Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel within the alps - Meribel to Chamonix and beyond

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

I see that this forum is used by predominantly Brits and many will either fly/train to the alps, ski then head straight back. This is easy with flights to GVA, ZRH, MXP etc and platoons of connecting shuttle buses.

What if one wants to go between a couple of resorts e.g. Meribel and Chamonix? Train options seem diabolical in FR, in contrast to CH. Is it possible to do this journey by bus/train without going back to Geneva (as I did last time for Tignes->Cham) or is it faster to just sit on the bus for 3h from Meribel->GVA and do it again for 2h GVA->Cham?

If that isn't hard enough, what about Meribel to Cervinia? As far as I can see my options are

(1) Continue the Chamonix journey above with buses/trains to Courmayeur/Aosta etc
(2) bus Meribel->GVA, train GVA->Martigny, bus Martigny -> Aosta, train+bus Aosta->Breuil-Cervinia
(3) bus Meribel->Chambery, TGV->Turin, public transit to Breuil-Cervinia

Not keen to rent a car due to having it sit idle for a week and the prospect of high alternative drop-off location charges

Any help appreciated Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would just rent a car from some suitable point - probably end up being an airport as they may end up being cheaper (due to scale) and then drop off at the same point. We use http://www.autoeurope.co.uk/ who usually end up in the low £200+ for about 10 days. Having just said my first sentence, I just put in albertville as a pick up point and could get a car for £120 for the week of the 23rd Jan!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My experience of French trains is that if you're not heading to or from Paris then it's rubbish. Trying to travel West to East in the South is just a nightmare. Buses might be better but I've never looked at them.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hmmm thanks for the early replies, Might consider the car for 2nd week - particularly handy if I end up hors-piste into the next valley (e.g. Breuil to Champoluc), so my mate can come pick me up.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Its hard for a reason,
There's a few of these big things called mountains in the way that effect where train lines and roads can be built.

Local bus services sound like your best bet. Another good way is to get transfer to Geneva airport, then start back up another valley with a different company. There are companies that go to Aosta.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Rusho, www.rome2rio.com
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm weary of rome2rio, because it says you can get a bus from Meribel, via Bourg St-Maurice to Pre St-Didier on to Cervinia via a road that is CLOSED in winter...

I think I'll use a rental car. Stuff slumming it on a bus
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Rusho, ?? no - it doesn't for me ... ? Does suggest driving the Petit San B however.

R2R is an amazing feat, but should be used for inspiration not ironclad guidance, IME:
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Travel light, look interesting and hitch.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:

Ha! Helps to be female. Not willing to do a Bruce Jenner just yet...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MadMountainMan wrote:
My experience of French trains is that if you're not heading to or from Paris then it's rubbish. Trying to travel West to East in the South is just a nightmare. Buses might be better but I've never looked at them.

We have a train here, it goes to Marseilles, that's it................
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:

Laughing Laughing Toofy Grin
Years ago, back in the nineties, we gave a lift to a French hitchhiker on our way to go climbing in Switzerland. He assured us he had the necessary documentation to cross the border but at the border he got arrested and we had our car turned inside out for an hour or so before we were allowed to go. "Interesting" pretty much covered that one! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tigne to cham is the same as meribel to cham as both journeys go through moutier (everything in that area go's through moutier) as in the winter it's the only real path into all tarantaise ski domains.
If you are starting and finishing at GVA it may be easier to take a car for the whole time without drop penalties, meribel to cham (after going through moutier) is toward annecy and then up through Megeve and it's probably only a couple of hours at non peak times.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy