Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why hasn't the Via Lattea opened up links?

Poster: A snowHead
@sergeantslow, It's the same bulletin from when this thread started yesterday - it's updated sometime in the afternoon for the next day. As it turned out yesterday that there were high winds in the area which are forecast to subside for the weekend so I think you may be surprised by the time you arrive.

Run's I have no idea my memory is not so good from 2008. Sad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@sergeantslow,

So, we like Orso Bianco for any and all kinds of food, in Sportina. The other cheap and cheerful place we like is just the top of the Clotes lift.

Bear in mind, I ski with children, so I'm very aware of what things cost!

Over on the Sansciario area, the restaurant along the baby lift always seems to have sun, but value for money on the food is less, and sometimes not particularly fast of efficient, which is compensated for the great sunny spot.

For the rest looking to see what others say to expand my horizon for the Feb ski holiday.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In Sauze itself Caffè Della Seggiovia is superb for apres (aperativos, wine and plates of nibbles free) and then Del Falco and L'Ortiche are both excellent for dinner (though not particularly cheap). For great value pasta Sugos is superb.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh yes, we liked Sugo's as well...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We hated Sugo's
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you make it over to Claviere/Montgenevre then the Baita Gimont which is on the route back from Montgenevre (Col saurel/Collet Verde) is well worth a visit.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Oh yes, we liked Sugo's as well...

Quote:

We hated Sugo's

Do they serve Marmite at Sugo's?

Thanks for all the tips - how about favourite runs (pushing my luck on a snow reports thread but hey, doesn't everyone?)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was at Sauze last week and also gained a negative impression of a dated resort. Clearly the lack of snow didn't help. We arrived on Saturday 2nd to the first real snow of the season and they had two lifts and two runs open on artificial snow. Despite about a foot of new snow in the week they only opened one more lift and two more runs. The TO (Ingams) did a great job, bussing us to Montgeneve, Sestriere and Serre Chevalier (by far the best of these). On the positive side the food & drink were great value.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g194891-d1747483-Reviews-Sugo_s-Sauze_d_Oulx_Province_of_Turin_Piedmont.html - FWIW

Re pistes, I'm probably not the best person to ask being a pretty limited skier but the Red 11/12/29 combos are all very enjoyable, top to bottom through the trees - 12 down to Jouvencaux great fun. Red 79 towards Sansicario also good. Obv depends what you're looking for.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sugo's does serve in quasi family style -

In terms of runs, I like the runs in Sauze where the two drags lifts are the best...and the drag lifts aren't so bad.

If the link to Sansicario is open, the trees between 72 and 79, loads of trails and fun, provided there is snow coverage.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@HeidiAmsterdam, with your local knowledge could you give us any insight into snow cannon coverage - are there many more runs in Sauze that could open because they have snow cannons? I have been told the resort runs have cannons, but does that mean the runs out to the left of the piste map with the drags have cannons? I guess these are the runs that you like in your above comment?!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I don't have that much knowledge, I've skied there once for 10 days....

But from what I recall, no snow cannons over there.

I made some runs with a local I met on the chair lift, well English, but now local to Turin. He told me the whole Via Lattea is controlled by the mafia, that said, I thought they were better business people than this, so indeed, lacking in snow cannons. It's going to hurt them this season I think. Last year started late, but finally there were great conditions, from the looks of the forecast, this is it for January - not likely to get better, apart from the fact the snow cannons can run.

They should take note from the Dolomites, run by Ladins. That they opened up the whole Sella Ronda for Christmas in above freezing temperatures with their snow making, this was an epic success - what great PR.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@HeidiAmsterdam, Thanks for the info! I didnt think cannons would be there. I presume there are only a handful of more runs they can open up then! Yep, the dolomites has done well with its man made snow this year, but as someone commented - its much easier for them as the humidity is often lower so cannons work at above freezing temperatures better. No excuse though, if they had more cannons in the VL it would definitely help! Shame, its my first time going here and in Italy for that matter - ah well at least the food will be good Wink . All we can hope for people with trips planned over the next month is a quick pattern shift in this high pressure expected next week.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stef88, well, it isn't the piste skiing there that is so great, it is the in between the pistes... tonnes of trails through the trees - and no idea how that is holding up with the amount of snow.

I've rented a car for my trip, should it be necessary, I'll be 'going abroad' as it were every other day or so - should there be a dump, I'll cancel the car.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
One thing I can't complain about here in Sauze is the food on the mountain. €1 for a cafe americano or €2 for a cappuccino and foot long panni for €5 at some places.

Sgt, I'd recommend La Caponnina at Sportinia, it's about the furthest restaurant on the right as you look up the mountain and it has a WW2 Willys Jeep parked outside. You can ski to it but you might have to walk 50yds to get away from it. Well worth it though, nice people, free wifi and excellent food.
snow conditions
@@HeidiAmsterdam, cant imagine there being enough snow in between the trees yet this year?! I like the car idea, the one annoying thing is my mate who booked the holiday has already paid for lift passes in advance - never been a fan of doing that because of scenarios like this. Its through an operator so transfers also included. So at best we will probably do a day trip to Serre Chevalier or something. Better than nothing at least! As @@japes1275, has said the skiing that is there is pretty decent and the food good - not all lost Smile
snow report
Taken from Vialettea website and this basically confirms from Saturday link from Sauze to Sestriere will be open.

We communicate to all our customers that from Saturday, January 16 will open new facilities and slopes in.
The recent snowfall, though not abundant, together with the work of the installation of snowmaking will allow us to make available to new ski areas.
The following details the new openings:

Sestriere:
Facilities: Lift Silver Cloud, Pattemouche cable car, gondola Sestriere-Fraiteve
slopes 2, 68, the blue, and 9.

Sauze:
Appliances: Colo chairlift and lift Chamonier
slopes 29, 27 high, 27 low, boursailles Boulevard, 47

Claviere:
Appliances: chairlift Sagnalonga-Bercia
Slopes: 23, 90 high, 99, 99 bis, 99 courses

Ski pass:
33,00 EUR Vialattea
Montiluna: 25,00 EUR
Sansicario: 20,00 EUR
ski holidays
@Kutocer, Great news
- thanks for posting

Everybody else - fantastic feedback - thanks very much and I think we can call it a day. Looking forward to the trip - I'll post a postscript when I get back so anyone who give a flying one can see what I thought of the VL !!

snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
ALso forgot to add but have in the 15/16 post more might be open depending on how it goes next couple of days. Sounds like next week gonna be a good one!! See ya in Sauze Very Happy
latest report
http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/snowheads-personal-galleries/p34399-sestriere-13-jan-16.html

Everybody ready? Let's go boys and girls....
ski holidays
latest report
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stay open. I will happily carry snow up myself every lift back up if it helps Wink
latest report
Actually whoever is out there next, Id love to know how they did this, either with just enough natural snow or man made snow. I only ask this as the italian report said due to additional snowmaking they have managed to get this open. So to me it sounds like they either transported the man made snow up or moved the cannons up as I was informed cannons arent in the bowl normally.
ski holidays
...by scraping snow (and stones) off sacrificed pistes next door.

Loved the area - and managed a great week on-piste. Pity about the coverage. Really enjoyed it but still wouldnt risk booking months ahead (as I have to) so probably wont be back. Shame.

Good luck to those coming later in the season. snowHead
snow report
@sergeantslow, Im kinda in the same boat. Last minute is possible for me but I can understand why you wouldnt risk it. I was out the week after you so had similar conditions, maybe a bit worse due to wear and tear- the link to sestriere was open also. Found it really hard to judge the resort fairly - runs all seemed short but that was because most werent fully open. If its like Montgenvre when fully open then I would probably like it but not love it. I also didnt like the fact the sun didnt reach the runs in Sauze until lunchtime onwards mind you.

Other support for the area from my side are:
The lift pass is ~50 pounds cheaper than most other resorts of the same scale.
The food/drink prices are in some cases half that as french resorts.
Over the past 5 years snow record has been good or even excellent Early January-End March with this year as an exception which was horrifically bad.
Its just over an hour from Turin airport.
Town has some nice/cheap bars and restaurants and a nice old feel.

Putting these together it actually makes it a very good resort for those on a budget or those not too fussed about loads of fresh snow. You could actually end up spending a few hundred pounds less over the week. Seems like its a better bet than most Pyrenees resorts too. Maybe its just one to avoid in El Nino years ?! Id be scared to recommend it to friends mind you. Funnily my sister goes to Sestiere early April every year (for the last 3 years) and somehow has had perfect conditions so far! I will be interested to see how it goes this year for her!

Good luck all also - some snow finally at the end of the week looks very likely

snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy