Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone got a Pieps Jetforce?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone got a Pieps Jetforce? Which model pack? What do you think to them? Would you get again over canister activated ABS? What prompted you to go Jetforce and why Pieps rather than black diamond? What do you think to the Pieps pack itself?

For anyone who doesn't know what they are - http://www.pieps.com/en/cat/pieps-jetforce

They are a version of the Black Diamond JetForce - http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/jetforce-airbag
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have both the ABS Vario and Pieps Jetforce, so can pass comment on both systems. A bit long winded, but no point in writing "Its good".

I have a Pieps Jetforce Tour 24 in red. I got it last November pre season for £624. Since there has been a major recall, I checked with the recall site, and they confirmed that it had the firmware update applied. I picked Pieps over Black Diamond for the appearance, and because Pieps have better compression straps.

Out of the box it reached full charge in about 3 hours, and inflated the first time I tried it. I have now test fired it 4 times without issue. Repacking is much quicker/easier the ABS (which I have had for 5 years).

The repacking is a simple stuff the sack back in, with the only vaguely tricky bit, being the clips that hold the flap shut. However, it is also critical that the zipper part of the zip is moved to the end stop. This is because the inflation process relies on the inflation bursting open the zip part, and if the zipper was holding the zip closed it would not work correctly.

After first inflation the Pieps still showed 4 out of 4 charge lights (after 4 it still had 2 lights, but this was indoors). It is heavier than the ABS Vario but not by much (with the same sized sack), the quality of the straps/belt seem to be the same. The actual backpack is better than the ABS original ones, but about the same the Dakine zip-ons that I use.

The avi tool pocket is one of the best I have used, as it swallows a full size Black Diamond Evac 7 shovel, 320 Probe, and G3 Bone Saw without any issue. The top goggle pocket seems ok, and takes large goggles easily. However, the main compartment, which is accessed from the front, is reduced in size by the fan/bag etc, making it relatively small. There is no provision for a bladder system or tube, but I will probably rig my own version. The 24 litres of the name is pure fiction, but that is common to most backpacks. If you were going on a day tour, you would have be a Tetris expert to fit everything in, particularly if you have wide skins for fat skis.

For me one of the main Jetforce benefits is the testing aspect, not while out in the snow, but when preparing for a trip. At the moment most will test their airbag once at the beginning of the season, as recommended, and then go for the rest of the season hoping it will work. I know some users who have never test fired their ABS, which seems pretty pointless.

I primarily bought the Jetforce to avoid any airline hassle when flying internally in Japan, as it does not need to be declared at all. The battery rating is well within the IATA regulations.

I also have a ABS Vario from 2010. The biggest advantage for me is the swap-able sacks, so you can have anything from 8ltr to 40ltr plus. The extra sacks are also pretty light, so you can take more than one with you on holiday, and change them as required. I typically take a 15ltr for freeriding or heli-skiing and a 40ltr for touring. I also have a 25ltr, but that does really fit either requirement. Like the Pieps the actual size is way below the quoted size.

I use Dakine Vario Cover zip on sacks, which are very good quality, if not that light. The other advantage is that the Dakine Vario can be bought with a non-airbag back, so they can be worn as a normal rucksack. I use the 40Ltr as my hand luggage with my ski boots in it. The 40ltr also allows A-Frame ski carry.

The ABS system requires very careful precise folding when packing otherwise it won’t inflate fully. All non-electric airbags rely on the venturi effect to cause full inflation (the cylinder only provides part of the full volume), so if anything obstructs the initial inflation phase the airbag will not fully inflate. I have had this happen when I tested my own bag after I folded the airbags incorrectly. You can practice with the Pieps for free, whereas each test with ABS costs £25-30 or more if posting.

In summary:

The perfect solution for me would be a Jetforce with zip on sacks. Arcteryx will be joining the Fan Airbag market next season, but again they will be fixed pack sizes.

Pieps Jetforce

Advantages – Ease of air travel, effectively free testing, simple repacking.
Disadvantages – Heavier, single fixed sack size, small internal volume

ABS Vario

Advantages – Swappable sacks, proven system
Disadvantages – Critical packing of airbag, cost of testing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Awesome write up, thanks.

Spoke to someone else I know who has a Black Diamond JetForce pack and his feelings mirrored yours + likes the idea of the bag automatically deflating after a few minutes to give you a pocket.

Thinks when someone brings one out with a cover bag system it will be unbeatable.

Did mention one con though - you get the wee wee taken out of you when you first turn on and the fan starts for a few seconds for a self check - "Don't hoover up all the pow"
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good point, I forget the deflation mode, which is big positve, as is the ability to keep a ripped airbag inflated to a decent level. It also has biggest airbag in the business, since it not limited by cylinder size.

I have not Heli-skied with the Pieps yet, but since airbags have to be deactivated for every flight, you would get multiple lots of friendly abuse for each start up. But then again the ABS is equally a faff, having to remove and refit the trigger handle before/after every flight. At least there is no risk of dropping anything with the Pieps, whereas whoever made the easily dropped ABS handle white needs as slap.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm looking at these as well - currently eyeing the Tour Rider 24. But I'm a bit confused on sizing - what's the difference with the S/M and M/L? They don't list off measurements on either the Pieps or BlackDiamond webpages.

And it seems that the Pieps Tour Riders are new for 2016? Does anyone know if there have been any improvements in the bag design vs last year's version (2014/2015)? I am aware that in mid-2015, Pieps did a recall to update the firmware.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@PowderAdict, do your recall what size tour rider you bought and how tall are you?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Wangta, I bought the S/M size because that was all that was available, and at the time I could not find any information regarding the difference between the S/M and M/L sizes. I'm 6ft tall (1.83m), and I'm right at the limit of the S/M. I would have bought the M/L if it had been available. However, it all depends on your torso length.

There now seems to be more information on the sizing available, but it is not consistent. Some say that the S/M and M/L are the same volume, others that the M/L is 2ltr larger. This appears to be the best description I can find.

Volume: 24 liters (S / M), 26 liter (M / L | Center back length: 41-48 cm (S / M), 47-55 cm (M / L)

With regards to the recall, if you want to check the one you have bought has been updated, you can contact their recall centre at serviceEU@jetforcerecall.com. Mine had a revised bar code stuck to the internal panel.

As far as I am aware there are not any differences for 2016:

Pieps Rider 10ltr
Pieps Tour Rider 24ltr
Pieps Tour Pro 34ltr
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Been hunting around to see if any dealers in UK where you can actually get to have a looksie - no luck so far though. Anyone know any?

Failing that might see if they will be at something like the ski/snowboard show in London later this year.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Ryan, SnowSafe in Hove/Brighton claim to have some of the Jetforce range in stock, if you are anywhere near the south coast

http://www.snowsafe.co.uk/jetforce-airbags.html
http://www.snowsafe.co.uk/contact_us.php
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@PowderAdict, nice write up
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@PowderAdict, Thanks for the response. Yeah, I've been trying to get information on the sizing as well and yes - there seems to be conflicting information! I actually took a look at a M/L Tour Rider 24 yesterday that was in stock at a local store, but they did not have any S/M in stock for comparison. Do you feel like it is too small for you or does it fit ok? I'm the exact same height as you. From a fit perspective, where, if anywhere, does it feel small? Guessing the waist belt might be high?

Also find it totally bizarre that it seems that no one in Europe hast he black/red Tour Rider in M/L - they only have that color in S/M. I'm not a huge fan of the yellow!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Wangta, I have the large ABS Vario (small up to 49cm and large from 46cm torso length). I just measured both backpacks, from the bottom of the waist strap (where is sits on your hips), to the connection point of the shoulder straps.

Pieps Tour Rider 24 S/M - 45cm
ABS Vario Large - 50cm

In terms of fit, they both sit well, and are comfortable, but of course the ABS straps exit the pack higher up my back. This has benefits when I use the 40ltr zip on which gets pretty heavy. But I don't think the lower strap position will be an issue on the lower volume Pieps. As mentioned, if the M/L is actually 2ltr larger than the S/M, and it had been available I would have gone with the M/L.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PowderAdict wrote:
At least there is no risk of dropping anything with the Pieps, whereas whoever made the easily dropped ABS handle white needs as slap.

I painted bands on mine with orange fluro paint.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@PowderAdict, Thank you sir. Geeze, we're talking about a 5 cm/2 inch difference? Any chance you have a picture of you wearing the tour rider? Curious how it looks. Thanks!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy