Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Niseko, 22-31 Jan

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone!

I'm a level 2-3 snowboarder (on this scale: http://www.skinewgen.com/find-your-level/snowboard-levels/), and am staying 10 days in Niseko. If there are any snowheads out there who feel like grabbing a beer with a plank newb, let me know.

(Sadly, the skis are staying home this time because of bum knee).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not there but I am planning a trip to Niseko in 2017 so I just wanted to say have a great time Smile

Please report back when you return. Are you seeing any more of Japan on your trip or is it just Niseko you are visiting?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Minion, here's a quick summary that may be of help. If I had known this before going it definitely would have helped me.

When people say "Niseko", they generally mean the Niseko area. This has 5 resorts. The Niseko United area comprises Grand Hirafu, Niseko Annupuri, Niseko Village and Hanazono. All of these are connected, albeit as awkwardly as different ski systems usually are. They are connected as follows: Annupuri <-> Niseko Village <-> Grand Hirafu <-> Hanozono.

Grand Hirafu is by far the largest piste system and has the most lifts. If it's windy, cloudy or the visibility is too low otherwise, you can not ski between any systems besides Grand Hirafu and Hanozono.

There is also Moiwa, which is about 5 minutes by car from Annupuri, but it's not part of Niseko United, and to ski from Moiwa to Annupuri you have to be back country enabled (skill and preferably equipment wise).

All areas offer a few pistes (Hirafu has quite a few pistes), and A BRILLIANT LOT of side country options. Basically, each of the resorts has dedicated "back country gates", that take you off piste, but eventually get you back to the lifts.

Feel wise, Grand Hirafu is the most "european style" ski village. Restaurants, shops, party in the night. Expect lots of australians and scandis (at lest in my experience).

Communication between all 5 villages during the day is okay. There are free busses if you have a lift pass between all of them. If you live in Moiwa, your last bus back is around 4.45 from Grand Hirafu.

I stayed in Moiwa, in Lodge Moiwa 834, which is a capsule hotel. If you are travelling alone and want a clean, modern and on-slopes accommodation with great staff, I can strongly recommend it. It's not that cheap though, and there is no nightlife. If you want to go out, get some friends (or a group of people together if you are travelling alone) and go to Grand Hirafu. Taxi will be between 4-5000 yen, so if there's 4 of you it's okay, if you're doing it alone you better have some pretty deep pockets.

I traveled alone, and the Lodge Moiwa 834 was amazing for that. At least 10 other people were travelling alone during my time there, so I always had people to ride and hang out with if and when I wanted.

I bring all of my own gear, so cannot say to the quality of rentals, but from what I saw, both board and ski renters were riding up to date stuff, well suited for the environment. I saw all kinds of brands rented, from Slash Brainstorms (same board I ride on) to Jones', Burtons and everything in between. Ski wise the people I spoke to who rented all had gear that as far as I know was good.

The one thing that I would have done differently (and will do the next time) is to arrange more car/bus bound trips to other places near by. There are a couple of awesome places you can ski/board.

You can spend an easy 10 days just using lifts, but if you can skin, either on skis or on a split board, you have an amazing tableau of options with untracked, to die for, not too steep terrain. (All normal caveats about not being an idiot, using safety gear and not riding alone apply).

Getting there was super smooth. I flew in to Sapporo from Tokyo and then took a bus. I also recommend storing your snow gear at Tokyo station if you want to spend time in Japan exploring. I had my snowboard and gear stored there for 2 weeks while I travelled across Japan.

Any q's, just holla.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@DisconnectedAG, we've e been toying with the idea of going to niseko for the last couple of years but keep backing out and hitting the alps. One thing that put me off was the size of the ski area, given the distance you'd have to be there for at least 10 days but could you get bored? Does it get tracked out really quickly? And in your opinion is it worth the extra cost vs Europe?

Indecisive snowboarder Smile

Thanks!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Aviatork, the Niseko area itself is quite big. If you are the kind of people who ski everything once and are done with it, it may be a little small. However, each resort has tonnes of back country options.

If you do some research beforehand, there are also a fair number of optional resorts that you can arrange to go to on day trips, especially if you are prepared to get up early. However, a lot of that will only be awesome if you and your friends like to skin.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I would like to go to Japan next winter probably in late January or early February 2017.

Would anyone else be interested in going there to put together a small group?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@DisconnectedAG, thanks for the info!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@DisconnectedAG, thanks for the report it sounds like you had a great time! Thanks also for the information it is really useful, I too am planning on taking my snowboard and gear, did you store yours in a locker or did you use that service where they transport it and keep it for you?

So I know this is a skiing forum but I'll be interested to hear how you spent the two weeks travelling round Japan too such as places you visited, how you got around and where you stayed etc... Bravo on what sounds like an amazing trip Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy