Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The magic of easiski

Poster: A snowHead
I’m sure some of you have read that I have just come back from Les Deux Alps and spent some time with easiski for some lessons. This was because I wanted to continue the instruction we started at last year’s end of season bash in Les Arcs. I booked 3 sessions with Charlotte each of 2 hours, I travelled out on my own and skied most of the time by myself something I have done often before and so quite happy that I would have ample time to practice. On My first day I just re-found my ski legs and loosened up a little in preparation for a morning lesson.

Lesson 1 started with Charlotte asking how I thought my skiing was and what I wanted to work on and where I had been skiing the day before, at this point I was honest and said I felt I was still had my weight back and that I wanted to get the basics right. Charlotte suggested we ski for a bit and look at what was wrong. Having had a lesson with Charlotte before I knew what to expect and wasn’t surprised to started work on exercises designed to move my weight forward and discover the natural point at which I felt balanced. We did several exercises on the Cretes, an ideal easy terrain slope to practice. It’s surprising how tiring these exercises can be I think the only thing we didn’t do was use a skipping rope but jumping tips, tails and one leg turns etc were the order of the day. After these exercises Charlotte took me down the Grand Pente complete with a few moguls and heavily tracked snow. Good fun but really made me concentrate on what we had been working on, by the end of the day results were showing and coming through I began to feel my weight more forward I finished the lesson with a huge smile and promised to practice all the exercises during the afternoon and the next morning.

Now I’m sure your all thinking I bet he didn’t practice, but your wrong I did and hour of ski exercises every day this trip was all about improving my skiing so practise was a must. During lesson one Charlotte noticed that the mid point of my boot was behind the centre line of my ski bindings which have 3 position setting we discussed the benefits of moving the bindings forward, an easy single screw adjustment that could easily be changed back without harm if it didn’t work. This simple change instantly made my skis more responsive and I found that I didn’t have to work so hard to get the same result. Instantly building my confidence that my skis would do what I wanted when I need them to.

Lesson one was about balance, weight transfer and swaying (dare to dive) to get the skis to turn naturally. Lesson 2 was developing this further and introducing the “pranger turn” using the inside knee to generate power in the turn. I assumed wrongly that we would work on the Cretes again we didn’t we went up on to the Glacier and used the wide terrain to warm up, then Charlotte took me down the wall which was nice heavily off piste, then off down the side of the Glacier in some fantastic off piste snow which was tracked powder on a good base. Again Charlotte had chosen terrain that would really make me focus on technique because if I didn’t I was not going to get down. Every slight lapse of concentration or mistake and the conditions would try and push me back. Perfect to develop commitment to a turn and “dare to dive” and really push my weight forward. Some exhilarating skiing and during a lesson too. After completing this run we set off back down the mountain with Charlotte finding challenging terrain on the way sometimes just to avoid worn or stony areas but great fun. The sun was setting and the view was fabulous finishing the day with a fast run down concentrating on pushing my weight forward. We were followed by the pisteurs and were almost the last ones down. A superb and tiring but brilliant lesson.

A day off between lessons and after my hour of exercises I went off and did the previous days runs again each time with more commitment and with it I developed control, balance and confidence to tackle areas I would never have dreamed of going. I was already able to feel the improvement in my technique both on piste and off piste.

Lesson 3 was all about hands and arms, and back to the Cretes for some sign post turns we then went off down Bellcombe one of the steepest blue runs I have ever seen anywhere to put it all together with the arms doing what they were supposed to and in the right position. It is amazing how that forces the weight to be in the right place to give you more control especially on steep pitches. So daring to dive with prangers and sign post arms working together we attacked the Grand Couloir which was officially close because of a few rocks. The snow was fantastic and this was the steepest bit of off piste we did, the control I had developed was really showing and was able to place my turns almost always in Charlottes tracks. A superb run and one that I will do again when I go back especially when there is more snow. The lesson wasn’t over it was back down Le Y a steep black down to resort to snow was brilliant on this run, with some elegant formation skiing to watch during a breather this was a fitting end to a fabulous 3 lessons.

Was it worth it, you bet , Charlottes simple approach of focus on the biggest problem first and then work through and adding little bits on until it all fits together and clicks no matter what level of skier you are works . In just 3 lessons I have moved forward to a much higher standard than I would have thought, with a bit of focus and concentration and lots of practice I hope to maintain the improvements I have made. I will know when I ski at the EOSB and Charlotte can work her magic if only for a short time. If you are serious about improving then lessons are a must but practise the exercises in between your lessons.

I’m already planning a trip to Les Deux Alps next year in January so if anyone is interested in joining me for some serious improvement and one to one lessons let me know.

Thanks Charlotte I’ll be back. snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 14-01-06 23:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Russell, Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski, well done. Has made me even more determined to get out to you at some point!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Russell, great write up - I hope I get a chance to benefit from the easiski magic when I'm in L2A for Easter weekend!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Russell,

Fantastic - that feeling of trying to put the lessons into practice and each time pushing it a little further - it's the best way to feel happy whilst learning IMHO snowHead

Well done both of ya!!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So it is magic...or sheer talent, determination and skill?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's a case of keeping it simple and clear - combination of talent, experience and motivation. Repeating the basics and finding different ways of getting the same essential points across. We had just two lessons with easiski on the glacier in July. Excellent, really good use of the time, plenty to think about, pitched at the right level for us (rather lower than Russell's). Not able to follow up until now, and maybe we are not quite so dedicated as Russell. Plus, we have visitors at our apartment and they want to see around the resort, not do exercises (we'll do that after they've gone). But I can certainly see the difference that the lessons made to my husband's skiing, much more ankle flex, much more relaxed, much better position. I am sometimes getting it right, but more often not, but at least I am aware of it. I think I'm better, but that belief knocked for a burton yesterday on a black run that I came down like a pregnant giraffe. Not a specially difficult black, either. I was on my own as the others had chosen the blue option - I should have done the same, and skied it properly. I have had a range of ski lessons in my time, and with some good instructors, but never yet found one who seemed to care quite as much as easiski. I think that's the magic ingredient.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, Thanks more Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I agree with you both. They're keeping mostly the red runs open in Sauze, and there's no way I would have got down the steeper bits without those signpost arms keeping me forward... every time I began to panic, she was there wink
Thanks, easiski snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Elizabeth B, I think a determination to see an improvement in her pupils? Makes our hols more enjoyable too if we can get down the mountain in style.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Michelle, glad it's helping Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Helen Beaumont, style -your boys???????? wink wink wink wink wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, Very Happy Very Happy , I meant me, I booked them a morning with Gavin of Eurekaski over Christmas. Let's say he had a good laugh anyway.
Something about only turning when the piste did? And how the hell did I ever manage to ski with them? Julian went too, but I had a separate 2 hour lesson to myself.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I went skiing with Easiski and found her extremely good - The Professor of Ski Instruction at the University of Les Deux Alpes!! She is a lovely, wonderful lady. I hope to go back to Les Deux Alpes at some point for some more instruction from her.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jb1970, thanks - more Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski, you are ace, as i saw from the psb - you deserve the praise - but do u reckon u cud make anything better out of me if i came to BLAM? About 3 years with no lessons hasn't done me any good.
Embarassed Embarassed
If I manage to get to BLAM and have enough funds left over i am soooooooo having a lesson - i really really need one! It's been years since I had one.
Charlotte rocks, full stop.
Jules
snow conditions
crazy_skier_jules, I would love to help you, but even if you get to BLAM, I'm afraid I won't be able to myself! Too much work on here! I heard you did really well on very help from Ise - so you have talent Jules, your day will come. Think about PSB 2006????? Worry about your exams, and then the rest afterwards!! Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
easiski, okie dokie!
Will get Ise to be a sub teacher. Should be fun!
I was in the back seat, lol, they told me to imagine i was throwing myself down the mountain. Yeah, like I'd really want to do that... Shocked
It did help though, I guess 3+ years of skiing without lessons, and only having lessons up to snowplough turns has given me really bad habits.
PSB 2006 - Hell yeah!
It's not the skill, it's the fear. It's the fear that stopped me doing 'the wall' at the PSB, it's the dear that stops me doing red runs, and I don't know how to stop it. Sad Sad Sad Sad I'm sure if it wasn't for my fear I'd be going down blacks by now. It's the steepness. I'll go hellishly fast on a blue, but put me on anything steeper and it's nah-ah. And I don't even know why. Losing control, I suppose. Sad
Need fear therapy. lol!
latest report
crazy_skier_jules, All quite normal - do not worry - we can sort it out. Anyway I think you're being a bit hard on yourself - maybe expecting to be able to do things that are a bit unrealistic with so little experience. Get a nice summer job, save the pennies and come back to LDA - Cathy says hi BTW. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
crazy skier jules

False
Eexpectations
Appearing
Real

Its your mind playing tricks telling you what could happen not what will happen

Feel the fear and do it anyway
ski holidays
Having just spent a week in LDA and six lessons with Easiski for Mr Finnbob and myself then I reckon this thread should be renamed. There is no magic or mirrors, it's all down to Charlotte's skill in analysing her pupils' skiing and her strong desire and ability to help anyone get the best out of themselves. We were ten week skiers with much British instruction to our names, yet I skied like R2D2 and Mr FB, although quite a reasonable skier, did not have much confidence in his ability. Easiski immediately sussed out just what I was doing incorrectly (almost everything!) and many of her exercises later R2D2 has gone (well he does appear if I get in a panic but I've only had a week to get rid of him!). Mr FB, thanks to Charlotte, now has more control and more knowledge as to exactly where he was going wrong. All in all a very enjoyable week with our skills improving beyond our wildest dreams thanks very much to Easiski. You will all no doubt have guessed by now that we can highly recommend lessons with Charlotte - what a star she is! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Oops, missed this thread earlier, otherwise I would have added my comments in it, rather than start a new one. And, Russell, you are not the only one to praise sign post turns snowHead
ski holidays
finnbob, Thanks
Nick Zotov, I think Mr finnbob, would agree - he liked them loads!
ski holidays
Sounds like I'm missing out on a good tip, what are signpost turns please ?
snow report
mike.healy, Trade secret!!! Are you coming to the EOSB????? wink wink wink
snow conditions
easiski, Unfortunately no, I doubt that I would be able to keep up with most of you anyway. VT sounds good.
ski holidays
mike.healy wrote:
easiski, Unfortunately no, I doubt that I would be able to keep up with most of you anyway.

Fortunately we spend a great deal of time giggling and falling over Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
mike.healy, Next year then - or here or ???? Sorry to be mean, but I do have to keep something back for paying students!!!! Shocked Shocked
latest report
mike.healy it's a trade secret worth paying for. Signpost turns made a monumental difference to me and Mr Finnbob. We both wish we had found easiski earlier on in our skiing careers - and we have both had mainly British instructors so no lack of understanding because of language problems. Charlotte is the biz!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mike.healy you could keep up with us ! Nee bother.
ski holidays
mike.healy, And Paul Mason, will have to wait for me/.
latest report
easiski, good on ya!
latest report
Having just returned from L2A and two private lessons with Charlotte, I thought that I would resurrect this thread.

Lesson one was spent practising balance exercises on the green run at Cretes, followed by a run down the black off the top of the two man chair (can't remember the name), practising my turns, "daring to dive", and punching my pole plants. Lesson two was back on the green runs, trying to initiate carved turns by pressure changes to my ski, followed by a sort of moving slalom down the green cat track to resort, practising the carved turns.

My initial thoughts were that the lessons had been good fun, and surprisingly difficult on green runs (one fall each day), but I was unsure how they would translate to my normal skiing technique, and how beneficial they would be overall, but the next day I was shocked to find out how much they had affected my awareness of my normal stance. Instead of standing in a neutral to back position, I was more forward, and found myself fighting to push myself even more forward on my skis on the steeper slopes so leading to better turn initiation, and much better edge hold than I had been having before. To me, it felt as my skiing had really improved, and that I was skiing a lot more efficiently than I had been previously, and all through a better awareness of what my weight was doing, caused by the exercises that Charlotte had given me.

So once again, a solid recommendation for lessons with Charlotte, easiski, she really does know what she's talking about. Very Happy
ski holidays
So, this magic of hers... should I bring a pack of cards? Will she draw rabbits out of ski hats? (if so, will they be ski bunnies?)... we need to know!
latest report
Wow, I am seriously impressed by these glowing tributes and looking forward more than ever to my course-of-three lessons at the EoSB - and now I understand why Charlotte says I should leave time between lessons for practice...

Four weeks on Saturday! Very Happy
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, Bunny rabbits maybe!!

Kramer, Thanks for that. Very Happy Very Happy Blush
snow report
And to add another glowing tribute, John and I had just one lesson with Charlotte on the afternoon of our first day last Friday, both of us wanting to stop looking like we'd skiied for years on long straight skis. There's something about the way Charlotte explains and demonstrates that just makes it all click and feel right, and her lessons are fun too. Very Happy

And she was also very impressive standing up to half a dozen angry young male bladers most of whom were behaving quite threateningly and aggressively (but that's another story on another thread).

Charlotte, we both loved skiing with you in the hidden valley (Gours?) and as for climbing up to fill my water bottle from the waterfall tucked away under the rocks buried in the snow - that was special Very Happy
ski holidays
RachelQ wrote:
And she was also very impressive standing up to half a dozen angry young male bladers most of whom were behaving quite threateningly and aggressively (but that's another story on another thread).

Have they recovered yet wink
snow report
Elizabeth B, Laughing One of them actually snatched her pole, skiied off and threw it off the side of the piste. Fortunately one of the better mannered chaps, who knew his mate had behaved badly, pointed out to us where he'd thrown it. It turned out they did us a favour, as we had a few lovely turns in fresh snow off the piste which we wouldn't have seen otherwise snowHead
latest report
Glad to see that you and JohnQ made it back in one piece. Did you come back together, or did you get split up? NehNeh
snow report
Kramer, shhh! You'll get us a reputation, we do usually follow instructions Laughing We won't mention the getting off the lift incident, ok?

Seriously though, it was great to ski with you on Friday, good to be shown around the mountains by someone who knew them well, and great too to ski most of the black runs on our first morning. Shocked Shame you took the good weather away with you when you left - that was the last we saw of the sun, except for a couple of hours on Monday when it brightened up for our off piste skiing with Charlotte.

Look forward to skiing with you again in VT next month.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy