Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Pass avec insurance - so what happens when you have an accident?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Back in December, the 20th to be precise my daughter fell on her first run and hurt her knee. At the time I thought it was really bad as she said she heard a click in her knee as she fell. But after a while she was not too bad, and was able to ski with me back to the lift where she went back down with my OH whilst I carried on skiing with her twin.

We bought a day ticket avec insurance.

Once back down OH went to lift office to ask where the Medical center was as we'd heard it had closed, as she wanted to get daughters knee checked. Two "Pisteurs Secouristes" then showed up and determined that Siggy should be taken in the ambulance to the hospital.

All the lift pass info was taken down (the fact that she had insurance) etc by them and then again at the hospital by the medical staff, though she did not have her E1-11 with her.

Fortunately the knee was only sprained.

Two days later there was a message on Siggy's phone from the Rescue Office. I rang back and was told I had to declare the accident by going to a website http://www.assuranceski.com/. I did try but it was none too user friendly, and I did think why as she was insured so end of story.

Last week Siggy rings from the UK to say there was a bill from the hospital for nigh on 250€

So went down to the Office to have a "chat" - I told her how I did not manage to declare the accident on the site, she said I must do this though Siggy would still have received a bill and not to worry ???!

In declaring the accident I was amazed that I did not have to enter the forfait number or accident report number - so I now await any communication from AssuranceSki as to how they marry it all up?

Anyone else been through this ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure about AssuranceSki but the E111 data should help. I had an overnight stay in Bourg hospital a few years back and received a very large bill a few weeks after my return. I didn't have an E111 so I contacted the DWP and was told to apply and then send the number as it's entitlement not having it that counts. I sent the hospital the E111 number and the bill was reduced to 50euro.

Hope this helps.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Weathercam, did you not need to send any documents to them?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Hells Bells, they did not ask for anything - maybe I'll get Siggy to send the hospital her E1-11 anyway with a copy of the bill.

But to me, just seems that there's a bit of a dis-connect (what a surprise) when having insurance on your pass between the lift pass office, the rescue service and the hospital etc

Though I understand as per @tarrantd, that if you were to go into hospital for a non skiing issue you may have to indeed pay the first 70€ if you have an E1-11 but again no mention is made of this in the insurance small print nor did the girl in the office say we had to pay anything?

What happened with Jules which was obviously far more serious etc was that UK insurance ?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Carre or Carte Neige is not a substitute for proper travel insurance. E.g it wouldn't cover any private ambulances or treatment in a private resort clinic. An EHIC is really important to have but only entitles you to the treatment a local would get in a state facility. any uk travel insurance policy is likely to have a fairly hefty excess for each incident.

As for being required to inform the insurance company about an incident that's surely par for the course, though obviously easier for most of us to do it in English!

IME it's best, if in any doubt, to call piste rescue and get a ride down. You kind of "get into the system" that way. After all, they only had your word that the accident happened the day she'd been insured.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Weathercam, the form you linked to asked for documents to be sent to the insurers. There was an address. They might for example need that hospital bill. http://195.25.187.73/menu/accueil_dossier/type_produit/25
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@pam w, @Hells Bells, the thing is at no time did anyone mention about declaring the accident etc it all just sort of came out of the woodwork afterwards.

I just thought with Carte Neige on the ski pass that you had taken the insurance out with the lift co and hence piste security and that they would waive everything as it were once they had determined that you had the insurance.

No major hassle just a bit strange?

A week after Siggy did hers friends daughter wiped out and did her knee badly and she had NO insurance but nothing was asked ???!!!

I keep thinking that if I was a French club rugby player on a tour in England and bust my leg, then there would be no issues what so ever ?

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 25-01-16 17:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Always carry your EHIC card.
I ended up in hospital in Schwaz, Austria for 10 days. All checked off on the EHIC, not the insurance policy.
The Ambulance wasn't covered though. Insurance stumped up for that. I use BMC British Mountaineering Council insurance.
I always thought that the Carre Neige was just for rescue. But I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Carte Neige is for everything.

This just in on an email this morning.

Bonjour,

Nous accusons bonne réception de votre déclaration d'accident, enregistrée sous le numéro ci-dessus que vous voudrez bien rappeler dans toute correspondance à notre Service Gestion.

Afin de pouvoir traiter votre dossier dans les meilleurs délais, nous vous remercions de bien vouloir nous fournir les informations ou les pièces suivantes sous un délai de 15 jours.

- Merci de nous faire parvenir les pièces suivantes :

• Certificat médical initial constatant les lésions

• Original du justificatif de vente du/de(s) forfait(s)

• Can you send me the original of medical certificate including the hurts, proof of purchase and your lift pass. Cordially.

En ce qui concerne le remboursement de vos frais médicaux engagés sur place et restés à votre charge, merci de nous adresser les Originaux de vos décomptes Sécurité Sociale et/ou de votre Mutuelle, (Franchise relative de 40.00 Euros).

Vous souhaitant un prompt rétablissement, et restant à votre service pour tout renseignement complémentaire,
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My understanding is that if you buy a lift pass "avec assurance" then you're covered for 1st line treatment and evacuation on their insurance but after that point you have to pick up with another insurance policy.

When my brother was helicoptered off, they said that the helicopter was covered and the treatment where ever they took him would be too.. we had a choice Annecy or the Resorts Medical Centre.

As it was Christmas Day, Annecy was over an hour way by car and our clients were expecting Christmas Dinner with all the trimmings we went for the Medical Centre.

However they weren't able to relocate his shoulder so we had to get an ambulance to the Valley and they popped it back in under general aneasthetic.

We had to pay (and then reclaim) the ambulance to the Valley and hospital but never saw the bills for the blood wagon, helicopter ambulance to Medical Centre or Medical Centre.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@marcellus, take a look at
http://www.assuranceski.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Orion-A4-Assur-Glisse-Serre-Chevalier-EN-15-16-V1.pdf

G4. Refund of medical and hospitalisation costs following a skiing accident incurred at the resort of in the nearest medical care facilities and left for the account of the insured after the intervention of the Social Security and/or any other insurance or provident organisation, etc

There is also repatriation back to the UK

So what I've now worked out - is that in effect you are taking an insurance policy out with a third party company and not the resort, which I thought to be the case.

Suppose I should have read the small print in the first place, as I did think it was hassle free no questions asked rolling eyes

But reading the above again "and left for the account of the insured after the intervention of the Social Security and/or any other insurance or provident organisation" it is still a tad confusing n'est pas?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
confusing to say the least, we always get the assurance with the pass as it stop questions when on the mountain as the proof is there for all to see that you have insurance, then we make sure our E111s are valid plus we have annual travel insurance to include winter sports and off piste and when we lived there we had our Carte Vitales.

I think that was belt, braces plus a pair of suspenders!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I imagine the reference to "social security" is not confusing for people who live in France @Weathercam. As for a French rugby player breaking a leg, he could use NHS (with his EHIC card) but if its an expensive leg requiring the immediate attention of a top orthopod, then the team's insurance would no doubt be useful. He probably wouldn't spend 5 hours in A&E.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, that was for the English the link I posted - and the quote re "social security" was from that.

And the reference to a club rugby player was just a normal tourist rugby player not an International or top flight club player, sorry I should have made that clear.

Basically if you were a Frenchie walking down Oxford Street and sprained your ankle badly and went to A&E and X-Rayed etc you would not have to go through so much hassle!

And by the way my OH and daughter spent four hours down in the hospital here.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Weathercam wrote:

Basically if you were a Frenchie walking down Oxford Street and sprained your ankle badly and went to A&E and X-Rayed etc you would not have to go through so much hassle!
#
Arguably that's because we have an NHS system that is a bit too free at the point of delivery ( to the extent that non EHIC nationals go unbilled for major costs all too frequently). You know that France is bureaucratic so why do you expect dealing with second tier and below insurance to be simple?

My lesson learnt from dealing with the medical system in a number of countries is to avoid engaging for things that aren't majorly debilitating or a threat to health. For me I've had enough knee injuries to know that no-one can actually do anything about them in the short term so ice and a tubigrip with crutches will suffice in many instances until the swelling goes down.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy