Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weather update

Poster: A snowHead
Yep, more here than Snowforecast predicted, very useful covering and it's still coming down steadily. Snowplough been up a couple of hours ago and road already covered again, but not been out in my slippers to measure depth!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
update 08.13 12 cm have fallen and it is still coming
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yeah just been looking at the saisies web cams, looking lovely!!!! lets hope that high doesnt walk straight back in again though as its looking like doing.....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fragglerock, Les Houches? Didn't realise you're there. Have some good friends in the village, as well as at the BSA (British Ski Academy)...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's snowing quite hard now, and blowing. Been a fair bit falling steadily all day, had to put chains on top of snow tyres this morning (on and off twice!) but grinning all over my face. Heard a forecast on the car radio en route home from Chambery airport forecasting 30 - 50cm for the Aravis - La Clusaz should be looking good.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
All To all of you who were enjoying skiing on 3 week old hardpack Wink , I'm afraid to say this new snow is all my fault snowHead snowHead . It always snows in the week before I come skiing, and clears up just for my arrival....and I'm flying out to Chamonix tomorrow evening, so clear skies should break out Thurs a.m.. I just hope the avalanche risk isn't too high.

Little Angel Little Angel
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Continuing GrahamN's, thoughts, I would like to take the blame for the fantastic conditions that will no doubt occur in Les Arcs from the 28th of Jan onwards as it always snows in resort on the day that I leave snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowing like hell in Montalbert and has been last 24 hours
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
any news of snow in Val Thorens?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
update 22.15 the weather has warmed and it is pouring wi rain
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
[b]obelix67[/bwhere in switzerland and what altitude are you at?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It has been generally warmer today - it is minus 2 at 1500m, here. Still snowing, though not very hard just now.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fair bit warmer today, down in BSM it was wet sleet for a good couple of hours this afternoon. Has snowed quite hard on and off all evening since... these taken just before midnight (French time), the first one on a fast exposure, the other one about a second's exposure, hence the streak effect (snowing very heavily)...

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PG, you are my hero!! thanks for the pics - really appreciated.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
weirdonorskie, yes - it's snowing at the moment and those who went out today (this doesn't include me due to excessive birthday celebrations last night) tell me that the snow conditions were fantastic - as long as you didn't want to see where you were going.
snow conditions
I am outside Lausanne @ 825m

The snow according to the radio should still be falling above 1000 m
snow report
Thanks Alastair

Will be out on feb 4th, so hoping for plenty of white stuff!
ski holidays
Looking at the loop here, I have seen worse.

By the way, PG. Stunning second picture. Time delay using a tripod? Whatever, it really captures the atmosphere.
ski holidays
the snow which fell last evening and overnight seems to have been a bit claggy (sorry, not proper technical term). local ski shop proprietor reported several nasty accidents at bottom of easy blue slope down to chairlift (1500m), including a broken leg. With it pisted tomorrow, should be a lot easier. He also noted that the avalanche risk would be very high.
ski holidays
pam w, yes it was rather warm, and the powder quickly turned to crud on piste lower down as the morning wore on in Les Arcs. Still, just off piste there was plenty of powder to be found without venturing anywhere dangerous (avalanche risk 4 all day). I skied down to 1200m late afternoon and it was a bit sticky, but skiing a bit aggressively it was great fun.
ski holidays
Just above Arc 1600, skiing through the forest from the top of the Mont Blanc lift today... click on the thumbnail for full-sized photo....

Really steep drop-off here - I chickened out and took another route wink
latest report
Quote:

Really steep drop-off here - I chickened out and took another route

How is your arm Puzzled are you fully fit again?
snow report
Just over 10 months now - still painful at times, mobility a bit restricted, but I know I should have done more rehab (hence comment to eevans elsewhere) so it's partly my own fault. Another problem is skiing with heavy camera gear - I get by off piste, but having a backpack weighing quite a few kgs, plus being aware of its value doesn't exactly help me to concentrate on skiing correctly. Confidence is coming back, but slowly...
latest report
But the pic's make the camera gear worth it, surely snowHead
ski holidays
PG - Just bought a helmetcam, delivered today. What do you think? Any use?
snow report
PS should have said we're off the La Plagne Saturday.
snow report
harryok525, think there have been a couple of snowHeads threads on these, but I haven't used one myself.
snow report
PG, your photos on MSS for today are gorgeous! Wish I could have been out there skiing - nbt certainly timed his week right!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar.org.uk, only had time to do the webcams, the blog takes a while, it will have to wait until tomorrow night now. Forecast looks good for the morning so I'll definitely be going up early. Breakfast in the Arpette at 9.30am!
ski holidays
PG wrote:
Breakfast in the Arpette at 9.30am!

Bet you'll be wearing your green jacket Wink
Hope you have a great day.
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk, Snow, Snow, Snow - Life's good - no mistake! Very Happy snowHead
snow report
After such a lovely dump of snow everywhere, the large rise in temperature today is a bit worrying. It's not forecast to last long, but is likely to de-stabilise the snowpack. I expect to see avalanches and reports of deaths at the end of this week. sorry - sad but true. Sad
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
PG wrote:
Breakfast in the Arpette at 9.30am!

Bet you'll be wearing your green jacket Wink
Hope you have a great day.

No off-piste for me today, knees a bit sore after yesterday's exertions! Finally got some new bindings on a pair of 155 slalom skis that a club racer was using last year so I'll try them out today.

Clear skies, still pretty cold down in the valley at least, so I hope the snow will hold up well...
latest report
155? I know skis kepp getting shorter - but wow. I ski on about 175 these days - and thought I was very modern.
snow conditions
Nick Zotov, I've got a pair of 155 skis (Head WC slalom) which are great fun if you ski them hard, carving as much of the time as possible. But I've found if you back off and skid more of your turns they can be almost uncontrollable, flapping around like a pair of ferrets in a sack. I've recently bought a pair of 165 slalom skis which are equally responsive if you ski them well, but a little bit better behaved than the Head skis when you skid turns. The Head skis will shortly be appearing on eBay.
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
After such a lovely dump of snow everywhere, the large rise in temperature today is a bit worrying. It's not forecast to last long, but is likely to de-stabilise the snowpack. I expect to see avalanches and reports of deaths at the end of this week. sorry - sad but true. Sad

I'm afraid your predictions have come true already (see Les Arcs avalanche thread in Piste). I was watching plenty of 'kids' mainly boarding, occasionally skiing, off some pretty steep drops all day. Not a care in the world. Not a few without even the most elementary of precautions (some setting off together, others obviously without any equipment at all...)
latest report
Bernese Oberland had a respectable dump on wed so DGO should be happy
snow report
Nick Zotov, I was given 160s in Austria (Fischer RX8s) and they were fantastic. I noticed the majority of people were on shorter skis. I could use them much easier than the 175s I had in previous hols.

I am totally converted and will definitely be ordering 160s in the future.
snow report
snow-forecast not showing any snow in the Cham area in the next 6 days, I guess the high is pretty dominant, is it going to break down according to the models?
ski holidays
Not that I am aware of, but the weather and snow are superb at the moment and with colder temperatures forecast, should stay good. It could be a whole lot worse!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy