Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DIY boot stretching?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've got a pair of Scarpa Denali touring boots which were originally expertly fitted by Backcountry UK in Ilkley (using my original foot-beds); I've not used them for a few years, in the meantime skiing in my Black Diamond Factors, mostly lift served with a bit of skinning.

I have new and better foot-beds and heel lifts (to compensate from limited movement after an old ankle fracture) which are fine in the Factors and have helped my skiing tremendously, but they take up too much room if I put them in the Denalis

So I need to expand the shells of my Denalis to accommodate the foot-beds and lifts, the liners still fit great.

Rather than make a long trip to the boot fitters (when they are booked up anyway), and considering the liners are fine, how simple/effective/stupid would it be to just put the shells in the kitchen oven at the appropriate temperature before putting my feet and liners into them with the foot-beds and lifts??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@On the rocks, I'm in no way an expert on the subject, but having watched many boots being fitted, all the shell modifications (on non-heat mod-able boots), are made at a single point. So for example bunion, ankle etc, not the whole boot. Also once the modification has been made with heat/pressure, the boot was then cooled as quickly as possible in ice water. You don't mention how many years a few years is, as I believe some plastics degrade badly.

I would have thought the biggest risk with heating the whole boot in the oven is changing the alignment of the boot sole, which is very critical if you are using tech pin bindings.

Having said that, I'm sure someone will be along to say it is fine Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
it's old pebax, it will get burned without proper tools, dump them, it would cost 50 bucks at the boot fitters, worth more than the shoes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy