Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzbuhel, expensive?

Poster: A snowHead
I have spoken to a couple of people who said Kitz is very expensive in resort but have seen some reviews which suggest otherwise.

Please can anyone who has been recently advise typical costs for staples, food and most importantly beer in Kitz.

Many thanks in advance!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends what you mean. There are a few high end hotels there which I doubt are cheap. Plus the 'Londoner', one of the most popular bars with Brits is possibly the most expensive bar I've found in Austria. And there's some eye-wateringly expensive designer shops in town.

But on the whole, food on the mountain, beers, usual ski holiday expenditure I've found to be very good value for money, as is the case in many other places in Austria. There's also a whole host of affordable hotels and pensions.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well I saw one site idetifying the Londener as one of the resorts budget venues, where it's 5euros a beer - which didn't sound like Austria to me.

I was hoping it may be the designer lables (which I could not be less interested in) that had tagged it expensive.

It's highly unlikely we will be heading to any of the 5* venues, so what should we be expecting to pay in the typical Brit apres venues?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Like every single ski resort on Earth, there are cheap parts, mid parts, expensive parts, and 0.1% parts.

Just gotta dig harder for the cheapo stuff or the 0.1% stuff.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@2003cjh, you'll pay less if you go to traditional Austrian venues. All the 'Brit' bars like to, ahem, make the most from their captive audiences...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Whitegold yes I agree and I'm happy to roll with the punches and pay whatevers needed for a great trip, but one of the guys is uncertain about his job at the moment and would like to know whether there are better resort options considering his current financial cautiousness. All resorts do have a range of price points, but some 'cheap' resorts have expensive places that are still way cheaper than the 'cheap' places in expensive resorts.

@queen bodecia - the world over we Brits are happy to be taken on that ride, and then enjoy moaning about it - so why wouldn't they I suppose!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@2003cjh, Kitzbuhel isn't particularly expensive compared to other Austrian resorts imv. Have you already booked with a Tour Operator - are you on B & B or half board? If you've not already booked you might care to consider staying at nearby Kirchberg - the Fleckalmbahn takes you up to the same skiing area as Kitzbuhel, so it's a slightly cheaper way of skiing the Kitzbuhel slopes. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I haven't stayed in Kitzbuhel, so can't say much about town prices, but I have skied there twice this week (free train from St Johann), and a few times on previous trips, and the on-mountain prices seem fairly typical for Austria - which is not too expensive.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Was in Kitzbuhel last January and yes there are expensive bars but on the whole it was not to bad. Personally found it cheaper than Saalbach but obviously far more expensive than Soll. We are off to St Anton in a couple of weeks and I gather it is more expensive than Saalbach.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I stayed in kirchberg one week and visited kitzbuhel a couple of times. I don't recall it being especially expensive.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
On the whole it's no more expensive than anywhere else in Austria, but just avoid anywhere where you see miniature dogs being carried in handbags!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
On the mountain prices are pretty much the same as anywhere else in Austria. There are some plush places in town, but there are plenty of normal places too. We didn't spend any more than a week any where else.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On mountain I found it the same as many places. I remember ski hire and lessons as being a bit more. Worth checking if you need them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It feels inexpensive compared to a provincial UK town. Did a day there over New Year and a beer in the posh bar of the Kaiserhof was I think 4.20 Euro and waiter served. The Londoner is just somewhere you end up when you have run out of ideas - it's worn out and stinks of spilled beer.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@michael stocking, actually agree with this, ski hire was more expensive.
snow report
which other similar sized resort is Austria would be good for less expensive/budget during christmas, any suggestions

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 21-11-17 12:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@pressi, Saalbach
snow report
thanks, reading abt Saalbach I find they don't have much for kids/families the kindergarten slopes, Is this still correct.

How is skiwelt in terms of price, I am travelling with kids and want to add some touristy fun like staying in a pretty/small village close to access, is kirchberg any good (i mean in pretty village rating) given it has access to kitzbuhel.

Thought there is some snow this year, I am not sure if the toboggan runs will be open again this year, which resort is good for sledging/tobogganing.
ski holidays
Hinterglemm has excellent kindergarten areas. My daughter learned on them. Very central, with a 'snow train' picking up from further out areas. Progression to basic nursery slopes is then pretty seamless. Plenty of tobogganing and snow tubing for after. Only downside is the nursery slopes don't get much sun before mid-Jan. Upside of that is the snow doesn't get slushy very often.
snow conditions
@pressi, I don't know where you've been reading that, but actually Saalbach is a very good resort for families with kids (who make up a fair proportion of our guests). The children's ski-schools/kindergartens are excellent, with dedicated areas in the village centre and easy progression slopes. Tobogganing is available from the Maisalm and the Spielberghaus, as well as the purpose-built toboggan run at Hinterglemm (and of course the floodlit piste, open till 10.00pm). Other evening diversions include ice-karting (go-karting on ice), ski-doo touring and sleigh rides. The village itself is very pretty and compact, and the nursery slopes and lift stations are very accessible. There is quite a bit of ski-in ski-out accommodation, but whether you would still find any at a "budget" price during Christmas is open to question.
snow conditions
@pressi, I’d recommend Saalbach/ Hinterglemm too.

Another area to consider with a family is Rohrmoos just outside Schladming. Lots of gentle skiing on the Rohrmoos plateau. Steeper stuff nearby if needed. Mainly ski in/out accommodation and activities on nearly every evening especially if using the free bus down in to Schladming itself.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy