind chill. Another pass.

Anyone can, of course spend what they like on Killy, Kjuss, Spyder etc...each to their own and all that - but I'd rather spend £500 on a holiday than on a ski jacket

The only blow is that the jacket in question is now £50 in the sale Laughing...

Oddly, on Ski Sunday, Graham Bell's Nevica trousers were clearly visible on his Kitzbuhel downhill run; and there was no attempt to cover up Chemmy's Jack Wolfskin logos.
snow report
I can't believe the snobbery on here some times, I mean don't get me wrong I wouldn't be seen dead in Nevica but think of the poor sods who know no better!
snow report
I was amused that there was a guy in a Soloman jacket behind them with the logo taking up his whole back. Pointless especially when as said above the logo was still on his arm. BBC News reporters seem to manage to show who they buy their outerwear from.
snow report
My problem personally isn't with Nevica as a brand or the quality of their items, I'm sure for the money they are extremely good. The problem is they are owned by Sports Direct and they are a disgusting employer who treat their staff like absolute poo-poo. For that reason I would boycott them.
ski holidays
Had the Nevica Vail jacket for over a year now (plus one of their helmets) - got to say it's pretty good, was -45c windchill at the top of jangfrau Joch last week and I wasn't cold at all. I got it for £50 in a sale.

yep, the "N" logo on Graham's arm is a complete give away anyways, so why bother covering up the full name.
latest report
@Minion1980, +1 (unless something is really cheap, in which case my morals desert me)

@Jake43, BBC News reporters buy their own gear, they aren't paid to wear it. That's an important difference.
snow report
@Minion1980, Yep - my view exactly.

TBH - (despite tongue in cheek above) smugness on branding irritates me too, if it is cheaper but works just as well - go for it. However, I have found that some of the more expensive stuff (not necessarily branded, it is about build quality not the name) does tend to last much longer than cheap and cheerful which can be a false economy.

What also annoys me is the SportsDirect pretend massive discount sales / everything must go fakery. There is basically no point in getting something that isn't 50% off - just sell it at that price all the time and make it easier for everyone to make a real judgement about the price point!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy