Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montgenevre 24 Jan 2016

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all been looking to get away at the end of the month and saw a deal in Montgenevre. Me and my partner are mid fifties pretty fair weather ski iers looking for cruisy blue and easy reds. Any advice on the kind of ski ing there is would be most helpful
Thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@kabby, The skiing in Montgenevre meets your requirements exactly snowHead Laughing We have been there a few times with our children and and it is one of my favourite resorts. I would snap up that deal right away. Which accommodation are you staying in?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Snowymum for the quick reply. We have booked chalet Vannoir with crystal, getting pretty good marks for food etc so really looking forward to going now!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Glad that you have been able to book it. I do not know that chalet as we self-catered with Peak retreats but I'm sure you will like the resort and ski area.

Whilst many of the reds are straightforward there are a couple that are more challenging. There is a steep section of red that is sometimes unpisted at Roche d'Aigle if you ski that way to Claviere. Only do it if you are confident on difficult reds..there is an alternative way to Claviere via the green at the bottom and the reds over there and coming back are fine. On the Montgenevre side there is plenty of scenic blue cruising.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've stayed at the Vannoir: short walk downhill to the slopes. Compact rooms but good to have meals cooked. Fingers crossed the other guests are nice too.

First day you can hit the slopes from 1pm on the day before the pass is supposedly from.

Hope the snow hangs around for you now.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks to you both for taking the time to reply, thanks for the advice on the red run to Claviere snowymum, we do want to get out and about and get some miles under are belt!!
Cheers Kabooooom! As it's an early flight out, half day might be an option
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you get a bit bored of the blues and reds then get the bus to http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Tourism-g219218-Briancon_Hautes_Alpes_Provence-Vacations.html for a wander round while you're in that neck of the woods.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks gad are you talking about Serre Chevalier? Is it an easy journey from Montgenevre? Also is it possible to ski/ bus to Sestriere or Sauz d ouix? Any advice appreciated
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
usually but I gather lots of lifts / slopes are closed at the moment which may still be a lack of snow or I've also read conjecture about early season conditions being poor such that staff were laid off.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@kabby, You will probably find enough to keep you happy in Montgenevre and Claviere for the week which is the Mont de Lune pass. It looks as though the snow depths are now reasonable there. The conditions can vary a lot between Sestriere/Sauze and Montgenevre so I would look at the individual snow reports of the Milky way resorts.

I think that pass may include one day in Serre Chevalier or larger milky way but can't remember. However unless things have changed since our last visit there isn't much in the way of public transport to other resorts. You'd definitely need a car to get to Sestriere I think.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks again all, for the above advice. Really appreciate it. Never been to Montgenevre so really looking forward to it. Actually being a bit greedy and sneaking off to St Johann next week for a three day trip!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ask your crystal reps if they would organise a coach trip to sestriere and sauze for the day. We stayed at claviere and it took some time to ski and lift to sestriere. Last year we paid 20 euros and had a fantastic day on the other side of the via lettea , the coach dropped us off at sestriere , we then skied over to sauze then back to sestriere.
The red run from montgenevre to Claviere is weather dependent! I have skied it twice. The top is like looking over an abyss! It gets quite mogulled at the top. at the bottom it does flatten out and you may have to pole ....a lot! Enjoy its a great area.
Some lovely cheap Italian huts at claviere, with decent loo facilities, la coche does fab hot chocolate . beware some of the loos on the montgenevre pistes...minging! X
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm heading there with the family next month for the first time at half term. A couple of questions: Are the long green runs from the top proper flattish greens? I'm trying to get my wife back on skis and its reputation for good beginner slopes is one of the reasons we picked the resort snowHead

I've been on two early trips this season but haven't had my steep fix yet, is there some good steep/couloir action in Montgenevre? snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Guernseyfreerider, The green runs on the north facing side are flat wide and easy. I expect your wife will find the blues to her liking too.

There is a green on the south side that comes down near Hameau d'obelisque that is more of a narrow track.

Hopefully someone else can help on your last line.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Guernseyfreerider, We went to Montgenevre last year for half term, off to Sauze D'Oulx this half term.

If there is the snow there, the black down into Claviere is good, but you have a long trek back round to do it again (personally we prefered the Claviere slopes, less crowded.) To get there you have to get the Roc D'Aigle chair, which accesses a nice Red on the Montgenevre side (my favorite on the french side.)

Nice black half way up the north facing side (on the left as you look south.) There was another black lower down on the (on the left haan side) but that was never open.

On the south facing side (on the left looking North) there was a steep black which we never did, and (on the right )couple of fabled blacks (which weren't open when we were there, lack of snow,) which others in our chalet had said were good.

In Claviere there is an old Black which is not lift accessed (which one of the instructor pointed out,) which I thought we might try if we can get over to there from Sauze.
snow report
south side behind hammeau has blue run that has one narrow steep bit that gets slushy later in the year
if you go up tabard and behind mountain you will have a very quiet run to Claviere and the old 2 man chair that brings you back up to the green to hammeau.
I believe since I was there there is drag lift from monte valley back to hammeau now
may get there myself next years as a 50s coupe, with none skiing wife
latest report
I'm looking to go here in February for the first time. Can someone explain the lift pass options to me please?

It looks like there are 3 options :

Vialattea
Monts de la Lune
Montgenevre

I realise that the Montgenevre pass is the smallest of them all (95km in total), but on the website it only allows me to select either 1 day, or entire season for this particular pass.

Surely that can't be right?
ski holidays
kabby wrote:
Thanks gad are you talking about Serre Chevalier? Is it an easy journey from Montgenevre? Also is it possible to ski/ bus to Sestriere or Sauz d ouix? Any advice appreciated

From both to be honest and you can just get a local bus from either, it's worth an afternoon of your time if you're in the area.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy