Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva to Avoriaz transfer advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on coach transfers from Geneva airport to Avoriaz.

I've been advised that its best to get dropped off at the Prodains Avoriaz cable car and get that up to the resort.

Our flight arrives in Geneva at 17:00 and the last cable car leaves at 21:00. I'm assuming that would be plenty of time, but just wondered what would happen in worst case scenario that flight or coach was delayed and we arrived at the cable car after 21:00. Is there any other way to get up to Avoriaz?

Also what transfer companies would people recommend. Alpybus seem to be reasonable value. Are they relaible?

Cheers, Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi

I went to Avoriaz from Geneva a year back. The transfer driver just took us directly to the resort, where we had to drag our bags through the no-car zone. Not very far, and you can bag a sled; or get a horsey sleigh ride to your digs. We had a private transfer in the package, but I can't see why that makes a difference.

CG
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
On the Alpybus site it implies that all Avoriaz transfers drop off at the cable car. Perhaps other operators drive up to edge of resort but I'm assuming they'll be more expensive?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@SlipnSlide, have a look at Skiidy Gonzales, I believe they take you up to Avoriaz. We had friends staying last week and the transfer from Skiidy had come down from Avoriaz before it came to us in Les Gets
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I need to look into this also for end February... I'd also read about getting the Prodains cable up, which sounds fine if I was on my own, but with a couple of sets of skis, and some big bags for the family it doesn't sound ideal. We need to go to the resort and get a horse sleigh. How much does the horse sleigh cost from the drop off area to Pas du Lac, Hauts-Forts area (near top of Prodains actually I think), and can we just turn up and they will be available?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Powdercabs

Brilliant transfer company up to Avoriaz
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The prodains lift is only really viable if your accommodation is really really close to it. I second skiidy gonzales as a transfer area in the area; used them a few times and they've always been reliable. Dead easy to spot in Geneva airport as they wear sombreros - when you've been waiting for an hours for the bugs to offload your skis from the plane, even though your baggage was there when you got to the hall, you'll be very grateful for not having to find your transfer driver.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Most of the companies will go to the top if you ask, for more money. Four hours could be tight if anything goes wrong (late arrival, slow bags, waiting for other flights, snowy roads etc.). As said above, the telecabine is only walkable to a small %age of appt blocks, and there are less sleighs down there, the base for in-resort transport (rattracks & sleighs) is at the welcome centre at the top. Best to call the transfer companies and ask.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alpybus are notoriously bad - Google the reviews.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I normally use Ski Lifts to get to Avoriaz. Usually a few pounds cheaper than Skiidy but to be honest have used them as well and they are both good. Both offer to drop you at Prodains or will take you up to Avoriaz. Again have done both and would echo the thought of only going to Prodains if you are staying near the top of it.

@Themasterpiece, the prices for the horse sleighs are all set and they have different prices for different areas. Last year I was staying down at the bottom of Avoriaz and the sleigh was 11 Euro.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh, just noticed you're staying at Pas-du-Lac, that is one of the blocks walkable from the bubble. You can rent a luggage luge (1E in the slot like a supermarket trolley) at the top, and load your luggage on. Then, if you've been provided with a residents lift key in advance, pull it downhill to the bottom of PDL, and take the lift up to your floor. Otherwise you have to pull it uphill to the top entrance (opposite Changabang) and take the stairs down to your level.

But I'd still want a guarantee from the transfer company that you won't wait for other flights. The best way to ensure this is to book a private, rather than shared, transfer.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@shep, thanks for the info. I saw its close, but the idea of lugging a couple of ski bags, boot bags, and a couple of holdalls (with limited help) and distance makes me prefer the main car park drop off. We wont be in a rush on the way out, arrive in Geneva 12:30 ish, and wont ski that day so a shared transfer is ok. Will think about private transfer back as that's always more stressful.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Little Tip for arriving at Prodains. Many of the apartments in Avoriaz have public lifts and escalators that you can use to work your way up the village with assistance as opposed to have to lug everything. One of the blocks opposite the prodains has a lift that take you up to the next level then you walk a bit more find another building etc.

However it takes some working out, is not fun if you arrive late and have tired family members etc and still involves some schlepping.

Just mentioning it as it might help anyone caught out. Oh and download the Avoriaz app as well as the piste map it has an interactive village map that shows all the public lifts and escalators etc.

These are also very useful when it comes to getting back from the pub:) Or in fact ski school. I often use the lift in the building outside shooters after I pick my daughter up from village enfants in the Christmas holidays as the drag is closed, and we can go up in the buildings lift, get out and we are then high enough to ski almost all the way back to our apartment.

G
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Themasterpiece wrote:
@shep, thanks for the info. I saw its close, but the idea of lugging a couple of ski bags, boot bags, and a couple of holdalls (with limited help) and distance makes me prefer the main car park drop off. We wont be in a rush on the way out, arrive in Geneva 12:30 ish, and wont ski that day so a shared transfer is ok. Will think about private transfer back as that's always more stressful.

Bit confused by this (and apologies if I've misread something). Your apartment is right by the Prodains lift, and transfers to Prodains are generally cheaper than ones to the Avoriaz main car park. And you'll need to get a taxi from the top of the town all the way to the bottom.

Personally I'd get the transfer to Prodains - if you have lots of bags you can still get a taxi to your apartment from Prodains (it's only about 200m), and overall it'd work out cheaper.

There's a black phone at the top of the Prodains lift to call for transport.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy