Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Spontaneous last minute Ski Weeks/Long weekends-Where would you go?

Poster: A snowHead
So after having a trip booked for the Via Lattea in 7 days time and sweating over the snow conditions Ive decided it might be time to be a bit more last minute bearing in mind I do have the flexibility. Check the weather forecasts, wait for the big snow dumps and bang book a flight to the snowiest place going in the Alps. Obviously this also has its risks also but I like the idea and I have never really been lucky enough with getting a nice big dump on or just before my scheduled trips.

So which places are easiest to do this? I want to avoid package holidays as I live in Holland and often people that come along are friends in the UK.
I guess it needs to have the following:
<2 hrs from major airport
Relatively large ski area
Easy transfers or cheap car hire options
Large number of accommodation options (if booking less than a week in advance this is important).

I have ideas in my heads but this is just the obvious - Chamonix, Morzine etc - Im hoping for some answers that I havent considered!

Looking forward to your suggestions

snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well pretty much anywhere in Tirol from Innsbruck or Munich. Presumably same from Geneva.

There's no point thinking about it in advance as there are so many options. Just wait and see where it's gonna snow - absolute worst case scenario at busy times in busy resorts is you stay a 10 minute drive down the valley in a cheaper town.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dolomites from Innsbruck / Verona / Milan (although Milan is a bit more than 2 hours). I don't think they have had a mega amount of natural snow until this last week, but the skiing there is mostly over grass so you don't need a huge depth of snow and the man made snow is as good as it gets
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@clarky999, Are there many resorts with cheap accommodation in the Tirol area- always got the feeling you got to pay quite a lot there. Same for Dolomites @JohnHSmith, ?! If not I will definitely consider both Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This season?

One of the Salzburgland resorts from Salzburg airport.

St. Anton from Innsbruck. At this point in snow record, I would save the Dolomites for another time.

All snow records being equal? Courmayer or Aosta Valley from Turin.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@stef88, do you have flights booked already?

The snow conditions change dramatically by going the other side of the passes - over to Chamonix and Orelles for example - From Orelles you can up lift to VT.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@HeidiAmsterdam, yes for the Via Lattea next week as you know Wink, but for future trips not yet. I would be happy to book even a few days out providing the accommodation is also available, therefore you know roughly what the snow conditions would be like. Flights only seem to be 25-50% more than booking way in advance. Id be happy to pay that for tip top conditions.

Thanks for the resort names though - thats what I needed. All those ones you mention are ones I want to go to and havent yet!

Dolomites I would happily just book on a package sometime - bearing in mind they can get pretty much every piste open however little snow there is then I dont see the need to go there to chase snow. Also piste only skiing (in the main) isnt it?! Maybe I can persuade my gf there next year or the year after as it looks impossible not to like it!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I tend to use www.tiscover.com for Austria and local tourist information websites for Dolomites.

Off piste in Dolomites has restrictions (with good reason as far as I can see - as a mainly piste skier) without a guide
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the info @JohnHSmith,
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Use Pikey Air or sleazey Jet to Salzburg (both) or Munich (just sleazey) and then decide according to how you feel or what the snow is doing. Most hoteliers will do deal for a few days B&B or HB even the 5-star jobbies. I'm getting loads of offers or pay 3 stay 4 days etc. including ski pass for the Ski Amadé region all the time. Luckily I have my accommodation sorted out on a regular basis for a week or so and now have a room most times I want one for weekends as well (in the same hotel).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stef88 wrote:
@clarky999, Are there many resorts with cheap accommodation in the Tirol area- always got the feeling you got to pay quite a lot there.

Guess it depends what you mean by cheap? I'd be surprised if there aren't plenty of options at all budgets in most places (except possibly remote end of valley resorts like Obergurgl) - at least, as many as anywhere else in the Alps.

Been a while since I've looked for short term accommodation mind!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I paid 28 Euros B&B in a place in Sölden. They are around and people are willing to haggle if you want. The room I had was clean relatively large but had a bizarre arrangement for the loo and bathroom but both worked Breakfast was mega!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stef88 wrote:
Also piste only skiing (in the main) isnt it?!!

Try telling that to these guys.... snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/dMBCYH8fM3Q

But maybe not this year...yet!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Echo all the above suggestions and would add Verbier, which is also (just) within 2hrs of Geneva.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks guys. Particularly like this webpage supplied by @JohnHSmith, -love the fact they have a map with all the ski locations and information and it actually covers germany and italy as well as Austria... www.tiscover.com

Any such webpage like this covering French resorts ? Then I have all Alpine bases considered Wink
latest report
Bergfex covers all the alpine countries inc France...

http://www.bergfex.com/frankreich/

Loads of info on there inc resort stats, piste maps, webcam links, snow reports, weather forecasts, etc for each resort.
snow report
stef88,
We had 10 weeks skiing in the Tyrol (in 33 different resorts) last winter (over 6 trips) and averaged less than £25 pp per night, self catering. Have a look at Booking.com or Hotels.com, which are the sites we use.

The standard of accommodation was, in all cases, excellent.
ski holidays
@Bergmeister, 6 trips and 10 weeks. Man Im not one for getting jealous often but I am now snowHead I try to get 2 weeks every year and thats starting to push it!

Thanks @luigi, the link looks useful too. Ive been wanting some of these as they help narrow down the options very quickly.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy