Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets - compulsory from next season?

Poster: A snowHead
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
At very very low speed just off a lift I believe, his father fell back and hit his head. He went into a coma for several days and didn't make it through.

That speaks volumes on the need of wearing helmet while going to the pub!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why do people follow the Blind & then become Bind?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
abc wrote:
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
At very very low speed just off a lift I believe, his father fell back and hit his head. He went into a coma for several days and didn't make it through.

That speaks volumes on the need of wearing helmet while going to the pub!

who says don't?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wear one, not for protection though. First reason, the indoor slope near me has a rule of wearing one. Although thats not even my main reason. I wear a beanie, my head sweats, it ends up sliding up and leaving me with the burn line. A helmet, i open the vents when i feel hot and go fast. Sorted. If i wear nothing, i get frost bite on my baldy noggin Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stanton wrote:
Why do people follow the Blind & then become Bind?

That's funny coming from someone who feels the need to post videos of people not wearing helmets to justify their own choice. If I followed you I would definitely need a white stick!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Pruman,

Can you point me towards the stats on that? Googled and can't find any data showing that any of those three things are true

Quote:

is statistically safer than crossing the road, way safer than riding a bike and I'm told there are more head injuries in golf

@Pruman,
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
At the risk of re-igniting this thread, if you are interested in the studies which have been conducted regarding (1) the efficacy of ski (or bike) helmets; (2) whether wearing ski helmets is associated with increased risk-taking and/or (3) whether ski helmets impact peripheral vision/other senses, you can read extracts of peer-reviewed medical journal articles on these topics by searching the following site: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

***ducks for cover***

EDIT: URL to the Pubmed site corrected.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 27-01-16 15:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chivdog, I tried your link but it wouldn't work for me. It might be because I'm using a tablet not a PC but it does look like it is incomplete

Thanks
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@jedster, I don't know, it was a bit of a guess for dramatic effect. But, for example, in 2010 in London alone there were 58 pedestrian fatalities caused by collisions with vehicles/bikes and a whole magnitude higher of seriously injured. If that were happening to holiday skiers in collisions questions would be asked.

This is the kind of thing you find on Google:

Quote:
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, during 2007 the following numbers represent an accurate estimation of the number of sports related head injuries seen in hospital emergency rooms:

Cycling: 64,993
Football: 36,412
Baseball and Softball: 25,079
Basketball: 24,701
Powered Recreational Vehicles (ATVs, Dune Buggies, Go-Carts, Mini bikes, Off-road): 24,090
Skateboards/Scooters (Powered): 18,542
Soccer: 17,108
Skateboards/Scooters: 16,477
Winter Sports (Skiing, Sledding, Snowboarding, Snowmobiling): 16,120
Water Sports (Diving, Scuba Diving, Surfing, Swimming, Water Polo, Water Skiing): 12,096
Horseback Riding: 11,759
Health Club (Exercise, Weightlifting): 11,550
Golf: 8,417
Trampolines: 7,075
Hockey: 5,483
Gymnastics/Dance/Cheerleading: 5,459
Ice Skating: 3,703
Fishing: 3,560
Rugby/Lacrosse: 3,281
Wrestling: 2,640
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My daughter stumbled off a button lift whilst learning to ski on a dry slope, I was coming down the slope when I saw guy a few lifts behind let go of he's button which swung out in a arc and smacked my daughter clean in the head! Buying her a hemet that morning was the best thing I've done in terms of her skiing, (next is a transceiver) I wouldn't like to think what would have happened if she wasn't wearing a helmet, at best lots of stitches & blood and It show it doesn't need to be a hard packed icy piste, a tree , a rock or some idiot taking you out to get a head injury.
Both myself & my wife also wear helmets because quite simply they could save our life, People will always argue about wearing helmets but if there is the smallest percentage that it will help, to me its a simple choice.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Putting the cat among the pigeons..

http://www.220triathlon.com/news/wearing-helmets-increases-risk-taking/10741.html

Replicated in real-life settings, this could mean that people using protective equipment might take risks against which that protective equipment cannot reasonably be expected to help.
end quote
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ansta1, It's called Risk Compensation and has largely been discredited in relation to helmets across sports. Most current studies into peoples risk adaption show either no long term change in behaviour patterns or a slight reduction in risk taking or risky behaviours in people who choose to wear a helmet. Citation

What does seem to be missing is a lack of good data newer than about 10 years ago when helmet prevalence was still relatively low compared to what we see today.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i'm fairly confident that people who wear helmets that constantly look to convince others that there decision (to not) is wrong, is done so out a need to re-enforce there own decision and low self-esteem rather out of a sense of actually caring for the well being of others.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@eddiethebus, so not those who choose not to wear constantly try to discredit the reasoning behind those who choose to wear them out of need to justify their personal beliefs in the face of an overwhelming tide of popular opinion and fear that one day they'll just be overruled by some authority outside their control?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Richard_Sideways, i know what it is and that its either used or discredited depending on the view you have. I dont really give a fudge either way but was just linking to the recent study.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@eddiethebus, so not those who choose not to wear constantly try to discredit the reasoning behind those who choose to wear them out of need to justify their personal beliefs in the face of an overwhelming tide of popular opinion and fear that one day they'll just be overruled by some authority outside their control?

nope. I don't think I've ever read a thread anywhere that has been started by someone who doesn't wear a helmet with the purpose of convincing people who do to change.

people who don't wear helmets defend there decisions, but never bring the subject up first on forums.
latest report
@eddiethebus,
Have you met DG Smile
snow conditions
Wow, and they say that people who wear helmets lack peripheral vision...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=123188&start=160#2836826

The inference is pretty clear.
latest report
@Pruman,
Quote:

don't know, it was a bit of a guess for dramatic effect.

That's a polite term for bullsh*tting isn't it? Very Happy
Quote:

But, for example, in 2010 in London alone there were 58 pedestrian fatalities caused by collisions with vehicles/bikes and a whole magnitude higher of seriously injured. If that were happening to holiday skiers in collisions questions would be asked.

Quote:

According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, during 2007 the following numbers represent an accurate estimation of the number of sports related head injuries seen in hospital emergency rooms:

Powered Recreational Vehicles (ATVs, Dune Buggies, Go-Carts, Mini bikes, Off-road): 24,090

Water Sports (Diving, Scuba Diving, Surfing, Swimming, Water Polo, Water Skiing): 12,096

Oh God but that is meaningless without knowing how many people participate in those activities and how frequently!
You make the same error in talking about pedestrian fatalities. The hours of exposure of pedestrians in London is on an utterly different scale to that of skiers rolling eyes Without adjusting for that you can't compare risk. It's not a complicated a concept surely?
ski holidays
I'm just off to Whistler, so I checked the website and it seems to say that children must wear helmets and now anyone working on the mountain must wear helmets. i.e. lift operators, ski instructors, etc.. But it is not compulsary for adults yet....
snow report
ok I know this is about helmets, which I don't give a tosh about, however in the last two ski trips I saw butt protectors, I kid you not. One in Madonna this year, and one in Ischgl last year. Ok perhaps they weren't butt protectors but they looked like butt protectors. They were the funniest looking things attached to the back bottom, and clipped around the waist and legs. Now if they become a piece of kit that folks consider important, then we will have a good thread. ( if they aren't butt protectors what in hell are they?)
ski holidays
ok just looked them up, yes they are butt protectors. rolling eyes
http://www.amazon.com/Bohn-ButtSaver-Butt-Tailbone-Protector/dp/B001TLTUVE?tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
simonhardcastle wrote:
chivdog, I tried your link but it wouldn't work for me. It might be because I'm using a tablet not a PC but it does look like it is incomplete

Thanks

Thanks. Rogue full stop at the end of the link. Correct link is here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed
latest report
jedster wrote:
Oh God but that is meaningless without knowing how many people participate in those activities and how frequently!
You make the same error in talking about pedestrian fatalities. The hours of exposure of pedestrians in London is on an utterly different scale to that of skiers rolling eyes Without adjusting for that you can't compare risk. It's not a complicated a concept surely?

Firstly I'm delighted you recognise my celestial existence. Anyway, Internet forum in meaningless stats shock!

Pedestrians aren't spending all day crossing the road. You might cross the road 10 times and take 10 seconds each time so that's 100 seconds exposed to the peril. A skier (excluding uplift and pit stops) might be in peril for 3-4 hours. Yes, there are lots of pedestrians in London but at any one time on the globe there are an awful lot of skiers on the move too. Across the globe there are many 000s of pedestrians killed by collisions each year (and untold number injured), but only handfuls of skiers. I think pedestrians should wear helmets.
snow report

Quote:

[/quote]

Surprised rugby and lacrosse are lumped in together, lacrosse players wear hockey helmets, often with face cages.

Anyway, my point is that a few of us that now ski and used to play hockey think ski helmets are complete rubbish compared to a hockey helmet. Admittedly hockey lids are hard shell, but designed to take knock after knock, including pucks flying around at 90mph, regular elbows, punches, and other body parts, bouncing off the boards at 25mph, landing on the ice. Not one of us would even think about wearing a ski helmet to play hockey, they aren't man enough for the job. About time these ski companies looked at hockey helmets if they are serious about peoples safety. The materials from hockey lids built to a ski spec would be far safer and the same weight. IME

When you look at the figures above and compare hockey, where training and matches for players in a contact sport at high speed will be two or three times a week for rec players and 7 days a week for pro's, 12 months of the year incl' summer leagues. Compared to a 6 month ski season, the amount of head injuries should surely be the other way around.

Ski helmets are not offering the protection they should, but with the vents and the pretty colours, they do serve a purpose in some way. Hopefully hockey or ski helmet manufacturer will read this and design something that will actually give quality head protection and functionality. This is just an opinion based on wearing both types.
snow report
In my part of London are numbers of nippers now wearing helmets. They are not skiing, some on scooters, some just walking about. Bizarre but lucrative trend.
snow report
Quote:

Ski helmets are not offering the protection they should

I think the top end Sweet and Poc helmets probably do - at a price. Trouble is that people typically buy or rent cheapo helmets that only just meet the safety standards, and those helmets get kicked around the chalet and mountain restaurant and have nice Go Pros mounted on them to potentially set up life-changing rotations. If people are worried about hitting their head then the safety standards need revising upwards and forget cameras.
latest report
Wearing helmets is the same as the followng debates.

Mac v PC
Drink Driving V Not Drink driving
Snowboarding V Skiing

All are pointless as the are argued again and again and again.

End of the day those that wear them will always argie for it and those that don't wont.

Personally I am a helmet wearing, PC using, sober driver that snowboards Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Bish wrote:
On the other hand, I did notice that my son's travel insurance was only valid for helmet wearers. That is compulsion by the back door, I reckon.

snowHead

Or common sense by the back door? Why wouldn't you wear one? I don't even know I have mine on...
latest report
@KernowRed, you forgot Conservatives v Muppets, In EU v Out EU, lager v ale.
ski holidays
Personally I am a helmet wearing, PC using, sober driver, muppet supporter that drinks larger in the EU and that snowboards
snow report
I have always avoided entering into the helmet debate - I take the view that this is a decision for people to make for themselves. However, there are far too many people on this thread, as ever, who are insisting that not wearing a helmet is stupid (or not common sense), or indeed seem to be arguing that it would be a good thing if it were compulsory. This is simply not backed up by the facts, and it is a perfectly rational decision not to wear a helmet if you do not wish to. I certainly do not say that people should not wear one if they wish to, but I choose not to because:

1 The risk of a serious head injury is actually very low and well within the level of risk I am happy to take. This is backed up by many studies - I suggest that people read Dr Mike Lanran's excellent and balanced website www.ski-injury.com, and specifically http://www.ski-injury.com/prevention/helmet. Note that Dr Mike does wear a helmet, but also clearly states that the evidence does not support making it compulsory. Contrary to common belief, skiing is actually a relatively safe sport - injury rates are approximately 2/1000 days skiing and fatalities around 0.71 deaths per million skier days. Not all of these are due to head injury. He states, for Scotland (where he was based):

Potentially Serious Head Injuries (PSHI) have fortunately been pretty rare in Scotland, probably because we don't have trees on or near our pistes to collide with or long wide slopes that maybe associated with high speed person to person collisions. Nevertheless, its no reason for complacency. Our ongoing study shows that from 1999-2008, head/face injuries accounted for just under 15% of all injuries in skiers and snowboarders with an absolute rate of 0.32 per 1000 skier days. The vast majority of injuries were minor in nature and only a few people needed transfer to hospital. None had any serious neurological complications as a result of their injury. Despite rising rates of helmet use (about 40% of all slope users currently compared to 5% in 1999, we have not seen the % of head injuries - even minor/moderate ones - decrease yet in Scotland).

2 Whilst helmets do undoubtedly prevent minor head injuries, it is also clear that they are of little use in preventing serious injury. Again, not my words, but the result of real studies. To quote from ski-injury.com:

In the 1998/99 part of the study, Shealy and colleagues followed the deaths as they happened and found that, where the information was available, 35% of individuals who died were wearing a helmet. This is much higher than the rate of helmet use amongst the general population on the piste. Two of the deaths amongst snowboarders resulted from them being struck by young skiers wearing helmets who had jumped without being able to see where they would land.

Shealy et al conclude "...the findings are not particularly supportive of the notion that wearing helmets will significantly reduce the number of fatalities in winter snow sports". This was supported by a presentation at the last ISSS meeting by the Chief Medical Examiner for the state of Vermont, USA - Dr Paul L. Morrow. Dr Morrow was of the opinion that of 54 deaths at commercial ski areas in Vermont from 1979/80 to 1997/98, helmets would not have been of any particular value in saving any of the lives lost - as the degree of trauma simply overwhelmed any benefits that the helmet might convey in an impact. To quote Shealy et al again - a team of highly respected ski injury researchers - "On the basis of results to date, there is no clear evidence that helmets have been shown to be an effective means of reducing fatalities in alpine sports".

Its a sobering fact for example that more than half of the people involved in fatal accidents in 2008/09 at ski areas in the USA were wearing helmets at the time of the incident (Source - NSAA). As Shealy states "Even though the prevalence of helmet utilization is rising by 4 to 5 percent per year in the U.S., there has been no statistically significant observable effect on the incident of fatality."

In another recent scientific publication, Shealy and his colleagues found that the most common primary injury in ski and snowboarding fatalities is some sort of head injury – approximately 60 percent of ski fatalities involve a head injury. However, it is critical to place this into its proper context. “While some sort of head injury is usually the first listed cause of death, most of the fatalities also involve multiple, or secondary trauma sites; single causes of death are not common.” Most fatalities appear to occur under circumstances that are likely to exceed the protective capacity of current helmets designed for recreational snow sports. (Source - “Do Helmets Reduce Fatalities or merely Alter the Patterns of Death?” Shealy, J., Johnson, R., and Ettlinger, C., 2008)

The take home message is that the wearing of a helmet should not be viewed as a panacea against fatal injury and should not give the wearer a false sense of security. Carl Ettlinger - a world renowned expert in ski safety from Vermont, USA - sums up the situation when he says on his website...

"When you feel that rush of adrenalin while skiing (snowboarding), ask yourself if you would be doing what you are doing if you were not wearing a helmet. If the answer is NO, maybe you should reconsider the activity."

So, whilst helmets may help reduce the incidence of minor and moderate head injuries and lacerations they may be less able to protect the foolhardy skier who pushes his or her limits and who (inadvertently) ends up wrapping themselves around a tree at typical skiing speeds. To give a stark example, biomechanics have demonstrated that in order to protect the head against a direct impact blow at 30 mph, with currently available materials, a helmet would need to be at least 18cm thick, 50cm wide and weigh 5kg+. Hhhmm….stylish. Radar data collected from ski areas suggests most intermediate skiers regularly travel at much higher speeds than this.....

I would point out that Michael Schumacher was wearing a helmet, which did not help him much.

3 I believe that there are better ways to reduce the risk of head (or indeed other) injury. Whilst you can never reduce the risk to zero (and nor would I wish to), skiing within your capabilities, taking care around people and objects, not indulging in jumping, parks and the like and not skiing in trees, will substantially reduce my risk of injury, head or otherwise, than wearing a helmet.

So, please stop telling me that I am idiot or have no common sense when I choose not to wear a helmet.

That said, Dr Mike and many studies do point out that the incidence of head injuries seems to be greater for children and beginners. There are various theories for this, but I think it does make sense for children to wear helmets and I insist mine do, until they are old enough to make that decision for themselves. My kids do tend to ski at the edge of their ability, jump, play in the parks and ski through trees - all of which substantially raise the risk. Indeed, if I were doing those things, I would probably wear a helmet myself.

More controversially, I do believe there are some downsides to the increase in helmet wearing, and do think that they may have made the slopes (slightly) more dangerous. These are personal opinions, and I understand that many will disagree. Specifically:

1 I do think that the wearing of helmets makes SOME people take more risk. There do seem to be studies in both directions on this, so I know that it is not a provable assertion. However, I do have friends who seem to display this behaviour, in particular a couple of previously quite careful ladies who have expressly said that wearing the helmet makes them feel more confident (to the extent that in one case I now steer well clear of her on the slopes)

2 I know from my own experience of wearing a helmet that it has some impact on my awareness of what is around me. This is in part hearing, and in part reduction in peripheral vision. In fact the latter is not really a result of wearing the helmet, but the habit of wearing goggles with a helmet - this is backed up by studies. However, anecdotally, I think there are more collisions on the slopes, and I believe that the wearing of helmets (with goggles) does contribute to this. I hate wearing goggles, and this is a major factor in my decision not to wear a helmet

3 Less seriously, I think that having a thing on your head that makes your head bigger, makes some (usually minor) accidents more likely. Again anecdotally, but I have never hit my head with a chairlift bar - but I cannot count how many times helmet-wearing friends have clonked themselves and said "thank goodness for my helmet". I do not believe the idea that a helmet makes neck injuries more likely - I can find no evidence to that effect.

So, in summary - feel free to wear a helmet if you wish, but please stop trying to impose your choice on me or those who choose not to. Not wearing a helmet is perfectly rational, given the low risk and relatively low protection provided against serious head injuries. I have skied for 35 years without, and see no reason to change now. In the words of the expert, Dr Mike from ski-injury.com:

Personally, I wear a helmet myself and would always recommend (but not force) others do so too - in my opinion there is no good reason not to wear a helmet other than personal choice. However, I also agree with the AMA's conclusion that there is insufficient evidence to support mandatory wearing of helmets on the slopes. Yes, head injuries do occur and yes, helmets will help in the vast majority of head injury situations. The argument is stronger for children who are at higher generic risk of injury on the slopes. In my opinion though, the fact remains that the risk of such an injury remains too small to insist that everyone on the slopes must wear a helmet. It should remain your personal choice at the end of the day. Nevertheless, parents should think long and hard before sending their kids out on the slopes without a lid on......
latest report
rg1 wrote:
I would point out that Michael Schumacher was wearing a helmet, which did not help him much.

I don't care whether people wear helmets (and I certainly don't think it should be compulsory), and I wouldn't call you an idiot for not wearing one...but that Schumacher comment is verging on idiotic. People on motorbikes die from head injuries, do you think that they shouldn't wear helmets? People in motorsport die from head injuries, should they cast the helmet aside too?
snow conditions
Why is that an idiotic comment? My point is that wearing a helmet, whilst protecting against less serious injuries, is of limited use against more serious injuries - not my view, but clearly stated by the experts/studies. It is common for people to use Schumacher's sad accident as a reason for wearing a helmet - whereas in fact it is no such thing, and is an example of how helmets do not provide much protection against serious accidents.

I am not saying that his accident is a reason for not wearing one if you want - it is up to you to assess the risks and benefits for youself.

Not sure of the relevance of the motorcycle point - I believe we are talking about recreational skiing. I have no knowledge of the risk or protection provided by helmets for motorcycles, so have no comment. In particular, I don't think you can apply the logic of wearing a helmet in Motorsport to recreational skiing (and I would and do wear a helmet when engaging in higher risk skiing activities such as racing).
snow report
Quote:

People on motorbikes die from head injuries, do you think that they shouldn't wear helmets?

No, because a lot of bikers are saved by their helmets.

In skiing the wearing of helmets has reached almost saturation level yet, I'm informed, numbers of head injuries requiring hospital attention and deaths remain as they were before everyone started wearing one. That's no reason for anyone to make a personal decision whether to wear one or not of course.
ski holidays
If you want to wear one, wear one, if you dont then dont. Lets stop bleating on about it.
ski holidays
@ansta1, I agree, but the title of the thread is about compulsion.
snow conditions
rg1 wrote:
Why is that an idiotic comment? My point is that wearing a helmet, whilst protecting against less serious injuries, is of limited use against more serious injuries - not my view, but clearly stated by the experts/studies. It is common for people to use Schumacher's sad accident as a reason for wearing a helmet - whereas in fact it is no such thing, and is an example of how helmets do not provide much protection against serious accidents.

Just because someone can still get injured while wearing a helmet does not form a reason to not wear one (which is how your comment read to me). The reason for the comparison to bikes/racing is in line with this, people still have head injuries but I don't see that as a "didn't help him much" situation. I also don't see it as an example of how helmets do not provide much protection against serious accidents. Not saying that they do, but it's pure conjecture to suggest that they don't.

Like I say, it doesn't matter to me, I wear a helmet because I believe it's safer but that's my choice and I don't think anyone should be forced to.
snow report
buchanan101 wrote:
Chris Bish wrote:
On the other hand, I did notice that my son's travel insurance was only valid for helmet wearers. That is compulsion by the back door, I reckon.

snowHead

Or common sense by the back door? Why wouldn't you wear one? I don't even know I have mine on...t

personally I'm cacking myself if helmets become compulsory, even with just sunglasses on today, I found my head getting too hot, my body seems to push excess heat straight to my head, wearing a helmet today would have taken all enjoyment from the day's skiing. I need new boots but if helmets become compulsory, they're a waste of money as I won't be skiing again.
snow report
@tangowaggon, I take it you're not bald? Wouldn't overheat if you had my hairless bonce.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy