Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First snowboard - what to look for and advice?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey snowheads. So I am looking to get myself my first snowboard, and I'm completely clueless as to what to look for. I'm sure this subject has been covered before but couldn't seem to find any posts.

So I'm 5' 10, 80kg (84 usually..). I've had 2 weeks of boarding experience, thoroughly enjoyed going down the red runs in les deux alpes last year. I tried my hand at the snow park and loved that even more!

So I guess id like an all round board for riding the runs and spending some time in the park.

I'm heading to the snowheads bashes in January where ill be spending 3 weeks in Italy.

So.. That's all the info I can think of for now. Now where do I begin? Any help is greatly appreciated!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Unfortunately, there isn't a board that does everything perfectly, it's all about compromise. A few point to keep in mind though - A softer board will be more friendly but will be less controllable at higher speeds, same goes for boards with rocker. Camber is much better for proper carved turns but much more prone to punishing poor technique which would include less than perfect landings in the park.

So, some kind of hybrid is probably the way to go, there are lots of variations from different companies - some with camber between the feet and rocker towards the tips e.g. Capita DOA, Salomon Assassin, Villain and Craft, etc., some go for rocker in the centre of the board with camber under each foot e.g. Never Summer (most models), Burton Flying V models and lots of variations on this from Mervin (Lib Tech and Gnu). Then you have flat boards with various tip designs e.g. Capita Ultrafear, Burton Clash, quite a few K2 models.

The Good Ride website can be quite useful in looking what is available, maybe don't pay too much attention to their reviews but you can see what is available in certain sizes, widths (if you're UK size 8 or small - standard, 8-10 go mid-wide, 10+ wide roughly), camber profiles, flex, etc.

Are there any particular brands that appeal to you?

I'd go for something between 155 and 158ish depending on the specific board and your shoe size.

Hope this helps.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ChrisP3, thanks very much. Sound advice. I don't have a particular board in mind. Just wanted some prior knowledge before taking the plunge. There seem to be quite a few good condition ones on ebay. Although, is buying second hand advisable?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Personally, yes, you can get some decent bargains when people upgrade.
Also, have a look at the wanted/for sale area over on the Snowboardclub.co.uk forum area.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Personally, yes, you can get some decent bargains when people upgrade.
Also, have a look at the wanted/for sale area over on the Snowboardclub.co.uk forum area.

Agree, or look for new bargains from previous seasons. There also seem to be some good discounts around for this season's boards appearing.

Anything in particular that you're looking at?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Go for a good all rounder - I am a fairly new to the sport and recently got my first board after alot of research (I mean alot).

The K2 Raygun, it has a very good reputation as been a beginner friendly intimidate board, at a good price point. Pretty forgiving, the flat to rocker gives it a really forgiving ride without it feeling to loose on the turns , and will lets you try a bit of everything its pretty light as well. Cannot wait for the snow to turn up so I can give it a proper spin in january, as I have only taken it to the dome a few times at the moment.

Go read some reviews if you need more convincing - might still be a few knocking about from last season.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
More importantly, do you have your own boots? If so what model and size? If you have soft boots and a board thats too stiff you are liable to spend alot of time on ur ass! I would advise a new board as it will last you longer, but if you are on a budget go for last seasons model ( shoul get one about half price. Also bindings, depends on the boot and the footprint, but i would recommend union for durability. The model depends how soft/stiff you want it. Feel free to ask any questions, i am here to help!! Good luck and stay safe!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all for the help! There's a lot more to this than I'd thought..

@freeridechef, I have my own boots. Just purchased them last week. North wave freedom SL.

Tbh I'm more prone now to getting a new board from a shop. I'm able to get to London quite easily and there seems to be quote a few shops that I could check out if any boards are going for a reasonable price.

I'm looking at a budget of 250quid. That sound reasonable? I was thinking of maybe getting some bindings second hand just to save a few quid.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just a general question.. I'm worried I'm gonna end up buying a rubbish board for the little knowledge that I have about them. Just to put my worries at ease (hopefully) how wrong could it really go? I get the soft boots, stiff board is a bad combo so that's ok. what other things do I absolutely need to worry about?

Thanks again guys!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Go with a known brand, if you're not sure, maybe take a list with you or better still, have a look at what they have on their websites and go with a shortlist of boards. Absolute snow have a good range of boards that you could check out first on their website. Personally, I,d rather choose before I go rather than risk getting possibly dodgy advice.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ChrisP3, thanks. I've found a shop in my area with some good looking boards. I'm thinking I'm going to get a new board, but save some money by getting some second hand bindings.

There's one board in particular they do: Ride manic. I'm hearing good things bout Ride boards which is good.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would read a bit of the goodride.com, they have quite a few boards on there with reviews. Otherwise I have previously headed to Milton Keynes Snow dome or Hemel Hempstead as they allow you to demo the boards. I can't remember if they charge you a small fee or not but I found it useful, especially to rule out the boards I definitely did not get on with.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@gm4422, excellent. Should've thought of that sooner. Will have to try and squeeze in some time there asap! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@quentin, no problems and hope you find the board you love....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Like other people said, get good boots first.

After that, a true twin somewhere medium-soft flex. Definitely not going to recommend anything, as there are too many boards and you will find your own favourite. My first ever board was the Burton Process Flying V. Very forgiving and great to learn on for me. But again, there are some awesome boards out there. If I was buying my first board today again, I would probably give the Yes Basic a very close look.
snow conditions
Hi quentin,

When you're learning, there's no need to spend too much on a board. get a mid range all mountain board that comes up to around your mouth when its stood tall. Get standard camber. You dont even need to buy new. As for boots - make sure you try plenty of different brands so you can be sure you're buying the most comfortable pair of boots. Id say boots are as important as any of the hardware. Go for toe straps with your bindings. I really would worry about brands so much although resale value is increased for boards if you buy a Burton or a Lib Tech etc. Hope that helps. Dave
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy