Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bloody Go Pro on a ski pole!!

Poster: A snowHead
Nearly was speared today with a t**t holding her ski pole out with camera attached in the middle, totally unaware of any other skier around!! Cramps well rehearsed saying came in very handy rolling eyes stupide etron gras!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ahh a di@k with a stick.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very Happy yep!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I find that if it's in the way then giving it a sharp pull when you ski past often has the desired effect!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@dsoutar, harsh but fair.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just before we break out into moral outrage, they were overtaking you, right?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Laughing

It's worse than : I saw several skiers who had TWO of those stick things. Only, and this is really important, instead of $400 cameras on the end of them, they had.. SPIKES.

Imagine that, riding down a slope with two spikes! Those could easily penetrate a standard helmet or take out the eye of a drunken celebrity.
It must be safer to stay at home.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@philwig, its why I retreated into my prepper bunker some time ago, and it appears I was right to do so.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@dsoutar, as the uphill skier it is your responsibility to stay out of the way of the downhill skier, no matter what they are doing or holding, so when you ski past you should make sure that you give yourself and them enough room for you to pass safely. There is no such thing as in the way

That is the point of @Richard_Sideways post.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
But was she wearing a helmet?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Orange200 wrote:
But was she wearing a helmet?
With twin gopro mounts?

As an aside, I noticed that the airline check-in desks were smothered in "No Selfie Stick in hand luggage" stickers. Someones obviously got paranoid about passengers using them like those collapsible police batons or something...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
S**t, that reminds me, I still haven't replaced the basket on my pole and I'm off for ten days next weekend... S**t...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nothing worse than punters in a bubble of their own trying to film each other shuffling down a piste...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@lordf, Really? Now I feel guilty for filming the kids doing 'Furious Snowplow" down that green run... Didn't realise that it was causing you that much trouble to pick your way around mobile roadblocks like that... Must be really tricky overtaking 4 and 6 year olds cleanly.

I suggest carving aggressively between them at high speed - that seemed to be the way quite a few people did it in AdH the other week, that worked when you can clearly see that someone is acting as sweeper for a group of kids/beginners, and ABSOLUTELY NOBODY will think you're a bit of a cock for doing it.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 21-01-16 11:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I saw Lala, Po and Tinky Winky skiing at Christmas. Must be a very small Tinky Winky to go around looking like that.
latest report
@Richard_Sideways, I have heard that such behaviour is compulsory on AdH green runs....
snow report
philwig wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Laughing

It's worse than : I saw several skiers who had TWO of those stick things. Only, and this is really important, instead of $400 cameras on the end of them, they had.. SPIKES.

Imagine that, riding down a slope with two spikes! Those could easily penetrate a standard helmet or take out the eye of a drunken celebrity.
It must be safer to stay at home.

Well if people all skied with their poles held up in front of them with the spiky bit held out at eye level I probably would just stay at home! But luckily the spiky sticks are usually pointed toward the ground. It's a bit like carrying a gun, how dangerous it is depends entirely on where the front is pointing.
snow conditions
Is there anything worse than being behind some keen racer type who is dialling for Mars?

Yes.... yes there is...
ski holidays
Ah, from the famous "Guns don't kill people, Ski-poles do" campaign. Worried that they may misjudge an overtake while you're in a tight schuss tuck? Well, rest assured that French proctologists are renowned for having the smallest hands in the world.
ski holidays
Quote:
Is there anything worse than being behind some keen racer type who is dialling for Mars?

¿Qué?
ski holidays
I like to keep my distance from any slope user who refers to others as "punters", implying that they're not. Laughing
ski holidays
I became acutely more aware of the potential danger of spiky ski poles last year when our 5 year old started using them! There's definitely a good reason why they don't recommend using them earlier!
snow conditions
Quote:

¿Qué?

ET home phone

it's an open piste. you are more than welcome to photo/video bomb them.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
I like to keep my distance from any slope user who refers to others as "punters", implying that they're not. Laughing

this is on point
ski holidays
@ewanmalone, thought we'd established that the poles were on point...
ski holidays
pam w wrote:

Apart from the fact that one common meaning of "punter" is not suitable for explanation in a family-friendly forum.
ski holidays
@dogwatch,Dialling For Mars
ski holidays
dogwatch wrote:
.. Apart from the fact that one common meaning of "punter" is not suitable for explanation in a family-friendly forum.
Nonsense: it's clear what the word is being used for here.

If you personally happen to know the ruder meaning, and can't help yourself but to confuse that with the obvious meaning, then perhaps therapy (and I don't mean the band, that would be Therapy) would help?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, at what point do the punters become the punted? Wink
snow report
flangesax wrote:

This cracked me up Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
nigelg wrote:
@dsoutar, as the uphill skier it is your responsibility to stay out of the way of the downhill skier, no matter what they are doing or holding, so when you ski past you should make sure that you give yourself and them enough room for you to pass safely. There is no such thing as in the way

That is the point of @Richard_Sideways post.

Oops

Note to one's self. Make sure to add tongue-in-cheek emoticon when posting tongue-in-check snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

Ahh a di@k with a stick.

@Jerby,

As you'll see the perpetrator was clearly labelled as holding HER ski-pole....

A dyke with a pike.
ski holidays
@dsoutar, sorry, my bad.

There are a lot of people who think that it is OK to go past fast and close.
Glad you are not one of them!
latest report
nigelg wrote:
... There are a lot of people who think that it is OK to go past fast and close.
Glad you are not one of them!

I don't think there's a rule against riding fast, especially on "expert" runs. What one person considers close may be different from another I suppose. But I don't think that's quantified in any rules.

You can always expect to be overtaken by faster people. Personally, I won't hit you, but it's my responsibility to avoid you, according to those rules people here love so much. Hence I'll judge from your demeanour how much space I have to give you. If you're waving a pole about, I'll probably avoid it.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:

yeah, its such a derogatory term used mainly by people who ski less than a couple of weeks a years.

oh and seasonaires trying to set themselves apart.

If you weren't born in resort, your just on an extended holiday.....
ski holidays
hotchy wrote:
flangesax wrote:

This cracked me up Laughing Laughing

Pmsl me too Happy
snow report
Quote:

With apologies to Feldman and Law...

Local: I look down on him because I am a local.
Seasonairre: I look up to him because he is Local; but I look down on him because he is a punter. I am a seasonairre.
Punter: I know my place. I look up to them both. But I don't look up to him (seasonairre) as much as I look up to him (local), because he can speak French.
Local: I can speak French, but I have no money. So sometimes I look up (bends knees, does so) to him (seasonairre).
Seasonairre: I still look up to him because although I have money, I know I'll never be as good a skier as him. But I am not as awful as him so I still look down on him.
Punter: I know my place. I look up to them both; but while I am rubbish, I am trying my best, having fun and pay for them both to live this lifestyle. Had I the inclination, I could look down on them both as I know I don't have to scrub the lav after Tartiflette tonight. But I don't.
Seasonairre: We all know our place, but what do we get out of it?
Local: I get a feeling of superiority over them.
Seasonairre: I get a feeling of inferiority from him, but a feeling of superiority over him.
Punter: I get a pain in the back of my neck.
snow conditions
@Richard_Sideways, pmsl
latest report
eddiethebus wrote:
pam w wrote:

yeah, its such a derogatory term used mainly by people who ski less than a couple of weeks a years.

oh and seasonaires trying to set themselves apart.

I find its a very valid term for people how don't know how to behave well on the slopes, I never used until the proliferation of Go-Pros on sticks started hi-lighting how little situational awareness they have. Once you've seen someone ski into the side of a restaurant as they were too busy filming their pals I feel it becomes the appropriate term.
snow report
Speaking as one, there is no species quite as bad as the ex-seasonaire. A sense of massive superiority over the regular punters in the chalet (especially in the resort you seasoned in) and a sense of, frankly unwarranted, kinship with the staff, mixed with the superiority of having already survived their "ordeal".

"In my season...."

Sometimes I hear myself and think "wow, you really are sounding like a bellend here...." Can't seem to stop it though!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy