Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hire shop charges for damage

Poster: A snowHead
@rungsp,
Or claim goods not fit for purpose loss of part of a ski day and potential injury etc etc.

Now there are good shops out there some posts on here clearly demonstrate that but we would all be very naive to think that no shop would try and shaft customers, unfortunately some will do every year.

Some on here have said chalk it up to experience or is it worth the hassle. Well the answer has to be yes, because unless we all stand up to these scams we will eventually get stung by one ourselves or someone we know will.
Yes it can be a lot of hassle for us but imagine how much hassle it creates for the shop if they have loads of people each season taking action. In the end it just becomes financially impractical to continue these scams which is good for us all.

No disrespect to the OP we only have his word only he knows the facts, but if we do the right thing and give him benefit of doubt that he is stating the facts as they happened I think the shop swapped the skis when he returned them. You would even as an intermediate feel the difference , you would feel the impact needed to cause that amount of damage. In my opinion I do not think the damage is new ie done within a day or two, it just looks older. If the shop did not swap the skis on return then I think they did a poor repair covered by a nice layer of wax knowing the repair would not hold and they could then claim from the OP.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rungsp wrote:
A friend of mine just got stung by a hire shop in Morzine.

He lost a ski on the mountain when the heel piece of the binding just came off the ski mid blue slope, taking the brake with it.

He fell but the ski zoomed down and down and down, never to be seen again.

Was it someone here who told the story of a pisteur in Les Menuires this Christmas who came across a guy skiing on one ski and the other foot bare? He's been skiing along when his foot came out of the boot (boots too big) taking his ski, boot and sock with it. Very amusing I thought. The Pisteur called a skidoo, I suppose that counted as mountain rescue but I dunno, I've known pisteurs give skidoo rides for free to stranded skiers.

Regarding hire skis. It is often the case that they are skis specially made for hire. They are similar to brands sold in the shops but when you look up the name you can't find any trace. I don't know what the difference is - more robust? cheaper build? I suspect they are cheap versions of shop sold skis myself.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
OK, so had a reply through from Precision ski:

Quote:
I have discussed your equipment both with the shop and our own workshop to be sure about the information and what I understand is that the skis you received were indeed a K2 Amp but I'm afraid you are misinformed regarding the category. The skis you were given were definitely of Perforance / black level and are absolutely what we would consider an equivalent ski to the Rossi Pursuit 16.5 that we show online.
However, you are correct in saying that the ski was not new and in fact had not been serviced as far as I can tell leading to 'ok' but not the high quality of base or edges that we would expect from our shops. I'm afraid that I don't think they realised that the skis hadn't been serviced.
After discussion with the owner of the shop yesterday I would like to offer a refund of the difference between our Perforamnce and Sport category and a gesture on top for the fact that the skis hadn't been serviced that week.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mango, better response than you had expected?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mango, good update, hopefully it will amount to 200 euro.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
& a gesture for the damage you testify you didn't cause by collision with anything?

Maybe now is the time to point them at this thread?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Are you sure their saying that it hadn't been serviced isn't simply a way of saying that because they hadn't been serviced there's no way they could have been given to you with that level of damage being hidden. In other words they are obliquely saying that it must have been you that did the damage.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mango wrote:
OK, so had a reply through from Precision ski:

Quote:
I have discussed your equipment both with the shop and our own workshop to be sure about the information and what I understand is that the skis you received were indeed a K2 Amp but I'm afraid you are misinformed regarding the category. The skis you were given were definitely of Perforance / black level Possible BS -given ski companies badge up all sorts of stuff for rental OEM under halo branding and are absolutely what we would consider an equivalent ski to the Rossi Pursuit 16.5 that we show online.
However, you are correct in saying that the ski was not new and in fact had not been serviced as far as I can tell leading to 'ok' but not the high quality of base or edges that we would expect from our shops. I'm afraid that I don't think they realised that the skis hadn't been serviced.So how did they know ski was not in damaged condition when it left the store?
After discussion with the owner of the shop yesterday I would like to offer a refund of the difference between our Perforamnce and Sport category and a gesture on top for the fact that the skis hadn't been serviced that week.

A cynic might even postulate they avoid servicing repaired rock skis too aggresssively in case it rips out existing repairs.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mango,
As the skis have not been serviced and have stated so in an email A FULL REFUND is in order as they can not now legally state the damage was not there before. Thus legally they can not prove YOU caused the damage.

Tell them you want a full refund and free ski hire next year ( so they can demonstrate to you this was a very rare oversight by them, not common practice ) or you will forward all this to your CC company and make a full claim and also an official complaint re their business.

You stick to the phrase " I'm afraid that I don't think they realised that the skis hadn't been serviced. "

That to me is they key point a shop with trained staff did nor realise a ski was not serviced is a shop that did not look at/inspect the base and edges properly prior to you renting them. Potentially they rented out skis with the damage ie cracked edge and starting to come away that could have caused you a serious injury.

Good luck you have done great so far just keep at them and stand your ground as much as possible.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

That to me is they key point a shop with trained staff did nor realise a ski was not serviced is a shop that did not look at/inspect the base and edges properly prior to you renting them. Potentially they rented out skis with the damage ie cracked edge and starting to come away that could have caused you a serious injury.

Yup!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I don't know what the difference is - more robust? cheaper build? I suspect they are cheap versions of shop sold skis myself.

Generally sold to hire shops at a price less than an equivalent retail ski would be, but perversely often more expensive to construct. Bases thicker, edges thicker, top sheet less glossy and textured for scratch resistance. It's just that for the big boys the hire market is the higher volume lower mark up side of the business.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rented from Ski Republic in Les Coches last year (on recommendation of the apartment owners) service was okay but their skis were all beat to s**t.

200 euro is definitely a wee wee take, but I'm not too surprised. You've probably got very little comeback, particularly having paid, but may have some argument for breach of contract on their part if the skis given to you were not equivalent to what you paid for...although French law is probably completely different.

I've started taking photo/video of my skis when I pick them up, much like I do when hiring a car, otherwise it too easy to be lumbered with the cost of repairing other people's mistakes.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@speed098 haven't gone quite that far, I've declined their offer of a refund and asked for my €200 back. I can still go the chargeback route if they won't budge.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mango wrote:
@speed098 haven't gone quite that far, I've declined their offer of a refund and asked for my €200 back. I can still go the chargeback route if they won't budge.

They would be hard pushed to win a chargeback claim now after the email you received. Only you can decide what you will settle for but main issue is the 200 euros ( and nope I do not have a euro sign on my laptop either ).
As I said good luck and well done so far.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alt gr+ 4 gives a € symbol
snow report
@Hells Bells, Unless you've got a Mac then it's alt+2 Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy