Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italy - Good Beginner resort plus lively town?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Myself and a mate are hitting northern Italy; my mate is brand spanking new beginner, I am early intermediate. I appreciate we have lots of choices of resort but its hard to pick out a good resort for beginners, good lift system plus some decent pubs to go to in the evening. We are both 40+ so not looking for a rave in the evenings. We will most likely be there mid-week.

Don't mind driving a reasonable distance, ideally under 2.5 hours.

We are in Italy as we are first taking in a football game.

Any suggestions welcome please.

Thanks
B.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Livigno is very good for beginners and intermediates, and as it is a duty free area (for historical reasons) there are plenty of bars serving drinks at reasonable prices. Madeye-Smiley One usual downside is that as it is quite remote the transfers from airports are quite long (up to 5 hours coach transfer from Bergamo with a half hour stop midway!) but since you have your own transport and depending where you are starting from it could be a lot shorter than that.

Another suggestion is one of the Alta Badia resorts in the Italian Dolomites i.e Colfosco, Corvara or San Cassiano. Colfosco in particular has a long wide piste ideal for for your new beginner and has a nice side valley called the Edelweisstal with a couple of reds and one short black. Colfosco (like Corvara) is also directly on the Sella Ronda circuit, so you at least could get part way round the circuit in the anticlockwise direction to visit Selva and the Val Gardena valley, and check out the SassLong Men's World Cup Downhill course there with its famous "Camel bumps" (there is an alternative red piste to that part of the SassLong if you don't fancy the actual black Downhill course! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For beginners, Seiseralm, Dolomites is ideal. Loads of piste side hotels, and alternating green and blue runs, plus easy access from the highway, pretty fast and straightforward driving. Don't know about night life, not my specialty. Or Ortesei - both give you access to the super dolomites area.

You didn't say from which Italian town you are coming from, which makes a difference on transfers though
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Livigno is high, great for beginners and, being duty free, has quite a lively atmosphere.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 for Livigno

I have been there more than 25 times and it's great. Very high and snow sure as well.

Ouch!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@banchini,
Quote:

When and where is your football game? Italian alps are quite big and some areas are closer to some Cities than others. Also resorts good in Feb may be less good end of March.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Passo Tonale - great for beginners & early intermediates, cheap & about 2 hours drive from Milan. Some pretty lively bars including one of those Austrian style umbrella bars right by the slopes.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have a look at Ski-2 website for Champoluc. It's about 2 hours from Milan, nice town with some decent bars and Ski-2 have their own ski school with really excellent British instructors.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
T Bar wrote:
@banchini,
Quote:

When and where is your football game? Italian alps are quite big and some areas are closer to some Cities than others. Also resorts good in Feb may be less good end of March.

Hi T Bar - we are in Milan for the derby, so hoping to start Sking the next day Monday....
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Milan to Livigno is about 4 hours drive but would be great for your requirements.
I'd go to Sauze d'Olux if I was you. Slopes are handy enough and its within 2 1/2 hours drive. Towns good fun too.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cervinia is a decent place to ski for beginners. There are a few bars that can get lively and a good enough range of restaurants.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Maybe Madesimo (perhaps even staying by Lake Como and driving over each day) or Pila (from Aosta).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@banchini,
Quote:

Hi T Bar - we are in Milan for the derby, so hoping to start Sking the next day Monday....

Mmm fairly soon ,

The Aosta valley seems to have the best snow currently in Italy, some of the other resorts suggested such as Sauze d'oulx which may otherwise fit the bill don't appear to have much snow.
Of those suggested so far Cervinia Champoluc and Pila are all in the Aosta valley I have stayed in none of them but they may well be good. La Thuile where I have skied would probably suit you from a skiing point of view but is one of the deadest places I have been to for night life. Courmayeur is quite a fun place with good skiing and pleasant pubs and an attractive town.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would second Cervinia; nice slopes for beginners but also great terrain for intermediates and a large ski area, travel over the top to Zermatt in Switzerland or Valtournenche, next door village to Cervinia. The town isn't humming but nice bars and restaurants. It's got the best snow conditions in Italy at the moment, but when the wind is blowing it can close the resort as there are no trees. I was there last year with bright blue skies but no skiing due to high winds - very frustrating!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Its a nightmare, we go out this Saturday/Sunday to Milan plan was to hit the slopes on Monday for 3/4 days...been looking at Passo Tonale (PT) and nearby resorts, its hard to get a "real" handle on what the state of play is snow wise, the hotels I am emailing seem to economical with truth, some of the webcams don't look particularly appealing, base level looks dry, other parts look patchy.... its seems PT has good snow making so maybe that explains why all the lifts/runs are open....

I like the idea of Cervinia but the weather wind issue does worry me, from what I can glean though Cervinia seems like it has a few decent bars and I like the idea of seeing glacier and the matterhorn and possible Zermatt.... I guess if its closed, you are not too far from Champoluc, Pila and Valtournenche....

I was looking at Sauze d'Olux, but again from what I am gleaning from the web, its not great down there snow wise....

tough call....

should have went to Washington... ! Happy
ski holidays
banchini simple. Drive up to the Dolomites
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy