Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New ski help please!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi I've just joined and would love some advice if possible. I've been skiing on my first pair of skis for 6 years now, they are head first ones 142cm. I'm looking to progress now and am so confused with all the talk of rockers and flex and holding the edge!! I would class myself as a gentle but intermediate skiier, I have no interest in getting into the park but do enjoy some fast turns and a bit of speed. I don't tend to go off piste but would like skis that allowed me the option to and I'd also like twin tips.
I also think that I was perhaps given skis a little too short for me? I'm 5'3" and 10 stone.

If anyone has any recommendations I'd be so grateful, we leave for La Tania in 5 weeks and would love them before then. Thank you!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My other half loves the Blizzard Black Pearls. Only partial twin tips (i.e. not really at all) but they meet the other criteria. [EDIT: looks like the 2016 ones are badged as flat tails]

Not really sure on the height aspect - I guess the 159 would be right?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I also have Blizzard Black Pearls and love them - same sort of use as you. I'm 5'5" and the same weight as you, I have the 166cm. They have given me loads of confidence.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mummy would best be served to work with a local ski shop, assuming one is available and lean on them (in person) to assist her toward her goal. Not into brands, that I avoid.

Question to Mummy............ Why in heaven any notion toward a twin tip? Seriously. If you're a gentle cruiser who naturally likes to go at a good clip......... No. Just get a great all-around ski - chiefly a "piste" ski - whose flex accommodates your weight that is not too wide. This wideness thing is so over-rated. I trust your boots - the single most important piece of equipment - are well suited for you.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you very much for your replies. The blizzard reviews sound great. I'm very interested in them.

Hi arcs thank you for your advice. I admit it must sound odd with my style why I would like twin tips, the honest answer is that I just fancy giving this backwards thing a go! We have annual passes to our local dry slope so we are there once or twice a week, I fancy seeing if I can pull it off!

Unfortunately my experience of ski shops local to us hasn't been fantastic, the nearest one that I would trust is edge and wax in Worthing and that is a 4 hour round trip, however I am thinking it will be worth the journey.

My boots are perfect still, very comfortable, in fact edge and wax checked them over a month ago for me and sorted me out with a custom footbed so I'm all good there.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My wife has a pair of atomic vantage supremes which are semi twin tips I think - she loves them
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would recommend trying a recreational slalom ski and a recreational GS ski.
Like the Hero. ST and LT.
First principles.
Get a lesson, and learn to make the ski bend.
Longer, softer skis bend more easily. But you need more lean to turn tightly.
On the other hand you can get grip at low angles without dramatically turning.
It's definitely worth learning from a professional. It will save you years of unlearning in the future.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you for all your help, its much appreciated.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy