Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courchevel to Meribel when the lifts close on you!

Poster: A snowHead
Getting there and not getting back was a real worry when we were there 2nd to the 9th; and we may be going back in Feb. Taxis are apparently: think of a number, double it and round to the nearest 100 euro! That would be a spoiler. Last year the Courchevel centre robbers wanted 40 euro each way up to the Cap Horn near the altiport, so I trust that the cost is accurate.

Can one get a bus from one to t'other?

Ta

CG
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There used to be a limited free bus service between Courchevel and Meribel, but it's not running this year.

You can take the Altibus down to Moutiers and another back up to Meribel - about 10 euro each way.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
To be honest the best advice is not to get caught out in the wrong valley. We always make our way back to the valley we started from when the weather closes in, the wind picks up or later in the day. Travelling between the 3v by road means dropping down to the valley floor (Moutiers) before catching a different bus back up to your resort. I think tHere used to be a bus between Meribel Village across to La Tania but not sure if that service still runs...
I don't catch a lot of buses around here so hopefully someone more knowledgeable may have more info.
Hitch hiking is popular and often effective!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If the road from La Tania to Meribel Village is still open (?), then minimise the taxi cost by taking the (free) Courchevel ski bus to La Tania, get a taxi from there to Meribel Village - only around 3km - then use the free Meribel ski-bus to wherever.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Make sure the Taxi driver does not think that you are a Russian Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DavidYacht wrote:
Make sure the Taxi driver does not think that you are a Russian Madeye-Smiley
Yep that's the best advice. 1850 to Meribel should be E40-60 depending on the quality of cab etc
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Why would lifts "close on you"? Is that a euphemism for just getting the timing wrong?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
"Why would lifts "close on you"? Is that a euphemism for just getting the timing wrong?"

Pam I should have said IF they close. No euphemism: there were closures of valley links when I was there in early Jan; and late openings for wind etc. We wanted to go over to Courchevel, and had recce'd a route my wife could take. My worry was what if the wind got up and we couldn't use the Saulire Express to get back.

CG
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There is a road from la tania to meribel which connects them without going to the valley floor. We used it a few times to get back from the rond point on one trip. We luckily bumped into a group of seasonairres with the use of a landy, but we did see people hitching. No idea how much a taxi is but it's not that far between LT and Meribel.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes there is the road which is good if you have a car. But it's 5 miles from Meribel centre to LT, a long way in ski boots and sub-zero temps. And as far as I remember it doesn't have street lights every few metres once you get beyond the village.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ecureuil, Welcome to snowHeads!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
Pam I should have said IF they close. No euphemism: there were closures of valley links when I was there in early Jan; and late openings for wind etc. We wanted to go over to Courchevel, and had recce'd a route my wife could take. My worry was what if the wind got up and we couldn't use the Saulire Express to get back.
Just back from the 3VS: At the top of all links between valleys, they have a colour coded flag system and explanatory information board:

- Green flag = Open.
- Red = Closed.
- Orange = Caution advised - links may close.

After all links were closed on our first two days, we took a chance and skied over on a couple of orange flag days. Made it back okay - but, have to say, the risk of possible closure was in my mind.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Exactly my worry MA!

We did the same on Sat 9th- very bad vis, but we went anyway. Loze/Anemones/Loze est/Biollay lift/pralong/Altiport to Cap Horn. Then down to the village for the Verdons and big boy to Saulire.

Most expensive pizza on the planet! Wife felt a great sense of achievement though.

CG
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've just got back(10-17Jan), went over to VT from Courchevel 1650, on my way back apart from poor visibility the signs/piste names etc were all snowed over. Took same run twice, started to panic re lift timings, made the last lift with 5min to spare.
Wouldn't have minded so much, but I have done it so many times in the last 4 years.
Snowed every day & every night.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nowhere near as scary as Zermatt/Cervinia. If you get stuck the wrong side of the border, there's no way back. Just make sure you have a credit card and hope that there's room at the inn!
snow report
Meribel to Courchevel is no big worry. Just don't get stuck in the VT valley. When we were in meribel last week the links were closed for two days. It was no big deal. We skied down to Meribel Village and then got a cab to La Praz. It was 40E. The driver had a clipboard with set prices for each destination. On the way back we went from La Tania so it was only 32E.

In fact it was one of the best days we had in Courchevel because most of the Meribel folks who would usually be skiing there couldn't make it so the slopes were lovely and quiet. If you were really stuck you could walk between La Tania and Meribel Village although to be honest I'd be hitchhiking at that stage.

We met a guy who got stuck in VT last week when the St Martin 2 lift closed. He got the St Martin 1 lift up then walked up the rest of the way, and skied back to meribel. That sounded like a pretty epic mission.
snow report
@monkey,
Quote:

He got the St Martin 1 lift up then walked up the rest of the way, and skied back to meribel. That sounded like a pretty epic mission.

Wow, was it Ranulph Fiennes?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy