Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Flaine

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Be careful with an earpiece as I think that the French have made even a single earpiece attached to a telephone or music play interdit!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chris Mason,
I'm surprised to hear about queuing for fuel. We've driven to France 3 times in the past 18 months and, each time, filled up at the supermarket in Calais on the way home and driven straight to the pump.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can nap in the service areas despite the lights, the noise and the cold but find that I wake up after 30-45mins or so, my partner can't sleep at all. You might only be able to if you are tired enough.

The tag is well worth it both for not waking the passenger and not having to get out every time. I've also loaned it to other people both in summer and winter.

I use google maps as a Sat Nav and it's very good. Even the so called 'up to date' CDs for most built in systems can be over a year out of date when they are published and are only refreshed every few years.

Can't emphasis enough the need to know how to fit your chains, the only time I've been to Flaine at half term and not needed them I was driving a land rover defender with M&S tyres!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
marcellus wrote:
@albrown7, I think you're in danger of over thinking/planning this.

+1,000,000!

Relax - it's the autoroute through France not the "Road of Bones"...

Seriously, driving to Flaine is not a huge expedition even if it feels daunting now. Don't be put off by some of the obsessives/extremists your post has brought out of the woodwork. The best advice seen here came from whoever referred to the need to adopt a chilled attitude and accept that there will be some delays. This is far more important than a detailed plan!

I don't believe for one minute that French motorway service areas are any more dangerous than British ones. The roads themselves are miles better than our motorways.

We've always enjoyed the drive - even when the kids were very little - and have never once felt ourselves to be in an uncomfortable situation let alone threatened in any way.

Added: The Sanef transponder - get one. I see absolutely no chance you'll regret it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've driven to Flaine 12 times at Feb HT (last time in 2012) with family and myself as sole driver. As I worked in education and coudn't finish early on the Friday it was always late Friday evening tunnel crossing which was often delayed due to volume of passengers. Only used ferry once or twice as it takes longer to get to terminal and to Calais but you're committed to it this year. I remember the ferry being quite noisy, full of excited people going skiing (of course.....) so difficult or impossible to sleep. We always stayed overnight at F1 (cheap as already stated). When you think what you spend going skiing, it's worth it. But it means you get to the resort later on Saturday so you don't get to ski (but I had to sleep being sole driver). The problem with the Saturday is that every hour counts as the A40 will build up with traffic so the earlier the better,especially when Paris schools are on holiday.
The first tunnel on the A40 can queue as can the peage further on so the earlier the better. As said make sure you know how to fit your chains - practise at home on the drive,you'll be glad you did. If you have to fit them do it as soon as advised, it will be easier and you'll be less stressed (the first time I went I fitted them for the first time in my life in the dark with freezing fingers - not pleasant). Having said that I only needed them going a couple of times - the French are good at clearing the road in my experience.

As said, there are ample service stations with fuel and it really isn't worth turning off the autoroute searching for cheaper fuel imv (cost of skiing.....) except if you're low when turning off the A40 fill up at bottom of hill as said above.

It really isn't too bad if you've a decent vehicle and are prepared to sit and drive for hours. Enjoy it

snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Top up diesel near the mountains if its cold weather.

The alternative to being early up to is being late. Arriving in the middle of the day will be busy. and you might not have access to accommodation before 4 pm or so. Arriving in the evening will give you a clearer run up. Make sure you know how to get hold of keys if you arrive late by accident or design.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marcellus wrote:
Be careful with an earpiece as I think that the French have made even a single earpiece attached to a telephone or music play interdit!

OMG you're right. The law changed on 1st July 2015.
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/driving-abroad-whats-new-2012.html

Drivers are prohibited from using headphones and headsets (any device attached to the ear) when driving. This regulation applies to all drivers and riders and covers devices used for phone calls as well as for listening to music/radio etc. Bluetooth or integrated systems in a motorcycle helmet are still permitted.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the advice folks.

Cheers
Alistair
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy