Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weather update

brian
brian
Nothing doing European snow-wise before Tuesday the 17th. However, after that there is a great deal of uncertainty and things may break down a bit. So now is probably a good time to start snow dancing !
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AM in the quite strange predicament of actually not wanting it to snow until Wed next week! All our furniture is being shipped from UK to apartment arrving Tuesday pm. Thoughts of this lorry having nightmare getting up mountain road spring to mind. Then have to spend next few days building and sorting so if this expected wetaher front arrives I may be stuck indoors! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mouth, best of luck next week. Don't forget to make some time for yourself though.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Helen Beaumont, Thanks and yes I will. Important thing is to get place ready so can enjoy next 4 trips this season
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mouth, of course, we've booked our next one for the beginning of March. My immediate priority is sorting out the curtains before February though. Then I think we'll be back out at Easter or there abouts finances permitting.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry Mouth to say this, but I hope it dumps 10's of cm next week. My season has been very lacking in powder so far (1 day !! Last year I had 3 days of pow before the end of Nov) but as I'm off to Anton the week after it could all come good yet.

BTW I got a snow report from a friend who was in Serre Che today. Now bearing in mind is only likes riding off piste this was his txt "Sh*t on piste, sh*t off piste. sh*t." I'll be there for this weekend so I'll expand on the Monday wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Diarmuid, Silently I do too! And I hope it does - for your sake.. think of me while I help push the lorry up the hill!! Razz Razz
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Diarmuid, I'm afraid you'll probably be just ahead of the snow this time - just behind it earlier this season... Oh dear! Let's hope SAt Anton gives you lots. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
6 day forcast is now looking very good
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It would appear the french and Italian Alps are going to get a pasting...fingers crossed and feet are doing the snow dance Shock
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stu20vt, What about Switzerland??
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dunno Steve, was looking at the resort that I'm going to in Italy and where my mate is going in France...I guess Switzerland would be hit as it is (kind of) sandwich between France and Italy Puzzled
Anything could happen to the forecast though as it is still a few days away Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The different models do seem to be falling into line for some snow around 17th and 18th. GFS forecast is (currently) for approx 20cm for Savoie resorts.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep, we're calling it for Tuesday and Wednesday - looks best for the French Alps at the moment but it's really too early to tell. It needs to keep coming to really improve things... especially with the outbreak of the ominous phrase "variable conditions" (that'd be "pants" then) in the reports from the resorts... Sad ...we should get another update in time for breakfast!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
looks like the amount of snow has been backed off for the Cham area according to snow-forecast Sad
ski holidays
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The Met office map shows an occluded front touching the Alps 84 hours from now. More than that, the High seems to be slowly collapsing. Things are looking better Very Happy
ski holidays
I USUAlly get anything outside 48 hrs totally wrong BUT I would expect that there are 3 major LP systems coming though Europe in the 3-8 day timeframe. The second one (imho with most 'snow') will be 'Southern Alps' so great for those down there ( for 1st time this season?) ... however Western Alps may not see that much.

Suspect that is totally at odds with what the pros are suggesting but I 'guesstimate' based on marine forecasts !
latest report
eEvans, Serre Chevalier got plenty of snow over New Year weekend if you count that aas being Southern.
snow report
J2Dave, I notice j2ski.com have 49cm of snow forecast for Les Arcs between now and Thursday and 58cm in Avoriaz with further falls of 8cm and 14 cm respectively on Saturday.

Have to be honest and say that looks a little OTT to me and twice as much as our mutual friend snow-forecast.com - do you guys know something we dont? (fingers crossed you do snowHead snowHead )
latest report
Bungle, well I guess they only threw a 2 with their dice... and we threw a 4... wink ...it does sound a bit too good at the moment but that's what the numbers are telling us right now. Our feed will update in the morning so let's see...
ski holidays
Bungle, ...looks like we were playing catch-up this time... Sad ...this morning's feed is not quite so good (still should be enough to freshen up most resorts though more is needed).

New dice please!

Dave
snow conditions
Thanks J2Dave, as you say should still freshen things up but down to 20cm total and nothing on Saturday was what I feared may happen. Getting uncomfortable with so much crossed at the moment Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
Succesive runs from the GFS forecast have been getting more pessimistic as far as snowfalls go. The current run shows about 10cm of snow around the Savoie resorts, followed by a few days of warmer weather.
latest report
would anyone like to comment on the accuracy of this website? I hope it's o.k
because I can get my head round what it shows rather than anything else.
I figure if it's the US millitary, it will either be hopeless or spot on

http://131.54.120.150/wxcharts/wxcharts.htm

I'm off to Crans Montana on Wednesday night
As far as I can see from the chart looper it looks great, snow on tues & weds then
blue sky for the 3 days we are there Very Happy
ski holidays
wrongsideof30, not going with a bloke called Steve are you ?
snow report
Quote:

current run shows about 10cm of snow around the Savoie resorts

Interestingly Meteo Chamonix are predicting 10cm Tues and 20cm Weds, and they are usually accurate, verging on pessimistic.
ski holidays
Timberwolf wrote:
wrongsideof30, not going with a bloke called Steve are you ?

There are 8 of us going ( I only know 2 of them) the circular e-mail shows a guy
called Steve Berrington on the list... is that him?
ski holidays
That's the one, spooky............., I work with him !!!!

I'll tell him that I have have ( virtually ) met one of the group !!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
wrongsideof30, Problem is the high that starts to build up again at the end of that sequence - I think the temperatures could be rather warm.
snow report
As I jsut put on the other thread it has just started snowing at Lausanne - I hope it spreads snowHead
ski holidays
 brian
brian
wrongsideof30, those charts are based on the GFS output (mentioned by rob above), plus a bit of human involvement. They're pretty accurate, although the timing might not be spot on out at T+120.

Nick Zotov, I doubt it will get stupidly warm, clear skies and long nights will be cold at least. I would imagine there'll probably be daytime temperature inversions with milder upper air trapping cold air in the valleys. Great for those "above the clouds" views snowHead

A bit of freeze/thaw cycling can work wonders for snowpack consolidation as well.
snow report
obelix67, it started snowing at Arc 1950 between 12pm and 1pm and was still going at 2pm. I can't quite believe I am back to desperate webcam watching this year but the tree at the bottom slight left of the picture seems to have a reasonable amount of accumulation in the 2pm pic snowHead
snow conditions
brian, its the temperatures for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday that were worrying me a bit here.

If they are true, I can see the lower slopes getting a bit icy as the surface thaws by day, and freezes by night. Won't assist binding either, when new snow falls?

Oh well. What will be will be (I can remember Doris Day wink )
ski holidays
Bungle, it is lying in Lausanne at 400m Very Happy not thick yet but the forecast in this mornings local paper said snow until Thursday snowHead lets wait and see - drove uphill the lower cloud ceiling is around 1000m - there is another cloudbase around the 3000m dont see any snow coming from them yet Sad

update 16.40 1cm fresh lying at 825m
latest report
update 23.48 4 cm lying at 825m
snow report

Taken at 23:17 (UK time) - Bourg St Maurice. Looking good!
latest report
les houches has a couple of cm down and it is still snowing...it's my day off tomorrow!
snow report
PG wrote:
Taken at 23:17 (UK time) - Bourg St Maurice. Looking good!

Wonderful picture, PG.
latest report
keep it coming!!! Laughing great to see some falling at last
latest report
PG, Your pix are stunning.

Fair bit of fresh this morning here and they've been blasting. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy