Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Childrens - Kids - Ski glove recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking to get some ski gloves or mittens for my kids. I would appreciate recommendations from parents (or other knowledgeable snowheads) on which gloves I should buy.

1 x 7 year old who is skiing blues and some reds. Uses poles.
1 x 5 year old who will be starting to ski this year.

Previously used Barts mittens for both, but my 7 year old struggles to get second mitten on sometimes. Thinking gloves may be better for when is having lessons and M&D are not there to assist.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Our kids (6 & Cool both have a couple of pairs of wed'ze mitts:

http://www.wedze.co.uk/wedze-first-heat-childrens-ski-mittens-black-id_8284509

They're cheap, effective and have a little elastic lanyard to loop round their wrists. They don't seem to have any problems getting the 2nd mitt on.

The oldest also has (had) a pair of nice red Hestras which we picked up 2nd hand for a tenner but he chewed through the leather on one of the forefingers as it "tasted nice" - last time we will "invest" in premium ski gear for the little bu**ers until they can look after it!

Edit - That smiley's meant to be an 8 followed by a ) but i'll leave it as an accidental smiley as I quite like it!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Buy the warmest you can find/afford. It doesn't matter what brand as long as they are warm Very Happy

Kids normally have warm jackets/pants but their gloves are normally naff and this leads to lots of tears.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@stewart woodward, That is why I am trying to find a decent option (without breaking the bank). I want my kids to love skiing and not dread hitting the slopes.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Buy a job lot of little hotties hand warmers from amazon for about £17 for 40 pairs. In my experience they need silk liners (mainly to keep the hand warmer from direct skin contact) + mitts + warmers which together are the only way to keep their hands warm when its below -10C. Unfortunately the surface area to volume ratio of kids hands is just too unfavourable no matter how good the mitts.

Its also worth training them not to hold the metal bar on chairlifts (albeit this can be unavoidable on drags!) nor should they hold their poles by the metal.

Edited to add - gloves are a PITA as well as being less warm. Sooner or later they will detach the liner from the outer, and they often can't reconstruct them on their own...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not sure the biggest issue is warmth but rather how waterproof they are and how well they seal of the wrist. And unfortunately that is a bit trial and error. We've had all sorts of hand-me-down's and purchased. And they've varied massively. You need two or three pairs per child anyway for snowplay, skiing. We got a job lot of Surfanic's recently. They are fairly cheap and the missus didn't think they would be up to much. But they seemed to do a good job. If they stay reasonably dry then IME warmth is usually OK. Though yeah teaching the kids to keep fidgeting their fingers and not holding cold metal helps.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes get at least two pairs per pax.

We have a nine year old on gloves and a five year old on mittens. Given experience with getting gloves on the 5 year old in ideal conditions, the ease of mittens on the slopes are essential. Dont want to be playing find the finger when u needed to be at ski school five minutes ago.

Ours r both in Spyder for the primary gloves and a cheapo for secondary. Never complained about the cold in Spyder and they dont have to be expensive - 5 yr olds purple mitten with the spider highlighted in sparky studs were only £10 from TKMaxx last week. (They might have a few left - size L was good for her).

Also make sure u get leashes/tethers that stop them from falling on the ground when they take them off.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have no kids that size at the moment, but the decathlon Wedze gloves in general seem to give a lot of warmth and function for the price. Get 2 pairs each and swap/ dry as required.

Holding a hot chocolate in both hands helps too Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jma wrote:
Our kids (6 & Cool both have a couple of pairs of wed'ze mitts:

http://www.wedze.co.uk/wedze-first-heat-childrens-ski-mittens-black-id_8284509

They're cheap, effective and have a little elastic lanyard to loop round their wrists. They don't seem to have any problems getting the 2nd mitt on.

The oldest also has (had) a pair of nice red Hestras which we picked up 2nd hand for a tenner but he chewed through the leather on one of the forefingers as it "tasted nice" - last time we will "invest" in premium ski gear for the little bu**ers until they can look after it!

Edit - That smiley's meant to be an 8 followed by a ) but i'll leave it as an accidental smiley as I quite like it!

+1 to the Wed'ze gloves. I took my girls over to Decathlon to try and find pairs which fit them comfortably and they tried on loads. These were the only ones which they find the right shape. If have one near you I would recommend going along there is nothing worse than gloves that don't fit your child comfortably.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I go with @stewart woodward, on the warm ones and as Hestra is a bit expensive I can not recommend it even though I would like to. Sad

And it seem they have a new good thing - they taste good. Toofy Grin

They keep and can be used for the next child or be sold second hand. Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My 8 year old has the dexterity of an elephant and still struggles with mitts or gloves. He has a pair of Leki Gore Tex Race Mitts that I think are crap as they seem to get wet easily. He loves them because of what they are rather than how warm they keep his hands. As they were expensive I bought some Hestra Handcuffs from Edge & Wax for about £2 that I've attached to them. However, when we were at Cairngorm on Saturday he walked out of the Club Hut with them hanging from his sleeves but as he walked through the powder they scooped up a good deal of snow. He insisted on putting them on despite my advise not to but a few minutes later he declared his hands were numb so we reverted to an old pair of mitts I stuck in my bag. These were the best gloves he has owned: Tog24 Gore Tex. They are a bit too small for him but he can just about get them on with help. Sadly they seem to have discontinued those otherwise I'd buy more.

I managed to pick up a couple of pairs Hestar Heliski Junior Lobster Mitts at the end of last season. They give the benefits of mitts with the added dexterity of having a finger free. They are hard to find and there doesn't appear to be many other companies who offer lobster mitts.

My suggestion is to stick with mitts. Buy the best you can find because as @Stewart Woodward says once kids hands get cold it is game over.

When I've been teaching on the dry slope it never fails to amaze me when I see kids rock up with nice warm ski gear on but a stupid pair of thin woollen gloves that provide neither heat nor protection. Parents seem happy to splash out a bit on jackets and pants but skimp on gloves.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Mike-H, I have 2 pairs of pink Hestra gloves ( I have girls ) they wore last year , they are 7 and 9, and the gloves were a snug fit. £20 +PP? If you want them?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy