Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When to 'tut'

Poster: A snowHead
@Ski lots, the best one I have seen is our very own flangesax, his ESPC is inspired! If that was an Olympic event we would have a tidy gold make no mistake Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Quote:

@Ski lots, for the benefit of us who haven't been taught to carry our skis "correctly", what do you consider to be the correct method?

For those who have missed it - this is the definitive "Guide to International Ski Carrying" snowHead snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/sU5cftDHOqo
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can't believe this thread got to page 2 without having a mention for the ****** that kick, run over, stand on etc tour skis in lift lines.

Almost exclusively, it will be someone with a ski with a huge, stupid, metal cap on their tips.

I've stopped tutting and now just go for a differing level of pole whacking...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski lots wrote:

• Snow ploughing on and off chair lifts (other than those at the disposal of beginners).
Tutting? That should be a Capital Offence.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DavidYacht wrote:
- The noise at the Folie Douce (the tut will not be heard above the Drum and Bass)

Tut! THose that don't know the difference between D&B and house music Very Happy NehNeh

I love a good tut, it's part of the enjoyment for me. People that feel the need to barge in the queues at lifts (to get themselves to the top a whole 30 seconds sooner) and stand on the tips of you skis (even if mine are cheapy rentals) are my current annoyance. PLus blocking of lifts, waiting for friends inside the lift zone or not moving out of the traps because you don't want to sit next to a stranger.

For special tutting (such as 2 or 3 occurrences at the same time) I usually mutter 'prick' instead.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
geoffers wrote:
For those who have missed it - this is the definitive "Guide to International Ski Carrying"

Always makes me smile. Fish Hook and Pimp Stick are my go to options, hopefully this won't open me up to multiple sH tuts Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Jumping on to a piste with little regard for those making progress down it.

As I am currently nursing a dislocated elbow thanks to having been the landing pad for this last week I can promise you that it has the potential for eliciting much more than a tut!

Can I add the crowd who arrive last to the ski bus stop but pile on first especially but not exclusively at peak times in peak weeks.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Kooky, I find the EPC much less effective nowadays with composite poles. Aluminium ones were much more satisfying.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

I find this diagram accurate
I find this diagram accurate
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Two to add for me

On arrival at the top of the lift, the hoards of people who like to stop and block the way out to the piste for others.

People who tut so loud I have to turn up my iPod REALLY loud so I can't hear them tutting, so I can then be totally oblivious to everyone else on the slopes rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For me it's people who just click their skis off and leave them flat on the floor (along with dozens of others) completely blocking the access to a restaurant or bar when there's a perfectly good ski rack nearby.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Isn't there an App for this?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[quote="DavidYacht"]- When there is a long queue for a chairlift, people letting a six or eight pack go up with only one or two people, so that they can go up with all of their mates
- Pole planting in lift queues

Pole planting is very useful in queues when madame is trying to force junior through the 5cm gap between the skiers in front in their belief that junior and then they can get on the lift all of 1 minute earlier to allow them to stand faffing at the exit for that bit longer!!!

A main tut for me, verging on a hurrumph, and at times a for fox sake or similar, is the forgetting that when holing ski poles you have extended your reach by an extra 3 -4 feet and then pointing waving in a loose direction whilst not taking any notice of those who are around. It can be like trying to ski passed a sea anemone at times Mad

Definitely concur with the I'll let 3 half full chairs go in front just so that I can sit with a couple of mates on our own exclusive half filled chair and sod the rest of the queue.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@knackered knees, Agreed, a pole firmly planted between the legs of a thrusting madame is one of life's great pleasures.

Quote:

Definitely concur with the I'll let 3 half full chairs go in front just so that I can sit with a couple of mates on our own exclusive half filled chair and sod the rest of the queue.
I agree in principle, but...... For most people skiing is a holiday and an opportunity to spend time with family and friends and not necessarily about maximising every moment of skiing. I'd rather be sitting chatting to one of my friends than a stranger. To what degree one allows 'lift innefficiencies' rather depends upon the number of people queuing. In recent ski trips the queues have been short enough that it's never a problem and if I particlarly want to sit with friends on the lift then we sort it out in the collecting ring rather than after the starting stalls. I'm not sure why France doesn't have singles lines.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Foxtrot, yes it is nice to be able to chat, but when their is a massive queue and lifts are leaving with spaces because some don't want to be parted from their group for a few minutes the this is to the detriment of all behind. There could be a double tut here - one for the passengers and one for the lifties for not ensuring spaces are filled. Smile

I now ski with, or should I say follow, my teenage sons and we can usually work out how we can get a lift together and not let spaces go. As you say its a bit of a jiggle in the collecting ring. Of course that is if and when they want to be seen with me.
ski holidays
I did slightly more than tut when in a full line in the traps i shuffled forward on my board to take my alloted space waiting for the chair to come round only to find that once through the trap some numpty decided to change lanes from 3 positions away to be beside his pal. net result me initially scooped almost into his lap but ultimately deposited on the snow and having to lie prone to let chair go over my head. liftie didn't even stop lift nor did aforesaid numpty wait at top of chair to apologise or even check i was OK.
ski holidays
Quote:

Pff they play House and Dance music, no DnB in sight

@Bennisboy, The difference being?
ski holidays
Gordyjh wrote:
Quote:

Pff they play House and Dance music, no DnB in sight

@Gordyjh The sounds that come out the speakers NehNeh
ski holidays
Quote:

Drum and Bass

House and Dance music
[/quote]
Equally tuttable snowHead [quote]
snow report
Quote:

Snow ploughing on and off chair lifts (other than those at the disposal of beginners).

much worse than this - sharp turn from right side of chair to left side of exit forcing people in the middle to take evasive action just so you can avoid a couple of skate steps. You run out straight then organise yourself once everyone has cleared the exit ramp you tool.

Quote:

Pole planting in lift queues

Not having this. When you have some sharp-elbowed scrote all over your ski tails in a half-arsed attempt to squeeze past in a queue a pole planted solidly between his tips is the best way of dampening his enthusiasm.

and how about ski instructors leading a group of 14 six-year olds who insist on taking a line that uses every inch of the piste from right to left rather than leave a narrow channel at one side? Just because they can do it doesn't mean they should.

But the most infuriating for me are people skiing much faster than their skills justify and still leaving too narrow a margin when they pass people. more than a tut required really
snow conditions
skiers who like to point with there poles without looking if there about to take someone eye out.

skiers who do that crouch position thing when there going about 10mph Confused
latest report
Gordyjh wrote:

That's like asking the difference between country & western and blues NehNeh

jedster wrote:
But the most infuriating for me are people skiing much faster than their skills justify and still leaving too narrow a margin when they pass people. more than a tut required really

Not just those that ski above their level, but anyone who passes close. You frequently see people (quite often locals...usually on twin tips) battering down a piste and going to close to obvious learners. Plenty of them also seem to feel the need to pass on the 'blind side'
snow report
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
Gordyjh wrote:

That's like asking the difference between country & western and blues NehNeh

jedster wrote:

Not just those that ski above their level, but anyone who passes close. You frequently see people (quite often locals...usually on twin tips) battering down a piste and going to close to obvious learners. Plenty of them also seem to feel the need to pass on the 'blind side'

not to entirely disagree with you, but surely if you pass a skier on there blind side that means the skier is heading away from you, and by definition if they're a beginner there not going to be able to change direction quicker than the more experienced skier is able to compensate for?
ski holidays
eddiethebus wrote:
skiers who do that crouch position thing when there going about 10mph Confused

I quite frequently do that, but only on flats. It does actually help to keep going that extra bit longer before you have to start skating/pushing

One thing that makes me tut on the slops is the damn lift queues in Europe. Pure and utter chaos. People always trying to push in ahead of you. Dog eat dog world!
ski holidays
[/quote] I agree in principle, but...... For most people skiing is a holiday and an opportunity to spend time with family and friends and not necessarily about maximising every moment of skiing. I'd rather be sitting chatting to one of my friends than a stranger. To what degree one allows 'lift innefficiencies' rather depends upon the number of people queuing. In recent ski trips the queues have been short enough that it's never a problem and if I particlarly want to sit with friends on the lift then we sort it out in the collecting ring rather than after the starting stalls. I'm not sure why France doesn't have singles lines.[/quote]

Tut,tut,tut.

People with a different opinion to me on a snow based forum. Very Happy
latest report
My particular ire is directed to the users of the queue at St Martin 2, which I understand has now been replaced. I shall hopefully miss the oportunity to Tut.

Please accept my appologies to failing to understand the nuances of Drum and Bass ... to me it is just noise ... but then the music of the 70's seemed much the same to my parents.
snow report
Circusthing wrote:
Quote:
I agree in principle, but...... For most people skiing is a holiday and an opportunity to spend time with family and friends and not necessarily about maximising every moment of skiing. I'd rather be sitting chatting to one of my friends than a stranger. To what degree one allows 'lift innefficiencies' rather depends upon the number of people queuing. In recent ski trips the queues have been short enough that it's never a problem and if I particlarly want to sit with friends on the lift then we sort it out in the collecting ring rather than after the starting stalls. I'm not sure why France doesn't have singles lines.

Tut,tut,tut.

People with a different opinion to me on a snow based forum. Very Happy
or at least those that do not have the grace to recognize that I am right and change their opinionion Laughing
latest report
eddiethebus wrote:
not to entirely disagree with you, but surely if you pass a skier on there blind side that means the skier is heading away from you, and by definition if they're a beginner there not going to be able to change direction quicker than the more experienced skier is able to compensate for?

I meant blind side in the same sense as rugby i.e the narrowest side Smile Also the problem is more that they pass close, which unnerves a skier lacking confidence and throws them off balance. I've seen it happen and I've been on the receiving end of it. In most cases there's no need for an experienced and fast skier to be within 3ft of a novice (unless the novice is making sudden, erratic movements).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kb36 wrote:
I did slightly more than tut when in a full line in the traps i shuffled forward on my board to take my alloted space waiting for the chair to come round only to find that once through the trap some numpty decided to change lanes from 3 positions away to be beside his pal. net result me initially scooped almost into his lap but ultimately deposited on the snow and having to lie prone to let chair go over my head. liftie didn't even stop lift nor did aforesaid numpty wait at top of chair to apologise or even check i was OK.

My experience of this was on the Derby chair in Les Arcs when an oik on a snowboard vaulted over the gates and pushed me into the arms of the liftie as the chair came round in his effort to get on the chair. The quick thinking liftie dropped me and stopped the lift, hauled the oik off, helped me up and lifted me almost ceremoniously onto the chair and we continued upwards to cheering and applause from people in the queue. I don't know what happened to the oik! Embarassed
ski holidays
@eddiethebus,
Quote:

Completely agree, and as @SnoodyMcFlude, says it isn't level dependent. If you are passing someone in front with a significant difference in speed I think you should take as wide a line as possible. Few things are more disconcering (even to a crusty old intermediate like me) than have someone whip past you a few feet away when you had zero awareness they were even there. Whether there is an actual risk of collision is irrelevant. The shock is enough to put you off your stride and cause you to miss/abort a turn. It's just inconsiderate.
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@eddiethebus,
Quote:

Completely agree, and as @SnoodyMcFlude, says it isn't level dependent. If you are passing someone in front with a significant difference in speed I think you should take as wide a line as possible. Few things are more disconcering (even to a crusty old intermediate like me) than have someone whip past you a few feet away when you had zero awareness they were even there. Whether there is an actual risk of collision is irrelevant. The shock is enough to put you off your stride and cause you to miss/abort a turn. It's just inconsiderate.

ESF guy did that to mrsthecramps on Chardons in Tignes last week. He was quite indignant when she caught up with him at the sache lift, I never realised her French was so good.
What does "Stupide étron gras" mean anyway?

Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
thecramps wrote:

What does "Stupide étron gras" mean anyway?

Madeye-Smiley

Google translate seems to give a good stab at the meaning. Where did she learn French like that!
latest report
@ster, she likes French films. She can speak decent French anyway, but I think while she was off work last year she watched a lot of French cinema so it's likely a quote from somewhere, though it's not in every film that someone calls someone else a "stupid fat turd".

Must've been a 60's film.

Madeye-Smiley
latest report
@thecramps, excellent I will keep this phrase very handy for future encounters Laughing
latest report
@Kiters, mrsthecramps deserves all the credit. I will pass it on. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
We used to have a teacher that tutted in series at 2 tuts/sec when looking at our schoolwork. We called him Skippy.

When he hit a bad student and did it faster we called him something else...... something that 14 year old boys did a lot but never induced blindness.
snow report
I'm having 'stuide étron gras'

Merci
snow conditions
Definitely one to add to my O level repertoire. Im sure I would have paid a lot more attention of they'd taught us useful phrases like this one.
ski holidays
Quote:

eddiethebus wrote:

skiers who do that crouch position thing when there going about 10mph

I quite frequently do that, but only on flats. It does actually help to keep going that extra bit longer before you have to start skating/pushing

Ah now. Some physics for you - drag is proportional to the square of your speed. That means the tuck is vastly more important at higher speeds. You should be tucking earlier before you decelerate to 10 mph then adopting a nonchalant upright position as you finally slow down. What you do is definitely a stylistic faux pas you wouldn't get a tut from me just a condescending gentle head shake - after all it is no inconvenience to me
Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

In most cases there's no need for an experienced and fast skier to be within 3ft of a novice (unless the novice is making sudden, erratic movements).

Absolutely. My point about skill level was just to say that as you get better you can ski faster and still safely adjust so that you never get within 3ft of another skier. Some fast skiers of lower ability end up very close to other skiers because they cant make quick adjustments to speed and line when they need to.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy