Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ESF Competition Bronze star and other non-standard lessons for kids

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After much deliberation and then searching I've relocated our annual family trip to higher altitude. Now at a much bigger resort ESF appear to offer a more varied selection of group lessons for kids.

I'm particularly interested in knowing if anyone has any experience of the bronze and gold star competition courses vs the standard bronze and gold star courses?

Also the Mini Champion vs the standard lessons.

I'll be giving them a call anyway but thought I would also ask at the font of all knowledge that is Snowheads! Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you're looking at 'non-standard' lessons, you could also broaden your search to other schools as well. For instance, a couple of years ago my son enjoyed his 'free ride' lessons with Jardin des Enfants in Avoriaz - so much so that he (well, we paid!) extended the last few half days into full days. If it's a bigger resort, there'll probably be more variety of schools. Perhaps say which area you're going to and people might have specific suggestions.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ta. We'll be in Les Menuires. The sole option where we were previously for 3 years was ESF, being a small and very predominantly French resort.

My wife would like to fill their ESF carnet to the end I think plus they love their collection of medals, and the ESF have done a great job teaching them. However, if anyone has recommendations then I'm all ears.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry to hear you had to move resort in the end but it is probably for the best this season and I'm sure the vast Three Valleys or even Belleville will give you new horizons.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I know they get a bad press on here but we generally get good reports from people who hire our apartment about ESF in Val Thorens. Probably depends a bit on the instructor you. Our kids used to love collecting their badges and certificates as well.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@davidof Options were dwindling fast and the forecast wasn't getting any cooler or snowier so I had to make a decision. It will now dump snow on the Vercors in the first week of Feb!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Are you sure that the competition courses are star (Etoile) rather than Fleche? It may be that they are just badging the Bronze/Gold Etoile classes as a "competition" level because both awards require completion of a GS, but only the Gold Star has a time target.

Our local ESF (Argentiere) does not run full competition classes until you already have your gold star. So our Bronze competition class is Bronze Fleche, some way above Gold Star.

Our experience of the competition class this year was very good. They received the top instructors, and the standard of kids and instruction was very good with a fair few local kids involved. The skiing was very varied - lots of off piste and bumps, not exclusively (or even slightly!) gate-focussed. The kids were expected to be totally self sufficient and also good citizens e.g. to stop and help any other random skiers who have fallen.

We thought it was excellent, and very good value. 4-6 kids per class even in peak season grouped by ability (1 easier class, 2 harder one) and then by language (the harder classes were split English vs French). I think it was €350/week for 6 days of 7hrs each. My son enjoyed it and was much more tired than normal; they skied them hard (6-10k vertical/day) on tough terrain.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great feedback, thanks @snowdave. They appear to run 2/3 levels. One towards the bronze or gold star and the other beyond the gold star - http://www.esf-lesmenuires.com/les-menuires/children/competition

It reads as if they do aim towards timed runs/skiercross as well as the bronze or gold star. My guess is that it's an introduction to competition? From your comments it sounds really good.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh and the extra 130 euros tells me it's definitely (hopefully) something more than the standard bronze class!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looking at that link isn't the extra E130 because its a full day rather than half day? Although it doesn't appear to include lunch.

My reading of that site is that they either run half days or, during school holidays, they run a different set of lessons entirely which all seem to be about E302/day. It's not the clearest website!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just to confirm the ESF Junior Alpine ski levels ,

Poui Poui ,
Ourson ,
Flocon,
1 Star
2 Star
3 Star
Bronze
Gold

Then Competition class when you race against an instructor , the badges are awarded depending on your time compared as a % of the instructor in a GS race , in order - no badge , Flechette , Bronze , Silver , Platinum then Gold .

The instructor has to be currently racing competitively , or does in Ste Foy , in my experience they don't hold back .
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's not exactly clear, is it?! Phone call tomorrow and then I'll enlighten everyone!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Rob Mackley wrote:

The instructor has to be currently racing competitively , or does in Ste Foy , in my experience they don't hold back .

They do, because your time has to be comparable from ESF to ESF, resort to resort. They normally have people who specialize in opening courses.

Pete Garwood, Charlotte and David explain it quite well. Note Charlotte's points about resorts taking it more or less seriously.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 24-01-16 20:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My understanding is that the instructors who are "openers" receive a few percent more each year (or, put another way, pay a few percent less of their earnings to ESF) in exchange for opening races. All these instructors have to enter a big race once every ?2yrs? to calculate their handicap vs the world champion.
As a result, a reference 'world champion' time for each race is established and all participants are ranked by their percentage over this. They don't hold back because it's a bit embarrassing to be beaten by one of the local 12 yr olds. There's lots of info about this on the clubesf website.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy