Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SkiWelt Snow Report 2016

Poster: A snowHead
@Maersk, stiff skis, all day, will bash thru any slush and grip the ice!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice encouragement there @buchanan101
but you have to get off the hill at the end of the day.........
No. Gondola down is NOT an option.
rolling eyes
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
First week of meteorological spring should be/qualifies as winter conditions.............

just not this year apparently.....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maersk wrote:
Nice encouragement there @buchanan101
but you have to get off the hill at the end of the day.........
No. Gondola down is NOT an option.
rolling eyes

it certainly is down the Streif in Kitz. That can be horrid at the end of the day, especially the path that detours round the Hausberg traverse part of the course. Slushy moguls on a piste 5 metres wide...

It's lovely first thing, up and down once or twice when the lifts open...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@buchanan101, slushy moguls are one of the best things about spring skiing IMHO
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Maersk wrote:
First week of meteorological spring should be/qualifies as winter conditions.............

just not this year apparently.....

you are going second week aren't you?

Anyway, it's the same everywhere... warm. And as i said there have been more complaints about rain in France on the boards than in Austria.

You don't need as much snow in Austria either.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski wrote:
@buchanan101, slushy moguls are one of the best things about spring skiing IMHO

WHAT! horrid... still I bet there isn't 17.5 stone of you to manoeuvre. I'm built for speed, not turning, at least not on moguls!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@buchanan101, I'm a touch lighter (5 1/2 stone lighter!!), but they are enjoyable, honest!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
France has certainly been wet rather than mildly moist at lower levels but they do have...........
altitude.
Agree that not having your skis trashed by rocks is an advantage. France is like Scotland on steroids from that point of view if snow is thin.
Funny, there are all of the things that sent me over the pond in the 80s..........
Ah well, a bad day skiing is better than a good day at work.....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
France has certainly been wet rather than mildly moist at lower levels but they do have...........
altitude.
Agree that not having your skis trashed by rocks is an advantage. France is like Scotland on steroids from that point of view if snow is thin.
Funny, there are all of the things that sent me over the pond in the 80s..........
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
altitude.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
altitude.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Started at Sheffau today Monday 22nd at 8am. It was warm, reminded me of a late spring trip. I think i have sunburn. Stick to north facing pistes in the early morning and its ok. Loads of moguls and slush in the afternoon. The area is in need of cold temperatures more than snow- there is a surprisingly good amount left. Maybe thats the reason
they seem to have packed up most of the mobile (blue) snow making machines.
Also its pretty busy here- dutch half term I believe for next 2 weeks.
We will ski as high as possible rest of the week- Eg Kaprun. The AllStar pass is only 20 euro more.
Also prey for cold and dare i say it in " peak snow" week; some fresh snow.
Now had last two xmasses here green out and current end of Feb slush fest. This is not good- f*#k global warming.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@astribo,
Don't you mean South facing slopes in the morning, North when it warms up?

Went down into Scheffau 3 times last week, not sure why I did it a third time. I hate slush.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@musher
I dont carry onboard compass.
I mean slopes out of the sun in the morning are okay, would of thought that was fairly obvious?

Still on to the important stuff- there is some snow forecast for tomorrow ( Tuesday ) night so fingers crossed...
snow report
Typically though you want south facing slopes that catch the sun early - catch them as they soften instead of skiing gravelly chunks of frozen snow. Then chase the sun around valley as it catches different slopes at different times. There were still plenty of very firm pistes when I finished up at 1pm today.

I'm out in 'low' Austria until the end of March with a season pass for Salzburgerland so not particularly worried about one or two freaky warm days. Tomorrow has potential for more precipitation and likely snow, and the rest of the week looks pretty cold.
ski holidays
@astribo, it'd the opposite. You want to ski slopes in the sun in the morning, assuming typical spring conditions where it has frozen hard overnight.
snow report
Don't know what happened there?

Don't post for ages then three come along all at once.

Looking forward to my holiday but Austria, for my first time not..........................

Practicing German grammar, I was.

Still if there is plenty of it.................
ski holidays
@Maersk,
Sounds like you need to talk to Yoda Toofy Grin
snow report
Improve things, will he?
snow report
@Maersk, a good time you will have. Worry you not. Which resort are you staying in?
snow conditions
Soll.

I believe it is at sea level................
ski holidays
I MUST remain positive. I shall write it down 200 times
snow report
@Maersk, Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing

BTW I live about 4 valleys over at the same altitude and it is damned well snowing hard here tonight - bloody annoying as I have to be up even earlier to clear my car before driving to the other side of Munich into the office Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
@Maersk, http://www.bergfex.com/soell/webcams/c4250/
snow report
Thanks all

I need to be four valleys over..............
200!

OK start again.

Forecast might hold a little snow next week though.........
ski holidays
@Maersk, it takes me 25 minutes door to door to drive to Söll, less than 40kms, the slowest section is the bit going up from Kufstein as I invaribly get stuck behind a row of trucks or tactors! rolling eyes

It has been snowing on and off all day here in the Greater Munich area. It has probably snowed a wee bit more back in the mountains but then we are only at a lowly 550m asl here wink
snow conditions
@Maersk, feeling your pain. I was like this from Jan 1st to Feb 13th when we went to Soll. It really was good and holding its snow well because of its more northerly aspect. I was speaking to the father of the guy who runs the snow cannons and he felt sure they would not be needed again this season. Keep the faith!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks guys and guyesses.

Bottom is still twitching though
ski holidays
@Maersk,

I'm going to soll on the 5th March and have been to ski welt at this time a few times. Last visit two years ago I vowed never to return after skiing in slush most of the time, even at high levels. However as its a family thing and my brother used to work in Soll I've managed to be persuaded to return. The main thing I'm concentrating on is temperature. The snow depth is fine and will hold for two more weeks, it's how the temperature effects the snow which is my worry. HOWEVER everything I'm looking at is predicting a cooler than average start to March and if that brings some snow then great. Very Happy
ski holidays
Like you I vowed never to go (having never been) as it is low and the thought of single gondola access queues after a bus ride is not my sort of thing. But needs must. It was Austria or nothing this year..........

I am (almost) sure it will be great.........

A bad day skiing is better than a good day at work after all.
snow report
Kitzbuhel for me 19th March, my only 4 days of the winter, it'll probably be rubbish
ski holidays
@Maersk, I hope you are prepared to be disappointed! rolling eyes rolling eyes snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
@Maersk,

I've never experienced queues for the valley gondolas so wouldn't worry about that. Just avoid ski school starting times, if you're up early you will be fine. Leave your skis and boots at the gondola station and walk rather than the bus - it's the perfect warm up and cool down. Glass half full and all that Laughing
snow report
Cold damp boots then no doubt? Or is the storage heated? Cost?
snow report
Maersk wrote:
It was Austria or nothing this year..........

There are plenty of things to compensate for the convenience of french super resorts.

For one, its much easier on the eye...
snow conditions
There is that. It all certainly looks very pretty.
I have no German however. None
French, Italian but Nicht,..........
snow conditions
@Maersk,

It doesn't cost much 20euro for week or something like that, don't think it's heated but never had problems with cold damp boots. Cheer up - It will be great and you will love it The red run back to village is likely to be icy rather than slushy Laughing Laughing

The apres is great
latest report
@Maersk, OMG you've written it off before you've even sampled the delights. Where abouts in Soll are you staying? This was my 3rd trip in 5 years so that tells you it aint all bad. The bus ride really is a very short hop too!!
snow report
Maersk you will be fine, the pistes will be well covered and you will have a great time
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy