Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stubaital or Obergurgl for Families

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

We are travelling to Austria in late March but not sure whether to go to Obergurgl or Stubaital.

The kids (aged 5 to 8 ) will be skiing for the first time and the adults aren't much better!

Which resort would you recommend?

Please could you recommend ski schools for the kids also?

Thanks

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 17-01-16 0:37; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not been to both but always very happy with Obergurgl. Not sure there is anything but Austrian ski school to choose from, language skills there are very good.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@oneillmg, Welcome to snowHeads!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
For Stubai you'd generally stay down the valley in Neustift (v limited accomodation at the glacier), so you'd be looking at a bus or drive every morning. You can stay right in the village near the lifts at Obergurgl, which makes things easier with kids. No idea abut ski schools, sorry.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Been to both (past two Februarys to Obergurgl for 1 week each time) and off to Stubai again tomorrow early afternoon for a couple of days.

If I was you I would choose Obergurgl, especially with kids skiing for the first time as I know they are very good with kids there in the local Obergurgl ski school. http://www.skischule-obergurgl.com/en/index.html and (depending on your hotel choice) it is largely ski in/ski out.
I am sure there are good ski schools in Stubaital as well, but I just cannot speak with any first hand authority.

Plenty in Obergurgl to keep you busy for a week with the link to Hochgurgl, unless you are massive 'piste milers' or off piste steep fanatics.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Obergurgl is a much better known resort in the UK so has more British skiers. I've never used the ski school there but I know from chatting to various instructors in the Apres bar that they employ quite a few British instructors. It's also very convenient - ski in/out if you pick a hotel like the Jenewein.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@oneillmg, stubaital definitely cheaper if that is a factor.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I can also vouch for Obergurgl being great for families. Many of the hotels have great facilities. eg, Hotel Alpina has two separate spa areas, one for over 16s, in which you are expected to take off your swim costume, and the other for under 16s and those who want to be with their children or who prefer to keep their cossie on.

Bear in mind that the price of private lessons is a lot lower than, say, the big French resorts, so, shared between 2 or more kids, that might be a way to learn faster and make sure they are taught in English, though I would expect the main ski school will have English-speaking groups.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great, thanks all for the advice...much appreciated.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy