Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski disintegrated in Kitzbuhel downhill crash (spoiler)

Poster: A snowHead
Svindal crashed on the Kitzbuhel downhill but one binding of his Head skis did not release as it should have and the ski disintegrated! Extremely dangerous, he was very lucky to walk away without serious injury. Head skis need to sort themselves out, that's appalling.

http://www.therevcounter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=37021&d=1453583872

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 24-01-16 0:11; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That was a pretty impressive crash.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was waiting to watch Ski Sunday and avoiding all news of the race. Hey ho.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skiing news on ski website shocker Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, well one would think news of the race would be confined to the snowsports forum perhaps?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Minion1980 wrote:
Yes, well one would think news of the race would be confined to the snowsports forum perhaps?

It's the equipment failure that I'm questioning.

hth
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Avoiding a ski forum might be a good idea if you're wanting to avoid news about skiing.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Too much information in the title.

Should never reveal the result of a race in the title.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abc wrote:

THIS
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
abc wrote:

Winner was not revealed. Wasn't me BTW. wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hells Bells wrote:
Avoiding a ski forum might be a good idea if you're wanting to avoid news about skiing.

It's a common courtesy on most sports forums to not post results outside of the places where one would get results, having a thread titled like this in the Piste section is a massive spoiler. Svindal is obviously a favourite and now I and many others will know he crashes.

I'm an avid tennis fan for example and on the forum I frequent for tennis results of matches are not discussed outside of the results thread for at least 24 hours to give people a chance to catch up. It's not hard, not everyone has Murdoch TV.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I don't have Murdoch TV nor do I live in Hove, actually. wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A slightly better title could simply be "Ski disintegrated in Kitzbuhel downhill crash (spoiler)".

It's not too late to change the title. Some people might have recorded the race but haven't viewed it yet. Please allow them the thrill of seeing the crash in "real" without knowing it in advance.

(I don't watch racing, but I understand where the sentiment comes from)

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 23-01-16 23:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
irie wrote:
I don't have Murdoch TV nor do I live in Hove, actually. wink

But you are an unapologetic back bottom. Great. Thanks.

And WTF does where I live have anything to do with anything?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@irie, When I read your post I thought his ski disintegrated when he hit the netting, so I watched the slow motion on Eurosport. It actually disintegrated when it hit the snow before the netting. I suspect that at that point when the ski had failed that badly then the force on the bindings doesn't relate to the force on the ski, hence no release. I'm sure they'll look at it in fine detail but maybe just a freak accident?
ski holidays
Harsh words deleted

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 24-01-16 0:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
abc wrote:
A slightly better title could simply be "Ski disintegrated in Kitzbuhel downhill crash (spoiler)".

It's not too late to change the title. Some people might have recorded the race but haven't viewed it yet. Please allow them the thrill of seeing the crash in "real" without knowing it in advance.

(I don't watch racing, but I understand where the sentiment comes from)

Have changed the thread title, didn't know it could be changed after thread creation. Thanks.
latest report
geepee wrote:
@irie, When I read your post I thought his ski disintegrated when he hit the netting, so I watched the slow motion on Eurosport. It actually disintegrated when it hit the snow before the netting. I suspect that at that point when the ski had failed that badly then the force on the bindings doesn't relate to the force on the ski, hence no release. I'm sure they'll look at it in fine detail but maybe just a freak accident?

Yes, the ski appears to have delaminated so easily that there wasn't enough force on the binding to release his boot. Scary.
snow report
Could the ski be defective and caused the crash?
ski holidays
abc wrote:

No, the ski only disintegrated after he crashed at the same point that two other racers had the same problem. They did stop the race after 30 racers had gone because of safety.
latest report
abc wrote:

Both Streitberger and Reichelt crashed at exactly the same place so unlikely but anyone's guess of course. Svindal is out for the rest of the season because he has ruptured a cruciate ligament and damaged a meniscus in his right knee - whether that damage was caused by the ski not coming off is also anyone's guess.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 24-01-16 0:30; edited 2 times in total
snow report
abc wrote:

No, the ski only disintegrated after he crashed at the same point that two other racers had the same problem. They did stop the race after 30 racers had gone because of safety.
snow report
Someone posted a pic of the course yesterday. Looked icier than normal.

Streitberger leant back too far on a steepy. Reichelt looked tired on a bumpy. Svindal needs to take his skis back to the rental store.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:

Streitberger leant back too far on a steepy. Reichelt looked tired on a bumpy. Svindal needs to take his skis back to the rental store.

Probably only get a refund on half his deposit. wink
snow conditions
irie wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Some chance of that. He'll probably get a bill for about €1000.
ski holidays
@musher, Laughing
ski holidays
musher wrote:
irie wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Some chance of that. He'll probably get a bill for about €1000.

I think he has more worries than the 1000eur bill!

Quote:
Svindal and Georg Streitberger of Austria both needed knee surgery and were ruled out for the season after they were thrown off the bumpy Hausbergkante and landed in the safety netting as the cloudy weather made for flat light on parts of the course.

Former Streif winner Hannes Reichelt also crashed in the same spot but the Austrian escaped with a bruised bone in his left knee.

This will likely add to svindal's fear of jumps when he gets back next season. He already openly admitted he is no big fan of ski jumps and tones things down when hitting the big ones. This follows from his 2007 crash on the birds of prey where he was hospitalised for several months.
snow report
@Minion1980, get a grip of yourself!!

By the way both sharapova and serena won their matches and meet in the next round Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jirac18 wrote:
@Minion1980, get a grip of yourself!!

By the way both sharapova and serena won their matches and meet in the next round Toofy Grin

A battle between two screamers, yuk! Neutral

(I don't mind women screaming, but there is a time and place. wink )
snow conditions
@Whitegold, said..
Quote:

Looked icier than normal.

That's strange, I thought you said (on numerous posts) that "the Alps are melting"
rolling eyes
snow conditions
@Minion1980, get a grip.

Who cares?
snow report
An icy race course is entirely compatible with the fact that the Alps are melting, @geoffers.
snow conditions
If my life depended on not knowing the result of a ski race then the last thing I would do would be to surf a ski forum.
ski holidays
Can I suggest we close snow heads forum down until the summer as ski related threads may cause offence to @Minion1980, and why should he/she be disadvantaged in the interests of thousands of others Puzzled
latest report
Already spoiled by the heading? :/
snow report
It seems his ACL injury was on the opposite leg to the delaminating ski:

https://www.wildsnow.com/15123/tech-binding-release-testing-acl-broken-leg/
latest report
Is it the ACL he did kicking a ball about after training last season. Wild speculation, but it wouldn't surprise me if he decides to call it a day. 2 ACL injuries in 18 months isn't great, although Imsuppose he did recover very well from the last one.

As for it being a ski/binding fault, I'm not sure I remeber seeing Streitberger or Reichelt's skis releasing when they crashed at the same point either.
ski holidays
@hammerite, I thought it was his achilles tendon that he did kicking a ball about. Might be wrong there though.
Quote:
Streitberger leant back too far on a steepy. Reichelt looked tired on a bumpy. Svindal needs to take his skis back to the rental store
Oh dear...
As far as the race is concerned: The problems were caused by flat light. All three of them (Streitberger, Reichelt and Svindal) were essentially skiing blind and hit a compression without preparing for it. The conditions were so hard that the decision was taken to stop the race after 30 racers had gone down. According to Hannes Trinkl mainly because they did not want to take responsibility for sending the less experienced racers down that course... which says a lot. Peter Schröcksnadel, the head of the ÖSV (Austrian Ski Association), tried to get the race stopped earlier because it was simply too dangerous. Nuff said.
snow report
@Steilhang, you are completely correct, it was his achilles. Embarassed

They're still two fairly hefty injuries to recover from in a short period. Although he's still clearly top of the tree so will no doubt keep this in mind when considering what he'll do.
snow report
Ski Sunday still managing to deliver the goods.
I was in tears with the tension and emotion. I was living it.
The Streif is a brutal and unforgiving environment and these were serious injuries. To the top DH racers in the world. Season ending rather than career or life ending, thank goodness.
These guys are hitting 90mph and making tight turns. Their skis are bouncing and massively vibrating.
The faster they go, the forces increase by the square of velocity.
Any winner at Kitzbuhel has put himself on the Skiing Greats list.
It looks fearsome even on the telly.
It's one of the world's most fearsome sports. All the modern slopestyle and skier cross, pipe and park are awesome. But it's absolutely nothing compared to DH on the Hahnnenkamm.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy