Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does Respect The Mountain Campaign increase global warming?

Poster: A snowHead
Very interesting article in today's Daily Mail (I know, I know, the wife buys it, I just picked it up, honest). Evidently new research suggests that planting trees actually increases greenhouse gas. The problem isn't CO2 (as we all know, trees improve the CO2 situation), it's the vast amounts of methane that forests give off. The article suggests that trees are, on balance, worse for the overall level of greenhouse gas.

If this is true (and hey, it's in the DM so it must be) it means that the green wristbanded campaign to plant more trees may actually be contributing to global warming and rising freezing points.

Of course, we haven't yet factored in the emissions of the plastics factory that makes the things! wink

I'll go see if I can find the article online.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JohnHill, trees store up water as well, which is the major green house gas. Besides, I like them. wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It has to be said that occasionally I get too intimately involved with them, on skis!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
laundryman, you tree-hugger, you wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The BBC have a report on the article here. The abstract for the original article in Nature. The abstract suggests they've done a lab and field study of plant biochemistry.

Nature and New Scientist both publish on a Thursday, and I imagine press releases go out before hand - Nature is peer-reviewed new science, New Scientist is more newsy and the articles are rather different in character.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 12-01-06 20:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
plants do use CO2 (carbon dioxide) during photosythesis, but you must remember that they also respire so they do churn out CO2 as well. I can't remember what the balance is though Puzzled

Ian Hopkinson, your link just points back to the BBC article?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dan, well spotted - I've corrected it...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cheers, interesting. It doesn't say when the research was, but the article was first submitted to Nature July 2005.

But how does that compare to the backside of a cow, doesn't one fart from a cow produce some ridculous amount of greenhouse gases Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Luckily the ice age is coming again so we'll actually need some more greenhouse gas to help make the temperatures slightly more pleasant and the snow quality spot on.

Anyone got a green wristband... apparently they make great brake retainers.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just for the record:

Tree planting financed from the environmental levy (50p) on Ski Club of Great Britain subscriptions, and funds allocated from the Respect the Mountain merchandise, is managed by The Woodland Trust.

The Woodland Trust, which is a long-established registered charity, makes no claim for CO2 reduction associated with tree planting. This is consistent with the analysis of Friends of the Earth and others, at present.

Two other more commercial tree-planting organisations were rejected by the SCGB for funding, specifically because they did make claims as to the CO2 'balancing' or reduction achieved.

I personally handled the screening of the above organisations and initial contact with the Woodland Trust on behalf of the SCGB, and I think the funds are going to an excellent organisation.

The Respect the Mountain scheme and its marketing is handled independently of the Club's Environmental Working Group, that I'm a member of, which wasn't involved in the scheme's origination.

Ian Hopkinson is quite right, above, to draw attention to the importance of peer review in the publication of scientific research. I've not read the Daily Mail article that JohnHill refers to, so an initial question is whether it's based on peer-reviewed science?

In my view, tree planting is an excellent thing for the skiing community to be involved in, for all kinds of reasons. Trees in the Alps provide essential protection from avalanches, and prevention of soil erosion. The Woodland Trust plants trees in many locations across the UK, and properly manages the woodlands concerned. I think it's an excellent charity.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There was quite a bit on this on the radio last night. This is a quick summary of what I remember hearing.

1) Yes, it's a very surprising finding that methane production was detected from the plants under test, as previously it had been thought that methane was primarily produced under anaerobic conditions (more research money please to confirm the findings);
2) this study examined 9 plants, none of them trees (more research money please to extend to more plants);
3) extrapolating the result to a global scale would be completely irresponsible (at least without a lot more research money having been spent first);
4) the study did nothing about measuring how much CO2 was used in the process (anyone wand to fund a study to to a proper carbon balance study?).

I think the commentator felt that further research was merited Wink Laughing

I find point 4 pretty staggering actually. Just from simple logic I would expect the CO2 consumption to be much greater than the methane emission - as wood is largely carbon, that carbon has to come from somewhere, so unless the tree is absorbing a lot of organic matter through the roots, which (if my 'O'-level biology was not completely off target) it doesn't, so it has to come from the atmosphere - unless someone shows that trees are dab hands at nuclear synthesis too Wink . So, unless CH4 is a much worse contributor to global warming than CO2, the tree still causes a net reduction of greenhouse gas (until it's chopped down and burned).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

So, unless CH4 is a much worse contributor to global warming than CO2, the tree still causes a net reduction of greenhouse gas

That's the question i asked, i can't remember the balance of the equation as to PHOTOSYNTHESIS vs REPSIRATION of plants, if i had sometime i'd have a look on google but don't.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

the tree still causes a net reduction of greenhouse gas (until it's chopped down and burned).

and if it happens to be a rubber tree we can make more wristbands too.

I can't help feeling the research is wrong when it comes to trees - plants in a lab maybe, but not trees. Far rather see them than no trees or more concrete anyway.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The difficulty that bona fide tree-planting bodies have, in giving absolute assurances of CO2 reduction, is partly based on the destiny of the tree. If left to rot, the tree will release its carbon back to the atmosphere. If burnt, likewise. If turned into building materials or furniture it may still, eventually, be burned or decompose.

As a fellow member of the Environmental Group said in a meeting, there's a finite amount of carbon on the planet. You can't create it, or destroy it. By extracting fossils fuels from underground - where they are effectively inert and harmless - and turning them into CO2 you have a hell of a problem in returning the carbon to a harmless form.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
coal for example is a huge 'bank' of carbon.. from millions of years ago.. we dig it up and burn it all in the blink of an eye (in geological terms) so you have to expect some king of reaction.....
what about the decomposition of the leaf mass from trees.. what gas would that give off?
latest report
'Leaf gas'

No, as far as I know - CO2.

There's a paradox here. We believe that felling rain forests is an eco disaster, but the Daily Mail now tells us (according to JH) that planting them is bad news too.

I understand that the Daily Mail is produced from felled trees. Maybe they have a vested interest in that side of the coin!
snow report
Leaves decomposing in a stagnant pond produce methane - aka will-o-the-wisp. Fond memories of boy scout camps trapping the bubbles in jam jars and igniting them after dark. This echos what was the 'conventional' wisdom - - that methane was an anaerobic product. Cow farts and the like. Until now......

The new reports that trees and plants can and do produce significant quantities of the stuff indicate to me just how little we really know about our biosphere.
snow report
My guess would be that the Daily Mail and BBC News articles are based on the same press release produced by Nature.

I've read the full article (but it isn't my field), they don't appear to make any explicit mention of what goes on with CO2 - presumably since this would be well understood for those in the field. They do comment that the discovery helps explain some other observations (unexpectedly high methane levels above the Amazonian rainforest, for example) and that it consistent with at least some current models of methane fluxes.

Obviously they indicate areas for further research wink
snow report
You're all barking up the wrong tree....

http://www.cgfi.org/materials/articles/2005/april_01_05.htm

http://www.koshland-science-museum.org/exhibitgcc/causes04.jsp
latest report
i guess they will be banning real ale soon then Shocked
snow conditions
Quote:

So, unless CH4 is a much worse contributor to global warming than CO2, the tree still causes a net reduction of greenhouse gas

It is about 20x more potent than CO2 off the top of my head.

The Nature study is interesting, and worrying, why hasn't it been noted before? Also they noted methane production increased with temperature which means it may be a +ve feedback mechanism.

There are also two commentary pieces on the letter in the same issue

here http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v439/n7073/full/439128a.html
and
here http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v439/n7073/full/439148a.html

which discuss around the findings - one comment is that it may explain the large plumes of methane seen above tropical forests by satelites.

Note can't gaurantee the links will work as we have an institutional subscription to Nature so I got full text of the Letter and the News and News and Views commentaries.

There is also a piece here http://www.realclimate.org/index.php?p=236 giving a climate scientists view of the work
snow conditions
GrahamN wrote:

1) Yes, it's a very surprising finding that methane production was detected from the plants under test, as previously it had been thought that methane was primarily produced under anaerobic conditions (more research money please to confirm the findings);
2) this study examined 9 plants, none of them trees (more research money please to extend to more plants);
3) extrapolating the result to a global scale would be completely irresponsible (at least without a lot more research money having been spent first);
4) the study did nothing about measuring how much CO2 was used in the process (anyone wand to fund a study to to a proper carbon balance study?).

I think the commentator felt that further research was merited Wink Laughing

It's easy to be cynical (and I am often am on calls for further research) but all the best research provokes as many questions as answers.
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
As a fellow member of the Environmental Group said in a meeting, there's a finite amount of carbon on the planet. You can't create it, or destroy it. By extracting fossils fuels from underground - where they are effectively inert and harmless - and turning them into CO2 you have a hell of a problem in returning the carbon to a harmless form.

If we kill lots of animals and plants, and bury them in great piles, we can convert much more carbon into it's harmless form.
latest report
laundryman, if we cover those piles in snow we can have more inner city ski areas.
latest report
Dave, the impression I got from the letter was that it hadn't been seen before because the flux of methane coming off a single plant was exceedingly small compared to the background levels of methane in the air and that there wasn't an known aerobic metabolic pathway that was known to produce methane.

laundryman, but they'd decompose and release their carbon as carbon dioxide into the atmosphere...
snow conditions
Ian Hopkinson, my thought was to emulate the process by which fossil fuels were formed, so that we can return the distribution of carbon - between "harmless" fossils and "harmful" substances in the biosphere, such as CO2 and living organisms - to whatever David Goldsmith considers a natural state of affairs.
ski holidays
Quote:
... to whatever David Goldsmith considers a natural state of affairs.

Thanks, laundryman, that's most flattering!

Well, a natural state of affairs certainly doesn't include snowHeads ... mind you, our 'global coooooling' effect is exemplary.
ski holidays
laundryman, I wonder what the conversion ratios are like i.e. how much biomass is required to produce one tonne of oil and how much CO2/CH4 is generated in the process, regardless of that I can see some serious technical challenges wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
laundryman wrote:
It's easy to be cynical (and I am often am on calls for further research) but all the best research provokes as many questions as answers.

Absolutely - and as an ex-research-chemist (but not an ex-PM Smile ) we of course need more of it Very Happy . I was actually having a little fun with that, and the bracketed sections were all my interpolations - but there was a statement that more research was needed into it. I still find it staggering that the effect on CO2 was not measured at the same time - you would get that information out of basic GLC analysis of the growing atmosphere.

As for burying biomass, that's pretty much guaranteed to produce CH4 (anaerobic decomposition) - so I can only assume your comment was made in jest. It would be clearly better in the long term (i.e. decades) for the environment for us to be using some form of bio-diesel produced from sustainable growth rather than from mineral deposits, which I'm guessing take many hundreds of years (at the least) to be reformed.
latest report
This latest article by George Monbiot makes very interesting and relevant reading for those interested in the relationship between tree planting and saving the planet ... and/or its snows:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/climatechange/story/0,12374,1687979,00.html
snow report
The authors of the original Nature paper have issued a clarification none of the conclusions have changed but they make a small comment that the carbon sequestration effect of reforestation is far larger than the methane generation effect which they identified in their paper.
latest report
I think this is pretty scandalous to be honest.

In the clarification, the scientists blame the media for misrepresenting their original findings:

Quote:
The most frequent misinterpretation we find in the media is that emissions of methane from plants are responsible for global warming...Furthermore, our discovery led to intense speculation that methane emissions by plants could diminish or even outweigh the carbon storage effect of reforestation programs with important implications for the Kyoto protocol, where such programs are to be used in national carbon dioxide (CO2) reduction strategies.

But look at the scientists' own press release which states that their discovery "is important not just for plant researchers but also for understanding the connection between global warming and increased greenhouse gas production" and claims that:

Quote:
The scientists' first guesses are between 60 and 240 million tonnes of methane per year. That means that about 10 to 30 percent of present annual methane production comes from plants.

My guess would be that the scientists over-egged the presentation of their research to the media (and thus to the public) in order to make a big splash, but have now been reined in!

Given that global warming is about the science of uncertainty, it is no wonder the public grows increasingly confused when the experts feed us poorly-supported and conflicting certainties...
ski holidays
DavidS, I did think the opening paragraph was a bit disingeneous, particularly since they'd ommitted to make any comment on the carbon sequestration side of the equation. However, having been close to this sort of process in the past I can say that there can be quite substantial differences between what the scientist says, what the scientist's institution press officer says and what the newspaper prints!

I think the referees for the original paper should have picked up on the carbon sequestration question.
snow conditions
You're right - probably not fair to blame the individuals, but it certainly makes sense to criticise the institutions.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy