Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

School Kids caught in avalanche on closed piste

Poster: A snowHead
[quote="davidof"]
jedster wrote:
Quote:

3.5 Road deaths per 100K population, which is still bad, but not as dire as France.

2.8 / 100K for the UK in 2014
5.3 / 100K for France in 2014

So you are nearly twice as likely to die on French roads. Sweden, with its much vaunted "zero" road deaths programme has a 2.9 / 100K fatality rate. Holland, with its calm towns is the same as the UK.

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safety/pdf/vademecum_2015.pdf

East European drivers are the highest risk, no surprise to me, but do wonder if the typical age of the vehicle means death is more likely in a collision?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I see that cyclists are disliked in Holland even more than here, with 25% of road deaths being cyclists, where in Greece where no one uses helmets is much safer.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
blahblahblah wrote:

East European drivers are the highest risk, no surprise to me, but do wonder if the typical age of the vehicle means death is more likely in a collision?

I'm sure you are right that there are lots of factors that are important. Maybe km driven is a better measure?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@davidof, Yes, that would help, but probably polarise the results even more.

Value of car.
Accountability.
Condition of car.
Adhering to rules.
Road conditions.
Demographic of age.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I see that cyclists are disliked in Holland even more than here, with 25% of road deaths being cyclists, where in Greece where no one uses helmets is much safer.

@blahblahblah,
I'm sure you are bright enough to realise that to make the death rate stats meaningful you would need to normalise for the number of cyclists on the road? Lots more cycling Netherlands as a share of population and share of journeys.
How do you get "disliked" from the stats?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
blahblahblah wrote:

Well they do an awful lot more cycling in ThE Nertherlands.
Here's a relevent article.
See Smeed's law and KSI per billion miles cycled.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24987425
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Well they do an awful lot more cycling in ThE Nertherlands.

Here's a relevent article.

thanks - my point entirely
"In 2012 there were 38 deaths per billion miles cycled in Britain - the fourth lowest year on record - but in the Netherlands the number was almost half that, at just 22. The Netherlands is well-known for spending more on cyclists."
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof wrote:
blahblahblah wrote:

I'm sure you are right that there are lots of factors that are important. Maybe km driven is a better measure?

Yes I agree, and just maybe it could be applied to other forms of traffic.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Jedster. I agree with you. I didn't see your post as I was writing mine at the time.
Trying to tie all these stats together and make it relevant to skiing.
Does anyone know whether miles cycled miles skied is relevant?
You also read that most accidents happen near home, on short journeys.
I can see that probability of having an accident could increase with journey length, but the probability of having any accident even on a short journey may start off nearly as high.
Starting and stopping would seem to be relatively high risk points.
The "per billion miles" figure does work to show cycling density brings down the death and accident rate. This is because it slows the cars down. But on the Piste, the opposite is true. Accidents rise with density of participants.
Any experts care to comment?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The run that avalanched was officially open for the first time this winter yesterday. I skied down it with a heavy heart.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Claude B wrote:
The run that avalanched was officially open for the first time this winter yesterday. I skied down it with a heavy heart.

Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Was pretty well skied all week before it opened too Shocked
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@kerb, it has been pretty much all winter since it became skiable and even before.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Which one was it Claude? We have just left there.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bellecombes 5 Black . . .
latest report
Must be bellecombes 6?
Bellecombes 5 is red on my map.
snow report
blahblahblah wrote:

You're making no sense at all.
ski holidays
@poppyb, thought that red was 4 . .? Either way its the black with the Bellecombes chairlift that runs right over it . . .
snow report
The teacher in charge of the school group has been found guilty of manslaughter and sentenced to two years in jail, half of it suspended.
snow conditions
A further disturbing element of this very sad and tragic case.

The teacher convicted of manslaughter is reported as having clinical depression and was still being treated with medication at the time. He was quoted as saying that he felt ‘passive and a follower’ at the time he led the group down the closed black piste. Sad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy