Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton -tips and recommendations sought

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm a somewhat aged intermediate skier off to St Anton for my first time next weekend and looking for suggestions and recommendations on 'must ski' pistes, good value mountain huts, easy accessed off-piste and après bars with more atmosphere than noise and Jaegermeister.
Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Considering the way you describe yourself:
Do not miss out on Lech-Zürs. It will suit you (and that's not meant in any negative way at all!)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"must ski" pistes? Not sure, I think they're all pretty good, there are no bland areas, each part has something to offer.

Easy access off piste - there's tons. Start with the marked ski routes, again all are good, but Schindler and Mattun are the 2 biggest beasts in St Anton.

The most easy to find off piste (which gets tracked out instantly) is the Bachseit - find the Tanzboden left, everything to the right of that as you go up is really nice N facing slopes, just pick a line. If you ski Kandahar (black 2) and head off left as it steepens that takes you to Larches, which is kind of a continuation of Bachseit. Just watch out for where it meets the piste at the bottom, depending on how the run below was pisted there can be nasty drops on to the piste.

There's a lot more off piste (have a browse on SH), but I'm not in a position to give away this information wink If you want to know the secrets though, local guide Franz Trimmel has an excellent website: http://alloffpiste.com/skiing/piste-guide-st-anton/ and another guide called Andy Thurner wrote an excellent book: http://www.freytagberndt.com/shop/9995000875684-abseits-der-piste-rund-um-den-arlberg/ well worth buying when you get there - there's an English version too.

Bars - try Pub 37 for atmosphere (bottom of the pedestrian zone).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks @Langerzug, both were very much on my 'to do' list whilst there . i've not yet studied the piste map-is access to both pretty easy ?

Thanks also @sah, for the off-piste hints . I'm not after anything too gnarly but will definitely look into the website you mention and think about that book. I might well try for a few days guiding/instruction whilst there just so I get to find some of the spots quicker.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
At the risk of hijacking this thread I am considering going to St Anton. I am travelling with a nervous intermediate ski-ing and was seeking some reassurance that the skiing around St Anton will be ok for my friend?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The run from Zurs down to Lech which may be piste 33 is a lovely run. Not always pisted but as it gets a fair bit of use the way is obvious .

While you are over there and you want a lunch treat find Rud-Alpe and sit on the terrace great view and good food. The soups are reasonable in price.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks @TQA, sounds an interesting run & I always enjoy a lunch with a good view Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nick, may see you about as we arrive on Saturday. Hoping if all goes to plan to get a couple of hours on the mountain in the afternoon. 14 mature but daft sods, 45-58, very good intermediate/advanced skiers. Who will hell or high water have a good time. Little Angel
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Scarlet Fez, pm sent
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
One of my favorites when I went was to get the Rendl lift first thing in the morning. Then go across to the chair below the restaurant. At the top there is either a straight black (generous rating) or a sweeping red which I prefer. You can then go all the way down to village level on a red run which I love. It gets heavily used/beat up towards the end of the day, but first thing in the morning it's a joy!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks @Northernhills, I've made a note of that - sounds like a nice start to the day snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy