Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Multiple Impact Helmet

Poster: A snowHead
As a beginner who has a few low impact falls now and again hearing about multiple impact helmets sounds quite interesting.

For a snowboarder (and occasional skiier) who doesn't tend to go too fast and is still firmly glued to on, rather than off piste, the type of impacts I suspect I'm likely to have will be at low speed, but perhaps reasonably frequent Sad

With this in mind, would a multiple impact helmet make sense for someone like me?

Finally I know POC and Grio both make one, are there any others I should consider?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

perhaps reasonably frequent

reasonably frequent bangs on the head whether you are helmeted or not surely isn't a plan. The idea is not to hit your head at all but, just in case it happens, some (most) wear a lid to reduce the potential damage.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No but my point is, an experienced boarder/skiier is more likely to wear a helmet in case of that one off freak event. A beginner (snowboarder in particular) often has a large number of very slow speed (or often static) seemingly harmless impacts.

I've never not worn a helmet (but always a rental) and I expect I will continue to do so as I push myself onto new runs etc. Whilst of course head impacts are best avoided, they may happen and I'm just wondering now I know this technology exists would it not make sense to take advantage of it?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@vjmehra, no its a technique issue. Beginner boarders do fall over quite a bit but at low speed its your shoulders, ar5e, back, arms, hips that are going to take the impact. Your head shouldn't be taking repeated hits.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's not!!!

But it could...

Even for 2 impacts (which is probably likely) does it not make sense, on the basis that a conventional helmet should be replaced after every impact?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@vjmehra, if you are talking about MIPS, it isn't designed for multiple impacts, its designed for multi-directional impacts (rotational forces inside the head do lots of damage), something that's unlikely to come into play while learning to snowboard. Or, at least, it shouldn't. Use a normal helmet and spend the few hundred quid on lessons.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not MIPS, helmets such as the Giro Combyn and POC Receptor+

Perhaps I'm not explaining things properly, but all I'm saying is that a beginner is likely to fall more often, the above two helmets specifically state they are designed for multiple small impacts, rather than 1 large impact such as a conventional helmet.

For a beginner, therefore I thought of of the above two may make sense, so I was wondering if there were any others, or just those two?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Those helmets have a soft expanded foam liner (that returns to its original shape) compared to most other helmets that have a rigid expanded foam liner (and hard outer shell). You need a decent blow to cause the shell to deform enough to permanently compress the foam. Its going to be fine after dropping it or small knocks.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep which to me seems sensible for a beginner, in that I'm more likely to have small knocks rather than one big one!

Well that's what I assume anyway Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Possibly a small kiddie size Zorbing ball which just fits on your head ?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In 25 years of snowboarding I've never hit my head on anything. Well I once got a bloody lip from a spill on a dry slope I suppose.

Take up another sport if you think you'll be taking impact damage to your head - it's not worth the risk.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Take up another sport if you think you'll be taking impact damage to your head - it's not worth the risk.

So you think there is absolutely no risk of you ever hitting your head?

If so, may I politely suggest it is you who should take up another sport*, as your risk assessment abilities are somewhat lacking Shocked Even Shaun White had the odd hospital trip...

I'm not looking for another 'should I wear a helmet debate here', I was merely after an opinion on whether this particular type of helmet would be suitable for a beginner (who is more likely to fall than an experienced rider) and whether there were any others available, aside from the two mentioned.

I apologise if I've worded the question badly and made people think I am a liability on the slopes, for the record I've never had a bad fall (yet), but that doesn't mean I want to compromise with safety, I was reading about multi impact helmets earlier and they just seem logical (to me) for beginners, who are (surely) more likely to fall than experienced riders.

*sarcasm intended, please don't take offence, I was merely trying to make a point Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@vjmehra, I've been using a POC Skull lite for a while now and thats designed to take a few knocks. Not had need to rely it 'in anger' if you get my drift, but it does seem very well put together compared to most helmets I've owned or seen, and has taken a few minor clatters over its life from the odd drop, lift bar and the occasional trip to the floor with me in it. I'm also a heat generator and it's always been really good at venting heat away. Would I recommend it? Yes.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cool that's what I was hoping, I feel I should get my own rather than a rental, but was hoping for something that doesn't need to be replaced if I have a minor tumble!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Any helmet designed for racing fits your requirements. POC, Carrera, Giro, Head, Shred, Rossignol....to name a few brands that have a racing range. Helmets designed for slalom usually don't cover the ears whereas helmets for giant slalom (and faster disciplines) always do. But some racing helmets cover the ears and have mounting ponts for a chin guard, so can be used for slalom. Some slalom helmets include a chin guard, but in all cases I know of it should be removeable. But for many models the chin guard is an optional accessory. Since you are presumably not racing, a chin guard is not required.

I prefer a helmet which covers the ears, but many people don't like this. Try a few and see which you prefer.

Racing helmets are not cheap but they are durable. Both of mine (I have two Head Stivots, one with a chin guard mounted) have taken a lot of hard usage and are in good shape. A fair few crashes and plenty of whacks from slalom gates....

M
ski holidays
I am not racing as you say, but will check out the brands you mention, many thanks!
ski holidays
IMHO. Sweet Protection. They are big in the white water kayaking community because you will have multiple hits. They happen to make ski helmets too. I have one.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy