Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need some footwear for snowy conditions...

Poster: A snowHead
Off to Les Arcs in a couple of weeks and need some footwear that will handle walking around in snowy conditions when not on the slopes. A review of my current footwear situation reveals I have a pair of big, hefty, clumpy leather walking boots and a pair of walking/approach shoes. The walking boots are too big and heavy to be crashing round in (and not good for air travel in general) and I've been out in snowy conditions in approach shoes before...end up with half a ton of snow getting in as they don't come up the ankle at all (cue: cold, wet feet and grumpy owner Laughing ).

So I'm thinking of getting something in between the two...i.e. boots but not ones that weigh as much as a fridge. I won't be using them for serious snow walking...just for walking around a snowy resort and then I'll also use them when out walking (post-winter) when I need something lighter than my big walking boots. Reasonably flexible on price - I don't mind spending to get something worthwhile but don't want to break the bank. If I can get something for < £50-60 that would be great but don't know if that's realistic.

Anyone got any recommendations from personal experience? Is it worth paying extra for Gore-Tex? I realise waterproof-ness is highly desirable if they're going to be used in snow but I've been having a look around online and (as usual!) there are hundreds of options with all sorts of prices and some reviews of quite expensive boots are not very favourable due to poor build quality and general leakiness, i.e. the waterproof-ness doesn't last more than a few weeks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sportpursuit would be a good bet, you should be able to find a pair of light walking boots that are waterproof for 50 to £100. I've bought a couple of pairs from them that were very good value.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Timberland standard boots. Or if you like higher tech then any of the beefed up training shoes (Merrel / Keen etc) would work. It's just a bit of snow and (usually) many pubs and restaurants, walking boots would be in my view a bit ott.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snow boots from Decathlon start from £20.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not quite what you were asking for, but these can be a great accessory for times of need:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CAMTOA-Anti-slip-Traction-Walking-Crampons/dp/B0168KEGIM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1452689587&sr=8-2&keywords=shoe+chains+for+snow&tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorel boots.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Save yourself some money by taking a trip to Decathlon and picking up some boots for around £10
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-593221-snow-boots
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-700-warm-mens-snow-boots-brown-id_8227784.html

These suited me well when I did the trans-Siberian railway in February last year. It was very cold, there was snow and ice, and we did a lot of walking - they were pretty comfortable / warm / dry throughout. Handled dirty salted slush in Kazan at 2degrees and walking across a frozen river in Harbin at -20 equally well.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I just use my regular waterproof merrel/keen/salomon light walking boots or trainers, whatever i have at the time. I tend to walk across wet fields quite a bit so always have a waterproof pair of something. Currently I have a pair of Keen boots, they're just coming up 2 1/2 years old, worn most days and are just starting to leak on occasions.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
philwig wrote:
Timberland standard boots...

I would be very very careful about taking timberlands. I have found myself falling all over on ice wearing Timberlands they have no grip whatsoever. Strangely my friend had a pair of Timberlands which looked exactly the same ( standard light brown yellow colour) he had good grip on ice. The soles looked identical but performed vastly differently.
He queried if mine were fakes but as they were bought in person from a Timberland shop it would be unlikely.
Mine were made in Indonesia ( I can't remember where his were made), but I'd Definatley avoid the Indonesian ones.
They were very waterproof though.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://forsake.com
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@betterinblack, I'd second that. I have a pair of Timberlands which are brilliant until they hit a wet tiled floor.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Timberlands rubbish on snow and ice generally.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheap pull on crampon things, readily available from Amazon will solve the problem of slipping.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another for Sorel boots
ski holidays
B**lls to special boots for snowy conditions -

I grew up in the era of "moon-boots" (never owned a pair) but did have a pair of leather snow boots for a while (which were totally unneccesary) ...

Just make sure that you have a high-sided pair of trainers which should be adequate for apres-ski walking, unless you're planning some serious off-piste excursions.

If the worst comes to the worst... 1)socks... 2)carrier-bags... 3)shoes when caught out by some serious resort-level snow snowHead snowHead
latest report
@geoffers,

Nee-naw. Incorrect.
latest report
twoodwar wrote:
Another for Sorel boots

And another
snow report
Themasterpiece wrote:
twoodwar wrote:
Another for Sorel boots

And another

And another. Grippy and warm

Carrier bags!!!
latest report
Worst comes to worst wee wee on your socks and put them over shoes for ice traction - Bear Grylls Skillz
ski holidays
What's so special about pee?
ski holidays
Karrimor boots from SportsDirect. £25-35 (non leather) waterproof and comfortable. They won't last forever obviously but easily a few years if only used in snowy conditions.

They do also have a proper snow shoe.

I've also seen some good things in TK Maxx this year including half price TNF snow boots!
snow report
Timberlands: I agree, they are utterly useless on snow. I think the rubber compound on the soles is just too hard.

Snow boots: Always seem like a good idea, but when I have taken them I've generally felt a bit of a twit walking around pavements bare of snow in dirty great snow boots. In addition, while they may or may not be marginally better at getting you from chalet to restaurant you then sit in an overheated room with your feet sweltering inside a pair of boots designed for -25. Personally, I've usually found that a pair of cheap hiking boots / high sided trainers are more than adequate for 99% of the time.
latest report
Proper waterproof (e.g Goretex) hiking boots are good. In slushy conditions - like when it was raining for days - they are good. But no good in deeper snow without gaiters.
ski holidays
I wear the same FatFace leather boots that I do at home. I put extra wax on them beforehand and they are more than adequate for a 5 min walk to the pub. I find proper walking boots too heavy and hot when I'm not actually hiking, and often resort pavements are either lower than the snow line or properly cleared, making heavy duty footwear overkill.

If I was out for long periods or regularly digging out cars/driveways/small children, I'd get some serious Sorels or something, but I'm not so I don't need them.
snow report
blahblahblah wrote:
Sorel boots.

+1. Last forever, warm waterproof and non-slip.
latest report
I love my Sorel's, however they are not the best designed boots for walking longer distances in!

Great for shovelling snow and driving around in and going to the shop, but walking a mile or so and feel blisters etc even though put some thermo moulded soles in!

And nothing works in black ice, hard packed icy snow apart from ice track crampons or equivalent.

Deep powder snow when I walk over the fields then it's my mountain walking boots and gaiters, and gaiters are the most underated bit of gear ever!

So good pair of boots and gaiters is the answer to your question!

And if the snow is not deep you don't wear the gaiters!
snow report
@Hells Bells, I would have said that until the end of last season when my 2 year old Sorels (8 months of wear for 30mins walking a day max) split on the rubber bits - a bike puncture repair kit will extend the life - but I do not expect to do that with a premium product with a price tag to match.

Next time I will go for the lookelikies that are available in France - but I don't know the name........yet
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/snowpine-mens-snow-boots-id_8346679.html I have just got these, haven't used them in snow yet but they are very warm and look like they will have decent grip in icy conditions.
ski holidays
Yup, another vote for a good pair of GoreTex hiking boots. Had both Asolo and Scarpa. The Asolo boots were really good - good traction, warm, and the sole lasted a long time. Too early to really judge the Scarpa boots, but they might actually be even better than the Asolo.
ski holidays
@chocksaway, unlucky. I've had mine for about 5 years now.
latest report
pam w wrote:
What's so special about pee?

It is only way to get the socks wet when otherwise it would be too cold to melt the snow without freezing your hands. Wet socks grip.
snow conditions
Ah, I see. It's just wet socks that grip. Doesn't have to be pee. if it's very cold you could end up stuck fast. I'm reading an account by Nicholas Vanier of his participation in the Yukon Quest dog sled race. He describes setting sled anchors in the snow then peeing on them to set them firmly in ice. but it was minus 40. Wouldn't be too effective in Meribel at zero.
ski holidays
Sports Direct is always good for a bargain - can't go wrong for a ridiculous £16!

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-casual-mens-snow-boots-143560?colcode=14356005&src=google&gclid=CPD5nqHMv8oCFeTnwgod7rYHdw&gclsrc=aw.ds
latest report
pam w wrote:
Ah, I see. It's just wet socks that grip. Doesn't have to be pee. if it's very cold you could end up stuck fast. I'm reading an account by Nicholas Vanier of his participation in the Yukon Quest dog sled race. He describes setting sled anchors in the snow then peeing on them to set them firmly in ice. but it was minus 40. Wouldn't be too effective in Meribel at zero.

Well there is also the salt content Very Happy
snow conditions
I wouldn't fancy walking around smelling of pee though. Or taking them off! Confused

I've got Pajar snowboots, I love them!
ski holidays
I use walking boots.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy